GD blood monitoring

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by anjadoem, Jun 4, 2011.

1. anjadoem

anjadoem Pregnant with #1 !

Anyone doing this? I have since yesterday and had high reading today, 2 hr's after eve meal but I did have a Chinese. Would that affect it. They said to call if I had 2 high readings in a week. Anyone had one High reading, then not another ?
    Paranoid now :-(

2. fedupwaiting

fedupwaiting Well-Known Member

I've just started testing too. It sucks doesn't it?

How high is high? My nurse said if I got 3 at 9 or over I should call in but I shouldn't panic.

Chinese takeaway uses a lot of sugar and if you had rice or noodles they are White refined produce so even a non diabetic would react.

If I were you I would keep calm and see how it is after breakfas tomorrow. If t is back to a normal Reading then you'll know Chinese is best avoided *sniff* I'm sad even telling you that!!!
    Pesky GD!!!

Xx

3. sw121

sw121 Mum of 1

I've been monitoring for about 11 weeks now. One of my highest readings was after a Chinese as well, so I wouldn't worry about it. My GD is well under control so I only have to test a few times a day, with every third day off. When I test after meals it is one hour after and I've been told the reading should be below 8. So far I've only had one reading above 8 - so yes, I've had one high reading and then nothing much else.

A lot of the monitoring is about trial and error to see what you can tolerate and learning about what you need to avoid.

4. FEDup1981

FEDup1981 Mam of two & two angels

I have GD and have learnt its not just about sugars, but carbohydrates that can turn into sugars, such as cereals, pasta, rice, potatoes - i get very high readings with all of these and can only eat tiny amount.

Its all about learning what YOUR body reacts to, as everyone is different. When you get a high reading make a note of what you ate, and either avoid it, or eat very small amounts xxx

5. Londonbump81

Londonbump81 Well-Known Member

yup, it's all about what affects the individual. I can eat all bran but not bran flakes...doh!! It is very strange and even now I'm on insulin it doesn't always brung readings down. My highest ever has been 8.7 so I don't consider my body to be completely useless in processing glucose but that pesky placenta and those hormones are in control!

All I can say is...don't eat out or takeaway food until your LO arrives, you don't know what's in it and how much. If you think about it it's not a massive sacrifice when you're getting a booootiful bubba out of it!
    oooh...try chicken stir fry with soy sauce instead, that's chinesy and soooo easy to make :) :)

6. mons75

mons75 Well-Known Member

There is lots of hidden sugars in things... Try follow the low GI diet. x