Gd, Csection Date

WishingStar12

Reaction score
Hi All, haven't posted in a while, just needed some advice from you experienced ladies if possible.

I have to have a Csection due to complications the first time round, not gd related.

This time I have gd and I'm on a high dose of insulin but my fasting readings still aren't controlled.

Does anyone know at week they will book me in for a section in the UK please? I've been told 38 weeks but the consultant mentioned weeks ago that they can bring it to 37 of the fasting bloods aren't controlled.

Anyone have any experience in this or know of anyone else to...

Thank youuu

Hi wishingstar, I'm currently on insulin at night to control my fasting levels too (and in the UK) but not allowed a c section before 39 weeks. My fasting levels are controlled now though but I get the impression even if they weren't, they'd just up the dosage rather than take me in earlier as my consultant is very anti-section (he wanted an induction like my last birth but i have other complications other than gd as well, severe SPD) so pushed for a planned section. I do know other consultants do agree to sections at 37/38 weeks for gd particularly when numbers aren't controlled like yours. When is your next appointment? I'd ask when your in what their thoughts are, they may want to keep an eye on your levels depending how far along you are and see if they can get them within target before they decide. Every hospital seems different for some reason x

Same here wishing. Fastings are terrible no matter how much insulin I'm on! Also have excess fluid. They are monitoring me 2 weekly and just depends how baby and I are as to whether they will section me at 37 or 38 weeks. Hopefully booking in a date on Tuesday, I think it will be about 37+4 if it's the date they mentioned before. If you can hang on to 38 it's better but really depends how pregnancy and baby are progressing. If you really wanted to hang on till 38/39 and everything is ok they should let you, I'm pushed by for slightly earlier as my SPD is so bad now I can't hardly walk x

I am in Canada and while my numbers are good on insulin I am dependent on it at meals and overnight. They deliver us 37-38w because at 37 weeks the placenta of a diabetic mother on insulin rapidly starts to deteriorate and odds of stillbirth go up. I have my c section at 37+1.

Update: they didn't book my section yesterday, they want me to up my insulin and have another scan in 12 days and then decide how it's looking. Consultant said if they section before 38ish they will give me steroids for baby's lungs. But will be a toss up between benefit for me and benefit for baby, I reckon if I can carry on till 38 I will as would rather avoid the steroids but depends what scan shows, am also concerned about placenta deterioration so am taking that into account x

I found out I had gd at 37 weeks following reduced movement which lead to a scan which showed baby was big for age, I had the diagnosis on 37 weeks and they induced me bang on 38 weeks and all went natural. I think they like to get you to 38 weeks and then deliver as I asked when I was diagnosed at 37 weeks could I have him now as he was big and developed etc but they said guidelines are 38 unless baby suffering

Hi ladies
I’m currently 37 weeks with gd managing with metformi twice a day overnight bloods doing ok. They have booked me in for csection bang on 38 weeks next Wednesday ( csection as had 3 previous) I’m in the uk and they said 38 weeks was where they wanted to get me to.
I hope all goes well xx

Thanks for your replies ladies, I have an update!
They have booked in for a section at 37+5, I will have to have the steroid injections before and be on a sliding scale for the insulin. Baby is measuring 7lb 6oz at the moment and I'm 35+4. Let's see how much more little one grows! I'm now on 77 units of insulin before bed and they have asked me to increase it by 7 units every 3 days. Good luck to you ladies, I hope you all get the deliveries that you wish for ��

Sounds good wishing, I think that's about where I will get to as well. Am hoping to make it to 38 weeks so won't need steroids but time will tell! Good luck x

Thanks wishing. Good luck to you too! Not long till you meet your baby�� x

Update... If you can avoid been hosp days prior to having baby then do!!
I was admitted today as planned for gd & section prep. So far they have attempted to get a cannula in in 3 different spots, they burst and bruised so 3rd person was called, it's in now and so uncomfortable along with the pain from the previous failed ones.
Had the steroid injection, ouchhh, pain wore off after 20mins.
Have to be tested for blood sugars every hour, again ouch but also no rest/sleep for me as I have to do them myself...they don't have a reader available for theirs...
Just about to shut my eyes till next time test and nurse comes in with a clexane injection for my stomach, it stung like hell for about 10 mins, she apologised and said it was from the fridge n should have been room temp.
I'm shattered n miserable and just wish I'd gone into labour on my own, at least that way I could have an epidural and not feel all this pain and tiredness!
Sorry for the rant!
Now to test again, good times

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"