Gender from first trimester blood panel? Also, did you find out gender or wait?

melissalynn

Noah's Mum!
Reaction score
I am going in on Monday for my NT ultrasound, that same day I have to go for the first trimester genetic screening panel. My son has a brain defect that has been declared not genetic but my OB wants to play it safe and is having me do that more in-depth early genetic testing.
I have seen online that some people have been told baby's gender after it was found in the blood work.

Have any of you learned the gender this way? I will only be 12w5d! So early for gender... and we were going to wait until birth.
I want to wait but I REALLY want to know, DH doesn't think I will be able to lol. He doesn't really care either way.
How do you feel about waiting to find gender? Have any of you waited? Is it worth it?

I had the early testing done with my daughter (now 2) and we found out she was a girl when we got the results about a week or so later. I would love to wait to find out the gender of this one since I already have a boy and a girl so we already have everything for either, but I know I am way too impatient lol. There is no way I can know someone else knows and I COULD know and NOT find out lol. I think it would be neat to do the old fashioned "IT'S A BOY/GIRL!!!" but at the same time, I HATE surprises lol so even if I COULD wait it might not be such a good idea hahaha

I've heard so many positive things with not finding out the sex before the child is born. My doctor even suggested it, she said its best not to know for baby showers because you get more of what you need verse cute girly or boy things. Also... I have some friends that have went completely natural and they said their motivation was to find out the sex of the baby. And I have also heard not knowing helps with gender disappointment.

personally I wish I had that laid back personality... but I want to know everything about the baby I can know before he/she is born... I had the blood test and could know tomorrow at my 12 week appointment, however we are having a gender reveal with the family in July so we will find out then

I had the screening done for my last baby and for this one as I'm over 35. I found out the sex both times. I have zero patience. To me it's exciting to find out at 12 weeks or 40 weeks!!

Nope zero patience. I was going to shell out the $400 for that test but my mom told me she wouldn't buy my crib or babysit or throw my shower if I was going to waste money on it. I did shell out $70 to find out at 16 weeks. I needs to know lol

I'll be doing the Panorama test that checks for chromosome abnormalities and can also give you the gender. I read you can get it done as early as 9 weeks! I will probably get it done next month.

We don't have the blood test that tells you the sex at your NT scan here (though you can get it privately if you want). I didn't have the genetic screenings with my daughter at all (just don't really have an interest in them) and won't with this baby either probably. But if you're having it done already, I don't see why not if you know you want to know. I wouldn't pay for it just for that though.

With our daughter, we waited until she was born to find out. I was happy with that, though in retrospect, I can see how it's nice to know. It was a shock to find out she was a girl (would have been a shock if she was a boy too!) and it would have been nice having a name in advance, etc. But I'm glad we waited. This time we do what to find out, but not til the 20 week scan. For no other reason really that we didn't know last time and now this will be our last baby, so we figure it would be nice to do it the other way this time. I also think if you have older children, who are old enough to understand that it's going to be one or the other, it's nice to be able to tell them. My daughter is 4, and very much wants a brother, so I'd like to be able to prepare her either way.

We had that blood test done with my first pregnancy and knew before 12 weeks that he was healthy and it was a boy! I loved finding out the gender early and we're planning to find out again with this one 🙂

I tried to do the genetic panel with gender but for some reason they said my sample was unusable. If you want to know just make sure they mark on your paper that you do. The nurse that drew my blood for it said there was a box they had to check to get that specific result. I don't know if it's true for all of the panels but better safe thansorry with mentioning it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->