gender: to find out, or not to find out - that is the question...

The way I see it, what's wrong with being surprised by finding out at the scan? You're still surprised, just 20ish weeks sooner.

I didn't find out with our first, and it really did help me through labor and also when the baby was born it was so exciting seeing my partner scream "it's a boy" (he actually scared the crap out of me, he was so loud:haha:)
I found out with my other 2 just because i was impatient, and well honestly the last 20 weeks of pregnancy were quite, i dunno, boring i guess.
I am now pregnant with #4 and we didn't find out, i am so excited and happy we didn't find out, it will give me more of an incentive to push him/her out, and i am really looking forward to hearing my partner yell out again! :haha:

I know people say they find out to be prepared, but instead of buying things we are putting money away weekly, and only buying a couple of basic things so when the baby is born we can go on a massive shopping spree as soon as i am out of hospital! also my partner is taking 1 month off work so in that month we will set up the nursery, as the baby will stay in our room for a while anyway!

Also the other reason i did not find out is when i found out with the other 2, i was still scared that the ultrasound person was wrong, it does happen! but i was worried that i went nuts on buying pink or blue and the baby would come out the opposite sex.

The way I see it, what's wrong with being surprised by finding out at the scan? You're still surprised, just 20ish weeks sooner.

This is true. However I guess I just feel like it makes for a much more exciting moment for me when you go through labour/c-section and the baby is born and they announce "it's a boy/girl!" and then shortly after you can hold him/her and see them face to face. I guess either way it's still a surprise. It's important to be sure because once you know you can't unknow. It's one of the few surprises life has to offer.

I am totally against finding out the sex (for us anyway), for all the exact reasons everyone else has mentioned above. Unfortunately, my 19 week scan was last week and the tech was training someone and they pretty much gave the sex away. I have been so upset about this. It has ruined the rest of the pregnancy for me because I can't sit and wonder anymore what the little one that's kicking me is, and I especially didn't want to know because I was using it as a method to get me through my c-section. It looks like we're having a boy this time....that would've been an amazing surprise for us since we already have a girl. That moment is ruined...I'm really upset about it. Thrilled to be having a boy though! I guess I still don't know 100% but.......

Aw that's really so unprofessional - this happened to someone else in first tri recently and it just seems such a basic consideration on behalf of the sonographer to think about whether you want to know or not and to respect that absolutely. Well anyway like you say, you don't know 100% - a few people have said they were given the wrong result at these things! :hugs::hugs:

I think its a personal decision but you know in you heart if you want to find out or not.I found out with my 1st and glad i did as it was killing me going shopping and not knowing to buy pink or blue,then after i knew i went out and got all his clothes etc ready.This time i`m diying to find out to :) xx

We want to find out because we want to know more about the little person inside me. Knowing if it's a boy or girl will reveal more about the little person and help us prepare for their arrival. It will help us bond with the baby even more :)

I don't want to find out as I really want it to be a surprise for us both and we don't really mind whether it's a boy or a girl so there doesn't seem a lot of point in asking.

Also I am getting more determined not to find out as people keep trying to guilt me into it - my mum being the worst "Oh it'll be so much easier to go shopping if I knew" - Well it didn't stop me spending over £100 on clothes this weekend :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->