Gestational Diabetes test question. Update pg 2.

Pux

Ryley's Mom
Reaction score
I had my test for gestational diabetes this morning. I drank the "sugar drink and was told to sit in the waiting room for an hour and then they would call me in to get my blood taken.

After about 50 minutes I all-of-a-sudden got light headed, cold sweats, dizzy and wanted to puke.

So I told one of the nurses I didn't feel ok and that I was going into the washroom because I thought I was going to vomit.

I sat on the toilet with my head down and did some deep breathing. After about 5 mins I got up and splashed some cold water on my face and I started to feel a bit better.

So when I came out of the washroom, the nurse was looking for me and asked if I had vomited. I said luckily, no. She said that's good, because if I had they would have had to reschedule me and do the test again another day. I came home and had a 2 hour nap and I still feel icky.

So my question is: has anyone had a reaction like this when they had to have this test done? What do you think it is? Was it the drink or maybe just sitting in a stuffy, overcrowded waiting room?

Thanks!

:shock:

I'm not sure about that reaction, but I have my test tomorrow morning (am on the fasting bit right now!)

I'm not having the "sugar drink" though; it sounds pretty gross from what I've heard! I've been given the choice of bringing my own Lucozade, which I took eagerly! I'll let you know if I get the same reaction tomorrow! Ugh, I hope not though...

You may be right, it might just be the whole 'pregnant lady sat in a stuffy room for ages with nothing but an icky drink in her belly' scenario that made you feel so icky... Hope you're feeling better!

:hugs:

Shadow xx

Actually I kinda liked the drink! It was VERY sweet, but just tasted like that orange pop you used to get from MacDonalds.

I didn'y have to fast. In fact; I ate breakfast of oatmeal and fruit and hour before and they said that was ok.

it may have been a little of both, the drink and the stuffiness. The drink has a really high sugar content so maybe if your not a person who ordinarily has a lot of sugar, it made u feel that sickly feeling. I also know u aren't allowed to eat or drink for a certain amount of hours before hand so with that and the stuffiness I could see why you may not have reacted well to the test.

I was allowed to go when i had mine done and had to return in the hour.I felt bit panicky at one point though and had to go out a shop and into the cool air.I was told if i was faint/dizzy /sick to tell them straight away. Im not quite sure what it means if you vomit etc....but to be honest i felt bit shakey and i think it was because i was dying to eat and couldn't. x

I have mine in 4 weeks I think. I have to have their drink and fast from 12pm the night before.

I had my test last tuesday and the drink wasnt nice. I was told to try and drink it as fast as i could to get it down, because the taste was nasty. Then i went and sat down in the waiting room for two hours. I think i felt sick because i had to fast from 10pm the night before and drinking the sugary drink on an empty stomach made me feel icky.

That's funny, cs22, cos the lady who did mine this morning told me NOT to drink it quickly, because it might make me wanna puke and then they'd have to redo the whole thing, like Pux said...

Mine went fine actually, but I did have a little bit of wooziness and lightheadedness, I must say. Though that could be more to do with my low blood pressure than the test. The lucozade wasn't very nice (I've not had it in years and couldn't remember whether I liked it or not!) but it was bearable :)

Good luck to you girls who have this test coming up! I get my results tomorrow.

Shadow xx

That's funny, cs22, cos the lady who did mine this morning told me NOT to drink it quickly, because it might make me wanna puke and then they'd have to redo the whole thing, like Pux said...

Mine went fine actually, but I did have a little bit of wooziness and lightheadedness, I must say. Though that could be more to do with my low blood pressure than the test. The lucozade wasn't very nice (I've not had it in years and couldn't remember whether I liked it or not!) but it was bearable :)

Good luck to you girls who have this test coming up! I get my results tomorrow.

Shadow xx

She told me to drink it quite quick because the after taste wasnt nice and that was more likely to make me sick. Oh well all done now. How long do you all have to wait for the results? Ive got a week x

I was talking to a friend last night (who is a nurse) and she said " I'll bet you have diabetes"

I'm guessing that my doctor will have the results tomorrow when I go in for my checkup. I'll let you all know.

You normally have to drink the drink within 5minutes of starting it... If the drink makes you unwell and you have to have it again, ask for lucozade..

I drank it within 2 minutes (I liked it!) I don't think we have Lucozade here in Canada.

I'm glad I don't have to do that again. If I feel that crappy every time I have to do it, I may have to scream!

So my test came back normal. Hopefully I won't have to do one of those again!

Why did she think you would be diabetic just because you felt sick after drinking it?

If you had it, you would have had other symptoms by now as well.

I have got my test due on 29/4/09 but I couldn't see anything in the letter about the drink test. All it said was about some blood tests. I have got to fast from 9pm the previous evening. Have my blood tests done hang around for 2 hours and then go home lol. I am not looking forward to the blood tests as they can never find a vein easily, I always end up coming out black and blue! I look like a junkie.lol

Thank god i don't have to do this it doesn't sound to great.

I have mine on May 15th - I am not looking forward to it.

:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"