Gestational Diabetes

starah

Reaction score
My apologies if this has been posted before, but I'm gettin tested for gestational diabetes soon here, and if it's positive what happens? I have no idea lol. Do you have to take meds or something?

ick! I got this test yesterday!! Although I can't answer your question....really..I asked my MW yesterday the same and she said that it is something they take very seriously and if it comes back positive they put you on a very strict diet, not sure what else though. And the drink wasn't as bad as everyone was making it out to be, it was very very sweet, I got orange flavored and it tasted like orange soda w/o carbonation.. It did give me a head ache and made me very very sleepy and kind of turned my stomach because I was hungry! lol, but it wasn't so bad. The worst part of it was waiting there for an hour before they drew my bloods...blah!! Good luck, hun :hugs:

I test positive for GD, what would you like to know?

My first appointment after being GD+, was to go to a diabetic maternity clinic, get re-scanned, to check on baby, see someone about a good idea, see consultant and learn how to blood test 4 times a day

I get the orange one too, and I love orange pop so I'll prob like it haha. My SIL said the only bad part really was they gave it to her warm - YUCK!

And I suppose I was just wondering what changes if you have gestational diabetes. You have a strict diet? Are there certain foods you can/cannot eat? I get I'm not really familiar with diabetes so I don't know anything about gestational diabetes either. I suppose I could just wait til I get the test but I'm too curious hehe

OMG, what is this drink you are all talking about...I am due to have the test in May and I thought it was a matter of walking in and having your bloods taken not having some drink.....On a more serious note, I also had no clue what it meant until after I had read the other posts, I didnt realise it was that serious that you had to have bloods four times a day. My MW suspects that I might have had it undiagnosed with my last pregnancy as my DS was nearly 10lbs, hence the referral. The needles are bad enough but having this 'orange' drink you are describing sounds gross

Well it depends on how serious your blood sugars are.

Some women can control it by diet alone, ie I've cut out sugar, sweet things and have to lower all carbs in meals.

Some women can control it by having long acting insulin over night and diet control

And some women, like me, have to have, three sets of insulin injections a day and monitor diet as well.

I was going to say if you get to make the drink up at home, my m/w suggested making up night before and put it in fridge as it tastes better colder

Hmmm, I too am a possible one for having the GD test: I will know next week whether they want to do it or not, but if they do and I have it, I have NO idea what to expect!
Can I ask what symptoms you ladies have, are there things that you notice yourselves, or is it just purely something that affects baby and shows up in your urine/blood analysis??

Thanks!
Shadow xx

There are factors that midwives look for...

If you are gaining weight quickly, positive urine samples, your BMI is high and if you are (not sure how to phrase this anymore) asian/oriental. Also if your family has a history of type 1 or type 2 diabetes in the family.

I fit none of those how ever!!

Natalie, does everyone have to have this drink before the appointment as no-one has told me anything about it. My appointment is in May and I have already received everything else but no 'drink'. Should I ask MW tomorrow

I am having the test in May and I was told to go to the hospital at 9am, no food after midnight the night before, and I'd be given this drink and they'd take blood before and a few hours after. I think it said it'd take 3 hours. Does that sound right? Is it really that long?

Not all places give you a drink to drink at home.. some will ask you to come in at a certain time give you the drink then two hours later take your blood test. No food from approx 10pm and then only sips of water. Just remember to take some food, you'll be starving. My hopsital give us the powder, I take it two hours before I am due in and then they take the blood asap.

Would antacids like Rennies count as food? Not sure if I can get through a night on an empty stomach without something... plain water sets off my heartburn terrible!

I'm not sure... check with m/w. I would stay off everything until bloods been taken, but thats me personally.

Ive got this test on Tuesday and im not looking forward to it at all. I HATE NEEDLES :hissy::hissy::hissy:

I'm not a fan of them... I look away at that point however I'm fine testing my own blood and doing insulin injections

Would antacids like Rennies count as food? Not sure if I can get through a night on an empty stomach without something... plain water sets off my heartburn terrible!

Hi, On my letter for this test it says no Rennies or Gaviscon.

There are factors that midwives look for...

If you are gaining weight quickly, positive urine samples, your BMI is high and if you are (not sure how to phrase this anymore) asian/oriental. Also if your family has a history of type 1 or type 2 diabetes in the family.

I fit none of those how ever!!

Hmmm... Well I only fit the "positive urine samples" bit, but also my nephew (age 10) has severe type 1 diabetes. Maybe this puts me at a bit more risk, I'm not sure...

I'm not too worried though: I'm not afraid of needles! I'll do what I have to if I end up testing positive for it!

Good luck ladies who have the test soon. Thanks for all the info, Natalie!

Shadow xx

Hope everything is ok.I got recalled for a GTT as my reading was high - luckily for me it was a false alarm and they never mentioned it again so guessing it had been ok. x

Hi ladies,

I stumbled across this thread accidentally when nosing in the pregnancy pages... I'm currently TTC but thought it might help to share my experience of diabetes.

Warning... long post!

I have been diabetic for the last 9 years. The test for diabetes is called a glucose tolerance test. When I was tested I had to fast from 10pm the night before, arrived at the hospital and was given Lucozade to drink. A line was then put in my arm (easier than putting a new needle in each time they need to take blood). After 30 mins to an hour they start taking a sample of blood every 20 mins or so. Once the blood is taken each time the line is flushed with saline to make sure that the line is clear. They will take blood every 20 mins or so for about 3 hours. What they're looking for is to see how high your sugar level shoots up and how long it takes for the sugar level to come back down. Diabetes makes your sugar level shoot up really high and take ages to come back down because there isn't enough insulin to bring it down quickly. They can also do a test called HbA1c which gives an indication of what your sugar levels have been over the last few weeks. This should be between 5 and 7 if your control is good. This test will be done for each hospital visit if you are diagnosed diabetic.

Before TTC I was taking tablets twice a day and eating sensibly (i.e. 3 proper meals a day). Fortunately I was able to have the sweet treats like chocolate and pastries that I enjoy. When I decided to TTC I was taken off the tablets (not licenced for use in pregnancy) I was started on insulin injections. I inject 3 times a day and check my sugar level 90 mins after eating (when pregnant I think you check it an hour afterwards) which is when the sugar level peaks. The aim is to keep your sugar level within a tight window. High sugar levels can cause various complications including big babies (yup, I'm really looking forward to that one).

What I would say is that the test isn't too bad. The blood test kits you use for home testing are really small and well designed these days and if you have to take insulin, again the insulin pens are really well designed and easy to use. The needles are really fine and don't hurt (unless it's blunt but you should change the needle regularly!). A diabetic diet is nothing special - it's actually what everyone should be eating anyway!

Please don't panic about it - diabetes can take a bit of getting used to but it's not at all the end of the world.

Good luck! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"