Gestational Diabetes

I just got the results back from my Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT). The first test they do is the Gest. Diabetes screen, it's one vial of blood, and you don't have to fast for it (at least in Canada you don't). You drink the sugar drink, mine actually tasted like flat sprite, and it was cold, so that helped. If that one comes back high, you go for the GTT. The GTT you do have to fast for 10 hours. They bring you in to the lab, take one vial to find your fasting blood sugar (mine was 5.2, which apparently is really good), and then they give you the sugar drink again, this time in a more concentrated form. After one hour, they take another vial of blood (my 1 hr. test was high), and then again after two hours (my 2hr. test was normal again). Here you get poked three times, but it's only one vial each time, so it's quick.

I found out today that I do have Gest. Diabetes, but my appointment with the hospital isn't until next week, so maybe it's not really too bad that they have to rush me in. I'll be 34 weeks by the time I go next week, so I really don't have that long to be watching my diet. I am unfortunately overweight, but there is no history of diabetes in my family (except my grandfather, but apparently that doesn't count in this case). I'm measuring properly for dates, and baby seems healthy. I feel fine too, so maybe it's just minor? I know talking on another board, alot of the women who have it on there seem to able to control it without insulin. It just depends on how sensitive your body is. I imagine I will still have to test 4 times a day, but I don't think I'll have to have shots. Although I won't know until next week.

Good luck with your test, and don't stress, like the PP said, it's not the end of the world.

I had my GTT on Tuesday, it really wasn't that bad, I only had it done due to have PCOS. I was on a high carb diet for 3 days then nothing from 10pm the night before except water. Got to the hospital at 8.30am, had loads of blood taken, had the drink which really wasn't bad, just like slightly sweet water and then waited in the waiting room for 2 hours followed by more bloods. Just waiting for the results now. Try not to worry, it really wasn't bad, take care :hugs: XX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->