Getting a 6 year old to interact with a 1 year old

charlotteb24

Noah & William's Mummy
Reaction score
My 6 year old step son has found it very difficult from day 1 to communicate and interact with my nearly 1 year old son. We have gone through the blatant playing up, the reverting back to bed wetting etc etc and have come through the other side. However now that Noah is bigger, he finds it really difficult to communicate and show Noah attention and play with him which Noah is desperate for.

At home, DSS is the baby of the family with no younger siblings so its a bit of a culture shock for him when he comes to stay with us. He loves Noah and he tells us he does, but he doesn't understand babies or how to play with them but despite our best efforts he still wont do anything with him!

Anyone have any suggestions? :dohh:

Hey, I have a 6 year old daughter and a 1 year old son. Aimee has found it hard to understand how to play with babies too. I always find they get on best when Jason is playing with something Aimee can help him with like his blocks, pop up toy and shapesorter. Does you DS enjoy playing with cars or balls? Perhaps they could roll a ball or push cars back and forth.

Thanks Hun, I will try that when he is down next week. It may be that now my son is walking and Ss hasn't yet seen him walking, he may be better with him. If I can drag him from his nintendo DS for long enough I will give it a go! He's not very sociable at the best of times!

Lol, No niether is Aimee. She is into the whole Nintendo thing as well. XD. Good luck!

I'm glad it's not just him then lol! We didn't give him the nintendo for 2 days and believe it or not he played really well with him for well over a day and a half! So that's a vast improvement! Then he got the nintendo back and well, nobody got any sense out of him the entire time! Lol! But it's an improvement!

thats fab - i have a near 7 year old and tbh i think he has only held his baby sister twice in the 6 weeks she has been here - occasionally in the passing he will say hello to her, but thats it - hes a boy and hes just not interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->