Getting a puppy...

F

FemmeEnceinte

Thought I'd post this here as there are other ladies with doggies and at similar stages to me who might be able to offer advice.

Myself and OH are thinking of getting a Jack Russell pup. I've had Jack Russells before so I know what I'm letting myself in for... however, should I be waiting until the baby is a certain age? I know that having a dog already established in the house is one thing but getting a puppy and having a baby so close together?

I walk my mum's dogs almost daily, because she's a lazy cow and wont do it. I love them but my sister can take over that if I get a dog of my own. We live right on the edge of a massive and beautiful park, I've trained doggies before and know what to expect... I'm just wondering if the timing is bad???

hi hun!

to be honest, i'm thinking maybe hold off on the pup until baby is here and settled? I think it would be easier that way as the baby will already be part of the furniture (so to speak!) when pup arrives. I know some people have difficulty brining a baby home when they have a dog already there as it can upset things in the house for them, but if baby is already there then pup can be used to it straight away. I for one am dreading bringing baby home for first time to meet my 2 cockers - i know one will be absolutely brilliant, but the other is very into having the attention all to himself so may find it difficult to adjust to the fact that our attention will be elsewhere.

Just my opinion though! xxx

It's a nice thought to have them growing up together. I'm looking forward to it.
I have a beagle who is just over a year old and still very much a puppy. I can't wait for him to meet bubby and I know they'll give each other great companionship.

Beagles are brilliant around children as you can push and pull them about and they'll never retaliate.

I would personally wait until sometime after the baby is born. Puppies are demanding of time and attention and I think you'll have enough on your hands for awhile with the routine you'll be in with baby, without also having to work around the routine you need for the pup.

I have a year and a half old lab (I know labs and JRs have different temperaments/energy levels but still) and it was a long first year that I couldn't have done if I was also pregnant and then having a little one to care for and having to spend time on training and exercising a puppy.

I actually think the timing works really well. You'll have time to concentrate on training the pup before baby arrives this way, and the pup will still be young enough to adapt.

No, its a good opinion and what I was worried about. Will take it on board thanks.

Thanks all, I'm being careful to listen to both positives and negatives so that I don't just rush out and buy one. Haha

Thanks all, I'm being careful to listen to both positives and negatives so that I don't just rush out and buy one. Haha

What are the development rates of JR's out of curiosity?

Labs don't really hit maturity until they're around 2 years old, so while they're easily trained, there's a few adolescent stages along the way where they 'forget' all the rules, and they tend to be high energy and need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation or they entertain themselves in house destructing ways (I was lucky to avoid this). I've had lab owners tell me that raising a lab from puppyhood is like a crash course on parenting. :mrgreen:

We got a new puppy in June and I thought it would be fine due to summer, etc. and that I'd have more time to train. Well, Chase started crawling so has been keeping me so busy. Sometimes I wish I had not brought up the idea of getting a puppy at this time.

We have issues with Chase's toys going missing or being chewed up too. LOL

You may be ok though. I have three kids and businesses to run so very busy around here.

Another thing that is positive on your side is that you can do some training with the pup before baby is here :)

What are the development rates of JR's out of curiosity?

Labs don't really hit maturity until they're around 2 years old, so while they're easily trained, there's a few adolescent stages along the way where they 'forget' all the rules, and they tend to be high energy and need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation or they entertain themselves in house destructing ways (I was lucky to avoid this). I've had lab owners tell me that raising a lab from puppyhood is like a crash course on parenting. :mrgreen:

Well, they're incredibly easy to train because they're such curious little things and piggies too so a treat here and there and they'll do pretty much anything. You can start pretty much straight away and I'd say within 4 months you could have them trained to a decent standard. They're generally mischievous and energetic little things, which is fine as, even though I'd be training the pup, I'd never want to break it's spirit... that's the best part of a Jack Russell. We walk through the park every day and live on the edge of town so could walk it around there too so there'd be endless exercise opportunities, plus once the baby is here she'll probably need to go for a walk in the pram to help her nap during the day most days anyway... doggy can come too!

I don't know, I'm sort of thinking that 3 1/2 months is enough to get basic training instilled before baby arrives, the pup will be young enough to accept a newcomer taking away some of the attention for a while and I'm planning to stay at home for a year and then return to studying part time for a few years after so... I'd not be leaving the dog alone. I feel a bit like, it's either now or in a year's time. But then I also think "surely you can wait a year, what's the rush? are you just bored?". I worry myself thinking I'm being too rash.

It's a nice thought to have them growing up together. I'm looking forward to it.
I have a beagle who is just over a year old and still very much a puppy. I can't wait for him to meet bubby and I know they'll give each other great companionship.

Beagles are brilliant around children as you can push and pull them about and they'll never retaliate.

We have a beagle too!! He is world's friendliest wee animal but I still worry a lot about what will happen with the baby comes. It is very much just me, him & OH at the minute and I don't know what changes a 4th person will bring!

He also loves chewing anything soft and has already tried to still the baby's socks when I haven't been looking!

Our friend has a toddler @ 3 years old. He comes round every once in a while and Max is great with him. The only thing is when her boy jumps about, Max gets a bit disorientated by his shoes and looks sometimes like he goes to go for the shoes! I don't think its in badness though... :/

As for getting a new puppy, I know when we got Max, it was verrrrrry stressful. I don't think I would be able to do it now, whilst pregnant. It was tough enough when we had no stress!!!

We have been planning to get a dog for years and have been contemplating the same thing for a while. When is a good time? I would like to get a puppy since I do like the idea of raising them from a young age, but we have decided we probably won't get one until our bun is 4-6 months old. That will give time for us to get into a routine and have a better idea of what to expect. We are worried about getting overwhelmed by becoming new parents to a baby and puppy too close together!
Also we are thinking of getting an older dog from a rescue, as there is a great rescue organization in our city and I know a few people who have great dogs from there.
Still undecided though!

My friend has 2 JR's and they are what you describe - VERY energetic and really smart! His dogs not only think they are large dogs, but will run/fetch/play for hours without a break. He has to make them stop and rest LOL. I am looking at a much lower energy breed - haha.

Bu remember if you get a puppy - you must post some pics on the ASAP!! :D

I have 2 dogs at the present moment. I've always had dogs. I'm now about 7 weeks pregnant & i'm not worried about having the baby & the dogs. my girl Koda is a rottie & 7 yrs. old, & I have mixed pup 7 months old & is a holly terror right now. he should be good by the time the baby comes. but, I think it's upto each one.

I personaly would wait and enjoy the time with your baby first without putting a puppy in that mix. I found our puppy was too much with a 6 year old never mind a baby!!

I think when the baby is here see how you feel about it then as if it is too much you can't just take it back.

But it is totally your choice and how you feel about it.

I was thinking of getting a rottie puppy last night while in bed but i woke up this morning and though what was i thinking!!

As you know hun i got my puppy 8wks ago ish to get her training out of the way & her settled in before baby is born that way i wont be still having to do all the full on training as such, She'll be getting spayed around time bumps due too.

It depends how young a pup you want imo , if you want an 8wker then wait until baby is older. If you don't mind going for a slightly older pup then it'll be 6/7mth old by time baby comes & hopefully of settled & be trained in time if you get me.

Mind you when baby is first born all they do for weeks is sleep anyway so you would still be able to train its just the going in hospital bit & then that 1st week home you would struggle if tired or had a section . x

ha ha my 3 beagles are gonna have fun when LO arrives

I think if you're having doubts, you should wait, you know what to expect, what you're capable of and how much you can cope with...if you're feeling undecided, you should wait.

It doesn't do any harm at all to wait a while, you may find having baby enough to cope with when they're here without adding to your load with a puppy that will also demand your attention and will equally find methods to gain it (chewing and messing are all strategies pups will pull for a bit of attention). The WORST thing that could happen is you get puppy now but find it too much after all and decide it's easier to get rid of puppy for the tme being.

By waiting till after baby is born, the WORST thing is you lose a few months bonding time with baby and puppy, but to be honest baby is so young then there isn't any loss at all, they wont even notice! And you get time to settle and adjust to your and baby's new routine before bringing a whirl wind puppy in to the house, who also deserves your full attention.

Only you know what you're capable of though, whatever ladies on here suggest or recommend. Good luck with your decision.

Hi, i have 2 dogs, one lab who is 2 years old and a akita/staff that will be 2 in November. Im very confident that my dogs will be fine with baby and no trouble at all.

I would definately get a puppy now, suppose i think a dog needs more time to settle than a baby so maybe give puppy abit of time to settle now before baby arrives.

I know its going to be alot easier for us because our dogs are a little older! weve also got a bird, a conure, who i think is going to be more trouble than the dogs!!!

good luck with your decision but as a dog owner would say GO FOR IT!!!!

xxx

I'd get a new dog now whilst bubs is still cooking. I wouldn't relish housebreaking a pup and having a new baby at the same time. As an owner of terriers (westies) getting a bitch might be a good idea I've found them easier to train in general than their male counterparts!

Hi ya

Sorry but NO WAY would I get a puppy now - imo you need at least a year to get them where you want them to be. I am speaking from my experience with bigger dogs that mature slower but how about neutering? first season? (if getting a bitch) training a 5 month old pup when heavilyt pregnant would be my idea of hell. If you are experienced dog owner and know how it all works then yes go for it but they (like humans) vary sooo much and suppose pup isnt house trained by the time bubs comes along? dogs weeing on the floor and new babies EEKKKK. My dogs are 3,4 and 5 and I would say are only just at the point where they can handle it.

Another option if you really are set on a dog is getting an older rescue - some are rehomed for millions of reasons (the recession being one of them) a 3-5 year old with no 'hang ups' would be ok ish. I still wouldnt mind you (sorry)

I am involved with rescues and i see sooo many people that do the whole baby and puppy thing and its sooo hard and heartbreaking to have to rehome - again imo why not wait a few years???

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->