Getting fallopian tubes checked

jennifer28

Reaction score
I am going crazy with this waiting game....I have been TTC for over a year now, my doctor did the blood tests for my hormones and etc and everything came out normal. Now I am going to do a test with this dye to see if it flows through my fallopian tubes. I have three children already and wonder what could have blocked my tubes if they are even blocked. I am so nervous, I hope my tubes aren't blocked. Baby dust to every one

Good luck with the test. I hope that they can help you.

Good luck with the test and hopefully a solution emerges for why TTCing isn't working for you.

Make sure you take some advil beforehand. It can be an uncomfortable test. I had some cramping afterwards. Just wanted to make sure you were prepared. Good luck!

I just had the HSG (the dye test) to check out my tubes. I took 4 Advil before and felt no discomfort, less than a pap smear. I was slightly lightheaded and a little crampy afterward, but nothing to write home about. Oh, and bring a pad because they ones they give you are from the stone age (you'll have dye discharge and can't use tampons). I hope you see the dye go through your tubes and drift away perfectly! Relax and good luck!

Yes, make sure to take pain meds like 30 -45 minutes ahead of time. Make sure to keep breathing. You will feel a little cramping when the dye moves through.. and if they are cool they will let you see the screen and point out where the dye is emptying out of the uterus through the tubes.

Sometimes tubes can get blocked from scarring (sometimes caused by STDs or IUDs). Other times and very often debris gets lodged into the tubes.. as they are very thin like a spaghetti noodle. Well actually more like angel hair pasta. For many women who have the debris, the dye actually works like a flush ... something like a colon cleanse... and gets all the gunk out of the tube... many women get their BFP the very same cycle. So good luck and happy bding!

Thank you for all of your useful answers. I am just counting down the days.....

I just had the HSG test yesterday and it wasn't that bad but it was definitely uncomfortable. I took 800mg of Advil an hour before. Thankfully, my Dr did it instead of the radiologist (she was there but didn't really do anything except comfort me and run the machine) My Dr. was really gentle and told me everything he was about to do which was helpful. He used novacaine first which felt like a bad pinch for 2 seconds. There was a little pinching when he inserted the catheter but I just took some deep breaths. When he put the dye in, I felt cramping that lasted for about 10 mins. I felt a little lightheaded afterwards and the radiologist let me lay there for 5 mins until I felt better. I took a couple more advil later in the day when I felt crampy and I am still spotting a little. Luckily, my tubes were clear. I heard it is more painful if your tubes are blocked. Honestly, the anticipation was worse than the whole procedure which is over in 5 mins!

I had also heard that the pain was worse if your tubes were blocked so I was very nervous. I had my left tube removed 3 months before my test so I was still sensitive and scared that it would hurt because basically my tube was blocked, well it just ended anyway, so there would be pressure. But there wasn't, though I have a high pain tolerance. The Advil really helped and my meditative state. I was prepared for the discomfort so I was happily surprised when there wasn't really much. So prepare yourself right and it will go just fine :winkwink:

I have mine on tuesday when is yours jennifer28? x

I'm a little worried as I think I may need to have this done. My gynaecologist has ordered blood tests for the start of my next cycle and I'm having a scan done tomorrow (although I have had this before). She has mentioned about checking to see if my tubes are blocked before starting any treatment as there wouldn't be much point if things aren't working properly.

Good luck for your test, I hope it goes well!

Good luck hun! So what is the procedure like? What do they do?

Good luck hun! So what is the procedure like? What do they do?

They will lay you out like a pap smear with an x-ray machine over your abdomen and put the speculum in place. They give your cervix a shot of numbing solution which will feel like a pinch. They set up a framework of tools to make sure everything is lined up and to help guide the Dr. Then they insert a skinny but long tube into your cervix and pump a small amount of dye into your uterus. You will feel a little pressure. They will look at the x-ray machine to watch the dye enter your uterus and travel up your fallopian tubes and see what it shows. They do this to see whether your tubes are open; in which case the dye will flow out the ends and drift away in the abdominal cavity. Or if your tubes are dilated; in which case you will see a sausage shape near the ends of the tubes. Or if the tubes are blocked; in which case you will not see the dye flow out but just stop at the end. Once they get the picture they take the tube and framework off and the speculum is out and you get a pad to catch the dye that leaks back out. That's it.

My x-ray showed that my left tube was gone (surgically removed due to ruptured ectopic) and my right tube was dilated at the end but open (or "patent" as the Dr.s like to say). My obgyn couldn't tell me any more and said I needed to see a fs to get any feedback about the future. We still haven't found our fs but we should get one in the next few weeks. We're not thinking we want another ectopic so we're planning IVF for this summer :) Good luck ladies, FXd that you have happy healthy tubes :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->