Getting Married Abroad

Pingu

Mummy to 2 xx
Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone already or is anyone getting married abroad?

I was wondering how you coped with peoples reactions to not getting married at home?

My OH told his parents that we will be getting married abroad next year or 2011 and it hasn't gone down too well. I just wish that they would understand it is what we both want. They have already been really off with us as we are expecting our baby and not being married first. This has now got their back up even more!

:)

Me and OH were originally getting married abroad, just the two of us. My family were fine but it didn't go down well with his mum and dad. In the end we are getting married here cos I wanted everyone to be happy x

My family are really happy for us to go abroad. I don't want to be pushed into having a wedding we both don't want. I may ask OH to have another chat with her and explain that he wants it too as I think she believes he is doing it for me!

My husband and I got married in barbados on the beach in 2004, luckily My family(mum,dad,sister and inlaws and my hubbys family) all wanted to come, so we didnt upset those, just my close freinds were a bit upset as they could,nt come to the wedding but we made sure we had fantastic hen and stag dos with our freinds and we also promised that we would have a massive party for our 10 year anniversary for all of our family and freinds. Dont worry what others think, its yours and hubbys day and thats all that matters and its so unstressful getting married abroad as its all usually done for you.hope it all works out what ever you decide to do.xx

we're getting married next sept in florida - my parents were thrilled as we're all going for a holiday as well, and my OH's are quite happy too as they love it out there, so i think its win win for all, though i do think the rest of my family and friends were a little upset, but as i remember my nan saying to me (before she died) that if its what we want, then go for it :thumbup: i think you must do what you both want, its your big day after all :D

Thanks all. I understand that some people will be a little upsset but it is our day afterall so we will stick to what we want. I am starting to wonder even if it is the going abroad bit that is upsetting them, if we were to get married in the UK we would choose a hotel / castle, I think they would want us to have a church wedding.

We got married abroad but my parents had plenty of time to get used to the idea as since I was a kid I told them I would be doing that and not walking down the aisle! OHs parents didnt bother either. It was just the 2 of us on the day but that suited us :)

We got married abroad, and dh's family were a nightmare, then again they were a nightmare about everything to do with the wedding. We soon learnt u cant please everyone all the time so please ur selves. It's tough but worth it.

XXX

We are getting married in Kenya in January 2011.

We had originally planned to go to Stornoway (Island off Scotland) but even that caused problems with families. We had a rough patch and fell out (included me calling off the wedding and asking him to stay at his parents for a month) so no-one knows that everything is still on but the location has changed to make sure they can't come! I absolutely can't stand his family and neither can my own family stand them so it would just be a nightmare.

We want to have the wedding for ourselves, because I see so many people try to please everyone else and their memories are of stress etc. We are just booking it and then taking what we need.

We're letting his family know approx a week before we go to get married! - So there's no chance of them booking and turning up.

Plus - we've booked first class/premium seats both ways, and I got the dress I wanted £££! Along with a beautiful bouquet. We intend to go on a safari for 2 days too.

Why not just spend all the money on yourselves for your wedding :)

We are booking a function room with buffet and disco etc for a night on the weekend of our return - so I get to wear my dress again! And everyone can come to the reception!

Hope some of that helps any people indecisive!

We got married in Jamaica last March, and was the 2nd best thing we have done!

I have always wanted to get married abroad, and always told OH's family this, ( they really wanted a church wedding)

Originally we looked at Europe, as we thought it would be easier and cheaper for our friends and family - but there are so many restrictions! - illegal in Spain, have to be in france for 21 days before etc. We settled on greece, but was going to cost a fortune ( have to hire a hall etc) plus holiday expense.

One day, i just said, sod it, i have always wanted to get married in the Carribean, and this wedding is about us, so thats what we are doing!

It turned out no more expensive (£1k per head for 2 weeks AI 5*) than Europe, and i got my dream of a beach wedding (cant do in Europe)

It was sooooooooooooo stress free in the end!

We got to enjoy our day, not get wrapped up in whether the favours are the right colour etc! It was so nice, becuase pple often say your day goes so quick, because you are worrying about everyone else, and having to talk to aunties/uncles you havent seen for ages at night time, whereas for us, we had all been together for a week, there needed to be no pleasantness of "oooh, i havent seen you for a while, how are you" etc just a good meal and loads of drinks!

The best part? - 38 of our friends and family joined us! - we left our home town on a coach together, arrived at the hotel together, and got the coach home together

Oh, and in total ( including proper dress for me, 3 bridesmaids dress, 4 suits for the men, party for 200ppl back at home, holiday price, steel band, flowers, gazebo etc) it cost us £5k (£2.5k of which was the holiday!)

We are looking to get married abroad in 2011. Not quite sure where yet but some gorgeous Caribbean beachy location I hope. :happydance:

My parents aren't pleased either!! My mom refuses to fly (she's never been on a plane before and refuses to try) so she has demanded that my dad not come out of support for her and that my aunty/my brother/my grandad also all do as she commands.

She also thinks that gives her the right to demand DF's mum not be invited either as that would be unfair to my mum....but thankfully DFs mum is not one to be pushed around so we should at least have her to celebrate with us!! :D

Can't wait to be a bride and really can't wait to be his wife :cloud9: :blush:

We are looking to get married in Florida next october 2010.

I have been back and forth on this and originally decided to go against mine and Oh's wishes and get married at home so everyone could be there. But in order to do this we had to budget a small wedding with hotel and village hall. My Mum caused soooo many problems and non stop moaned about the whole thing... in the end we called it off (for various reasons).

We have now decided on Florida Oct 2010 as it has the beach wedding i want and the theme parks OH wants... guess what... Mum can not stop moaning about the whole thing... saying that I am letting the family down.. and there are hurricanes etc.

So you definitely can't please everyone!

I would prefer it to be just the two of us but there are people queueing up to come with us so they are more than welcome... they have plenty of notice and plenty of time to save.

Thanks all for your replies :). It does seem common that we can't please everyone!!

My parents will be over the moon to come abroad with us and I know lots of my other close family and friends would be willing to come. I do feel guilty on OH not having full support from his family but he has said what matters is that we have the day we both want.

Wow you have all got married / getting married in beautiful places. We were thinking of going somewhere in Europe to make it easier for others to travel but now we will look at the Carribean as that is what we really want :)

We're going to be getting married in Cuba, and we're only inviting our close family, and best friends.
And sometime shortly after we get home, we will be throwing a big reception here so everyone else can be a part of it! :)

Hey sweetie,

You have to do what you want and not worry about everyone else. If they are that bothered they might grumble a bit but they will make the effort to go and noone would dare say anything on the day!

I was really worried abuot pleasing everybody and then my mum told me that her and my dad got married in secret, only 3 couples who were close friends knew, 2 went with them, one looked after me and my sis and they didnt tell their parents! She said it was the best day of her life and wouldnt change anything!

I never knew this, seems me and my mum are more similar than what I thought! My mum did add that she would kill me if I did that to her lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->