Getting Mirena IUD in 2 weeks

TZNAY

Reaction score
I just booked my appointment today for my IUD. Will be getting it inserted in 2 weeks time.
Our family is complete but I am feeling quite sad
Logically we have to be done but now that I have booked my appointment it feels a lot more 'real' now. Now there will be no chance of pregnancy and it's a tough one for me. It's finally final. That's it. No more babies. Or ultrasounds or anything that goes with being pregnant.

I have a feeling once I leave my appointment in 2 weeks time I'll be an emotional mess.
Anyone else go through something similar? What helped you get through the finality of it all? I didn't think I'd be taking it this hard but my.emotions are getting the best of me.

Just to preface: Mirena is NOT a permenant form of birth control. It is good for 5 years only. It is removable at any time from a medical professional and you're able to get pregnant right away. It is also only 99% preventative and women HAVE become pregnant while using an IUD.

I would speak with your Dr if you are certain you want temporary birth control or a permenant solution!

Moving on from that...

It's very daunting. I signed the consent form to have my tubes tied at 32 weeks. I was so so so certain I was just "done", and double now that my DS2 is here, but as soon as I signed I felt nauseous. Something about the finality of it... the "OK yes I would like this decision/ability to be removed from me" was too much.

I had Mirena for 3 years before we decided to have #2. I have decided to get it again as it's light years less invasive than surgery, it's very low risk of pregnancy, and I can change my mind at any time.

I'm 100% supportive of women getting sterilized. I don't believe justifying taking that right away from a woman, on the chance she will 'regret' having it done. But if a woman is on the fence, I'm the first to recommend Mirena or other forgettable BC (the implant for example) because it's a trial run! "Give yourself 3, 5, 10 years. If you still don't want kids, well, now you know!"

I went with the iud too. My family is definitely complete. I didn’t want to tie my tubes and my Ob/gyn didn’t want me to either. I went with the iud. Even though I know we’re complete it’s comforting in some ways to know that I can just have it removed, it’s not so definitive. Also it’s not 100% so just make sure you follow directions of your ob/gyn and check your strings regularly. I hope it goes well for you!

Thank you both for your insight.
I think just going on any form of birth control for me is so new. We just kinda went with the flow before, so this is so different for me.
It's more of a mental adjustment for me I think. Even though it"s not a permanent form of prevention, it's just the thought that now we are actually trying to prevent a pregnancy is what gets to me.

I'm hoping all goes well and it"s not too uncomfortable of a procedure.

I got the copper iud and love it. It's good for 10 years.

I got the copper iud and love it. It's good for 10 years.

How are you finding it? Was it painful at all to get it inserted? I've actually changed my mind and will be going with the copper IUD as well (which means I have to wait another 2 weeks as my prescription wasn't ready on time). Didnt want an IUD with any hormones at all in the end.
I'm nervous to get it just in terms of the pain factor.

Just wanted to update...
Got the copper IUD inserted 2 days ago and I have to admit I was quite scared it would be really painful, but I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at how painless it has been.
There was some pinching/discomfort during insertion as well as some very slight cramping/lower backache the next day (nothing that an advil couldn't help) and a touch of bleeding (only needed to wear a liner). Other than that no pain or problems since! I definitely would recommend it. Glad I went with the copper one too rather than the hormonal alternative.

I'm about to have my IUD placed. I've started spotting so hopefully my first PP period is here and I get into obgyn quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->