Getting organised - sterilising

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by evasmum, Nov 18, 2011.

1. evasmum

evasmum Precious Eva & due 05 Nov

I express and top up by bottle (still persevering with bf and hoping to move to exclusive once she is back to her birth weight).

I have been using milton cold water system to sterilise my pump and bottles but I find it is making my hands so dry and sore and I am not 100% happy about the chemicals for my little one.

I have an avent electric steamer and would like to get into using it.

Problem is I can't understand how you get into a system of using it! It says once the lid is off the items are not sterile anymore so does that mean I need to sterilise every time I need a bottle or the pump (which is about 10 times a day!!!)

All I can find on the net is instructions for FF and as I see it they can make bottles ready once sterile and store in fridge but I don't have enough breast milk read to make all my bottles in advance cause I pump after each feed for the next one.

Can anyone tell me what you do? Thanks :flower:

2. cat lover

cat lover Mummy to 2 girls

I use TT but imagine the principle is the same - once sterilised if you take all the bottles out and immediately put the sterile teats and caps on tight they stay sterile - with TT for 24 hours, not sure about Avent. HTH xx

3. evasmum

evasmum Precious Eva & due 05 Nov

Ah ok, so do you then just store them on the work surface or a cupboard etc or do you need to keep them in the fridge? (sorry I really am clueless!)

4. cat lover

cat lover Mummy to 2 girls

Work surface is fine hon. Someone in the FF forum might know more bout the Avent steriliser too xx