Getting Ready for TTC

ser523

Reaction score
Okalies, so our original plan was to start TTC this summer. BUT, I've recently had some health concerns that I found very scary (even though I've been told that it will likely turn out to be fine) and makes me eager to start trying sooner (in case things don't turn out "fine"). We will have missed the window for this month, which would make next month (right around Christmas) the first month TTC if DH agrees (he said he's thinking about it).

My question for you ladies is what would you suggest as things to do to get ready for TTC? Now I know what I had planned to do over the next 6 months for TTC in the summer, but obviously a month is much less time than 6. (For example, I can't lose the 20-30 lbs I would have liked in this new time span.) I'll start taking prenatal vitamins but what else should I do to get ready?

My suggestion is to start eating and living like you already are pregnant. So start eating really well, no alcohol, have vitamins etc.

In addition to taking prenatals, I would eat well, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, not too much processed food. If you normally drink a lot of caffeine (like 3+ cups of coffee a day), I'd also start to cut it down, not because it matters all that much for TTC, but because if you did get pregnant next month, it's a lot better to do gradually than all at once (caffeine in moderation is still fine in pregnancy, I drank about a cup of coffee a day all through my first pregnancy, but you don't want to be drinking like 4 cups a day). Make sure you're getting regular moderate exercise, you don't have to do anything crazy or stress about losing weight, but just get moving somehow a few times a week. It will help tremendously with your joints when you are pregnant and the sooner you start, the better, but it doesn't have to be anything intensive. That and relax and enjoy the process. Eliminating stress is really important, so whatever helps you relax is a good thing to do regularly, spend time with friends, have a few glasses of wine, read a book, talk a walk, do yoga, whatever it is that usually does it for you.

Thank you for the suggestions! :)

I would get tested--very simple blood test, to make sure you are someone who can absorb synthetic folic acid. It is the single most important supplement and they have recently discovered that many gals who think they are taking plenty, actually aren't absorbing hardly any. It's a genetic marker they test for. Cheap and easy. My OBGYN tested me as soon as I told her I was trying. I would also get your blood type tested if you don't already know to make sure you aren't RH negative. I am O negative and had an ectopic and a MC so it's very important to know in case there are any complications during the process.

I also take a pregnancy preparation supplement called Vitanica Pregnancy Prep. It's all natural and great for preparing your system to get pregnant. Good luck on your TTC journey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->