getting seriously concerned over rhys' lack of speech

Tezzy

Mum of 2 TTCAL
Reaction score
rhys hardly says any words and sometimes he will say a word and then will never say it again. he can say about 7 words properly and can sign about 25.

just getting really bloody frustrated because hes so behind, and its all my fault.

how old is he? why do you think it's your fault?

he will be 2 in december.

and because im obviously not teaching him enough.

Not your fault at all!! I bet he's ahead of other kids in other ways, and if he can sign more he obviously understands things. Some kids just don't want to talk/eat/walk etc at the 'expected' ages, but you'll probably find he'll suddenly surprise you. Does he understand a lot when you ask him to do things? x

he understands everything i tell him and responds with the actions but he just wont speak

My sisters little one has just started to talk and he is 2 1/2 I think you only need to be concerned when they get to 3 and are still not talking. It is not your fault at all I should know my first son had speech problems, he had to have therapy but they didnt even consider a problem until he was 3 1/2, they knew he was slow in talking but a lot of kids just pick up between 2-3 years old. And a little fact for you 1 in every 5 kids will need some sort of speech therapy and the majority are boys. Dont worry hun he will get there he is still little xx

i have a friend whos 1st little girl didnt speak till she was 3 she's now 6 and never shuts up lol.She's also one of the cleverest kids in her year at school.Your son is not yet two so don't worry he'll talk when he's ready to.

i have a friend whos 1st little girl didnt speak till she was 3 she's now 6 and never shuts up lol.She's also one of the cleverest kids in her year at school.Your son is not yet two so don't worry he'll talk when he's ready to.

Thats the same as my first son like I said he had to have therapy and now he never gives his tongue a rest !!!! Lol and he is in the top 5 in his school so not bad for a child that didnt speak properly until nearly 5 years old.

tezzy its not your fault, some kids just dont like to talk until they feel comfortable.
my friends brother didnt say many words and his mom told me the other day one day he just started speaking in full sentences, she was like what??
just to make sure tho i would have his hearing tested. hes probably just taking his time esp if he understand everything well.

:hugs: my mum said i didnt start talking for ages and i just one day decided to talk and just talked in sentances.. i think people rely too much on when they think things should happen (cos we're told thats the 'norm') I'm sure he will be fine its totally not your fault.

Hun my nephew when he was two spoke jibbersh Lol
my sister has a daughter and another son and he was the youngest
when he spoke you could not understand a word he said we use to laugh and say he was from a different country speaking a different language

My sister put him into a private nursery so he could mix with children his age
he is now 5 and can talk the ear of you he has proper full conversations and looking back there was a time we thought he never would or that somthing was wrong ,

Thesa private nurserys bring them on so well they even learn them computors now its amazing ,

:hug:

Don't worry at all - but I know how easy it is to do just that.

I was so worried when I had certain people telling me their child crawled at 6 months for example and Bethanie didn't crawl until 11 months! and didn't walk until later. They all develop at different rates. Bethanie is great with speaking, but not so much physically.

I still get it now, Bethanie should be potty trained apparently (just 1 persons opinion, won't name them) but she isn't ready in my opinion.. yet because they've "been there, done that" it makes me feel as if im doing something wrong with her. I never feel good enough - so you're not alone.

He will speak eventually, it is not your fault.. don't blame yourself or let others make you think it is your fault!! Im sure you are doing a great job with him.:hugs:

I agree with Tilly.. all children will do things at different ages.
Like her example wtih Crawling... Colton is almost 7 months and isn't even holding himself up, I dont think he will even crawl for another month or two at least. And I've seen some kids on here pulling themselves to standing and they aren't even Colton's age yet!!
My (future) sister in law has a little boy who is just over two and he is still talking jibberish.. I cannot understand hardly anything he says.

its not your fault! there is a lad at playgroup with Ewan and he has just turned three and he hardly says a word, he understands everything but would rather point or sing(hum) what sounds like words. He has had his hearing tested and is fine.
They can find no reason why he wont talk, he was seeing a speach therapist but not sure if he is anymore.

I think it's natural to worry...but I really think it's normal. My OH's nephew is also 2 in December and he says 'duhhhhh' for most things...and 'gggg' for granny and grandad and the only word he has actually mastered is 'dirty' (!!) He goes to a surestart/children's centre nursery and they are totally not worried about him and think he is progressing well. I think sometimes they just develop differently in different areas. There is probably something Rhys is amazing at but because speech is such a mega thing it is more noticable to you that he isn't developing as you would expecting him to.

Try not to worry :hug:

Apparently I was the same as Blob. I didn't speak until I was two. I then started speaking in full sentences. I don't see how you can influence this too much unless you never spoke around him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->