Getting to wits end.. :(

KatBar

~Lucky mumma of 2 boys + girl on the way~
Reaction score
I posted a week or so ago about potential silent reflux symptoms and what other mums have experience, and it didn’t appear like my son really matched up. However, just as his reached 5 weeks, things have hit the fan and I just don’t know what to do or think..

The most major thing that my son does that is a typical reflux symptom, is a cough. His been checked out for being sick, and no sign of illness (lungs are fine, temperature is fine, ears are clear etc). The cough only happens when he is crying, being burped (not every single time), and he kind of does it when he sneezes as well. Everyone that has heard it has thought it was very unusual- and my maternal health nurse thought it sounded like he had a sore throat (but when I have had this checked, his throat appeared fine - the top half that they could see anyway).

Otherwise, he had actually been feeding ok and gaining weight well. Sleeping was hit and miss, but not completely terrible.

Well then que to this week, and for example, yesterday he did not sleep for 7 hours straight... He would feed, but only take 40-60ml, then not be interested in anymore (he wouldn’t scream and pull away though, he’d just lose interest). This seem to somewhat settle him, but then as soon as I’d try to get him back down to sleep, he maybe nap 20 minutes before inconsolable crying would start up again (we have raised his cot mattress by this point). Overnight he wasn’t a lot better.

This morning he fed okay - had his usual 110ml, got drowsy, so I put him down to sleep. He slept maybe 30 minutes max, before the uncontrollable crying starts up again. I know there is no way he is hungry, as he had 110ml only an hour and half a go.

I just don’t know what to do. It’s affecting my older son, as I am constantly preoccupied with my younger son :(. I am also getting to the point, I just have to let my younger son cry, because there is literally nothing I can do.

I went to the doctor yesterday and she wastypically like “just see how you go” kind of thing, although she did give me a script for Losec if we ‘wanted to try it out’ (but it wasn’t really her advice/recommendation).
I don’t know whether to try it, in case it’s not reflux.. and I’ve also heard they can get windy on losec, so it’s a catch 22.

Ugh, currently as I type this my son is crying his lungs out and I just can’t do anything to settle him :cry:

Have you tried gripe water or any of the OTC remedies for colic? My son had mild silent reflux after we got home from the NICU and I suspect it was because his stomach was slightly irritated from the feeding tube he'd had for a week. He was really colicky and had a bit of a cough like you describe so I got some gripe water and it worked miracles. We still go back and forth with the trapped wind/colic stuff but the gripe water really helps.

Also, it might help to bring your baby to a chiropractor who specializes in pediatric adjustments. Sometimes, a bone in their spine might be out of place just a little bit and it puts pressure on the nerves going to the stomach which can lead to reflux. It's worth a try at the very least and if it works, then all the better, right?

Have you tried gripe water or any of the OTC remedies for colic? My son had mild silent reflux after we got home from the NICU and I suspect it was because his stomach was slightly irritated from the feeding tube he'd had for a week. He was really colicky and had a bit of a cough like you describe so I got some gripe water and it worked miracles. We still go back and forth with the trapped wind/colic stuff but the gripe water really helps.

Also, it might help to bring your baby to a chiropractor who specializes in pediatric adjustments. Sometimes, a bone in their spine might be out of place just a little bit and it puts pressure on the nerves going to the stomach which can lead to reflux. It's worth a try at the very least and if it works, then all the better, right?

I haven’t tried gripe water, but we did try Infants Friend (this seem to really irritate him as he was extra fussy the moment we started using it, and seemed to settle a bit more after stopping), and we also tried Infacol wind drops - which I have to say, they didn’t appear to bother him and although it could be coincidence (as we only ended up using it 3.5 days) he didn’t seem to cough as much during those days. However, it was making his poo a little bit sloppy, close to diarrhoea looking, which is why I decided to stop giving it to him. Well, that, and he appeared to be able to burp less easily on them - which is ironic since that’s what they’re supposed to help with.

I actually just went and got the Losec, and gave him some before he last bottle. I am really hoping it’s not coincidence (he could be exhausted by this point, since he has been awake for hours and hours), but it’s the first time for quite while that I have been able to put him down semi-awake and he went to sleep within 2-3 minutes. Mind you, I have gotten him to go to sleep before, but he wakes up crying by max 30 minutes - and funnily enough, we are on the 30 minute mark now and I can hear him starting to stir!

I will def be trying gripe water, or another few things if he doesn’t appear to have any improvement.

Update: Yep, at 30 minutes into nap, he is awake and crying :cry:.

Just realised I didn’t respond to your part about the chiro. I have heard of them being affective before, and we do have one that looks after infants close by. However, it’s not cheap and we really can’t afford it right now.. we’d have to basically put it on our credit card, which I don’t like doing - especially if it doesn’t actually have any massive affect afterwards too.
If nothing else works, I might use it as a last ditch attempt, but given the cost, I think we’ll try the more affordable options before heading there.

We were on Losec Mups from 3 months - 7 months. It doesn’t work immediately, it can take up to two weeks. It works by stopping the acid production in the stomach which in turn allows the esophogus to heal (previously irritated by the acid). We never noticed any additional wind nor any wind problems in it whatsoever. It can be really hard to get your doc to prescribe it so it can’t harm to give it a go! Allows a couple weeks & see if you notice any difference! After 8 day’s, our daughter was a different baby! She went from refusing her bottle, never sleeping & being agitated all the time to a happy, content little baby!

We weaned her at 4 months & her reflux gradually improved. By 7 months we weaned her off the Losec. She still has Gaviscon on her bedtime feed but we are almost off that too!

I’d say give the meds a try & keep your fingers crossed! At least you should then be able to rule reflux in or out!

We were on Losec Mups from 3 months - 7 months. It doesn’t work immediately, it can take up to two weeks. It works by stopping the acid production in the stomach which in turn allows the esophogus to heal (previously irritated by the acid). We never noticed any additional wind nor any wind problems in it whatsoever. It can be really hard to get your doc to prescribe it so it can’t harm to give it a go! Allows a couple weeks & see if you notice any difference! After 8 day’s, our daughter was a different baby! She went from refusing her bottle, never sleeping & being agitated all the time to a happy, content little baby!

We weaned her at 4 months & her reflux gradually improved. By 7 months we weaned her off the Losec. She still has Gaviscon on her bedtime feed but we are almost off that too!

I’d say give the meds a try & keep your fingers crossed! At least you should then be able to rule reflux in or out!

Thanks for the response Sonnyh! It is comforting to hear that you didn’t have any issues with Losec, and that you have been able to wean off it before the 12 month mark.

Well after my post yesterday, and having a screaming poor little baby, I did go straight out and get the Losec from the chemist. I would honestly actually say it almost took affect within hours - we did still have a fussy baby, but the intensity died down a little, and he was able to sleep a little longer than he had been.
We also had my in-laws look after him overnight so my hubby and I could catch up on some sleep - my in laws live next door to us, so it’s only walking distance away. After having him for the night, they completely agreed that he has a reflux issue - they saw him cough, swallow and cry several times. My MIL is also a nurse that has had 3 kids of her own, plus now 7 grandchildren that she has looked after at various times, and she can def see the difference (her babies were colicky and she said this is definitely not colic symptoms).

Anyway, today has been such an improvement I can’t believe it. He has actually been settled most the day, EVEN during awake periods :D!! He has gone back to his usual feeds (100+mls), and I swear he has even started to almost coo a little bit now. I know he is still not quite 100% yet, as like you say Sonny, it will take a few days to really kick in and settle, but the improvement is definitely there already!

It’s crazy to think that the doctor wasn’t even going to give me the script and only really did it as a ‘if you want it’ type thing. I realise it’s a medication and these things need to be taken seriously, but having a baby go from clearly being in pain, to happy and content is definitely worth it! I feel SO much happier seeing him look content and happy - has lifted a big weight off the heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->