Getting Waters Broken

tinkerbelle2

Mummy & a loss May2011
Reaction score
Its been mentioned I may need to be induced, they said they would be able to just break my waters as I am 2cm dilated.
but they haven't said what will happen next? ie will I need to be put on a drip or will they leave me to let things start naturally, do I have to stay in?
I don't understand? help?

From my understanding, when your waters break labor typically.tends to happen on its own, so.you shouldnt.need a drip/pitocin unless your contractions dont start naturally. Good luck!

When your water breaks since there's usually such a change it irritates everything so it starts contracting. I'm hopping that's how ill be induced

But when they burst your waters dont they only allow a certain amount of time before other actions have to be taken? I thought you cant just go days with your waters broke!?? Im so confused.

If I'm induced I won't be allowing them to break my waters. I'm hoping they can be born in their sacks if I am able to deliver vaginally.

I was started on Pitocin to activate labor and then they broke my waters a while after and things just took off from there. Less than an hour and half after they broke i was holding my DD.

But when they burst your waters dont they only allow a certain amount of time before other actions have to be taken? I thought you cant just go days with your waters broke!?? Im so confused.

With my first LO it was left 24 hours from my waters breaking to when I had to go into hospital for a drip to reduce infection as it had been a while without proper labour, as was only getting back labour (found out I was 7 or 8 cm dilated anyway when I got to hosp). Waters broke 1:30am on 23rd, went into hosp at 11am on 25th (a bit over 24 hours as they broke at night). I was also given a pictocin (sp) drip to speed up labour as it had been over the 24 hours.

So yeah, to reduce infection they speed things up here after 24 hours of little/no progress after waters breaking, and you are put on an antibiotics drip too.

If I'm induced I won't be allowing them to break my waters. I'm hoping they can be born in their sacks if I am able to deliver vaginally.

Thats extremly rare to happen, some cultures consider it a good fortune but its quite unlikely.

Thats extremly rare to happen, some cultures consider it a good fortune but its quite unlikely.

My first was coming out in her sack, so don't see any reason why it wouldn't happen again. There is no reason to purposely break it early. I'd say now it's "extremely rare" because doctors feel the need to break it.

i had pessary and i was 2cm dont let them break ur waters itll make it alot more painful

if they did break my waters, would I be allowed home as surely its no different to them breaking normally?

My first was coming out in her sack, so don't see any reason why it wouldn't happen again. There is no reason to purposely break it early. I'd say now it's "extremely rare" because doctors feel the need to break it.

That's exactly why it's so rare these days is that docs and MWs typically break your water through the labor process. Left to their own, they don't usually break until late in labor or at the pushing stage and significantly more babies are born in caul, especially if women bear the baby down rather than push when they are told they're 'complete'.:happydance:

With dd1 they broke water when I was a 4 hoping it would progress labor. It had absolutely no effect. I personally wouldn't let them break my water, but everyone is different and reacts different. So it's completely up to you. I doubt if they would let you leave once water has broken as increase risk of infection.

if they did break my waters, would I be allowed home as surely its no different to them breaking normally?

They probably wont because breaking them is normaly a shock to the body unlike them going naturaly.
Plus if you have them broken you may not really want to go home, I had my baby in my arm 1 hour 57 min after having mine broken at contraction hit like a bomb 3 mins apart within minutes of having it broke.
For me it really was like ripping a bandaid off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"