Gift ideas for 90 yrold man

Discussion in 'Santa's Grotto' started by Baby Bell, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Baby Bell

Baby Bell Well-Known Member

Hi my grandad is almost 90, has dementia, and I'm stumped..he used to love crime novels but is no longer able to read them. He loves all animals, and used to be a ships engineer. He really doesn't enjoy much anymore. But I'd like to get him something that will put a wee smile on his face. Only thing I'm definatly getting him is a box of Thortons special offers cause he loves them. Iv only got about £20 to spend. Ideas please!

Thank you in advance xxx

2. Jaysmummy

Jaysmummy Mum of 3 and WTT

Is there anything he likes that you could make him up a hamper for?

Tea or coffee perhaps?

3. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

Our patients like old films and musicals. Maybe a box set? Or music?

4. kassiaethne

kassiaethne Mom of a beautiful boy

I agree, a basket of some eatables that he would enjoy. Especially with dementia, he will never "remember" a thing that lasts so i'd get things he could enjoy in the moment.

5. Redfraggle

Redfraggle TTC since Oct 2005

How about an audio book that he can listen to instead of read?

6. kmumtobe

kmumtobe Mummy to 2

Agree with all the food ideas, my mum has Alzheimer's and most things there just no point buying sadly as they wouldn't be used or understood but she still seems to enjoy her old favourite treats so I put them in a basket with a bow on top!

7. toptrump

toptrump Well-Known Member

Is there any lovely photos of him or his family from when they were younger, you could have it put on a canvas so he can reminisce.

8. Baby Bell

Baby Bell Well-Known Member

Thanks I think il do a yummy food hamper for him. Maybe a framed photo of him with his sons. Films and audio books he doesn't really have the concentration to follow any more but thanks for the ideas:thumbup:

9. Mummy2B21

Mummy2B21 Mum of Two

Last year we gave my 87yo grandad a photo of our son in a nice frame it was one of his professional photos, this year were going to do the same again but they won't be professional photos, baby #2 is due in December so I'm hoping to get a photo of our son holding new baby and frame it for him. Maybe you could do something similar with your children or all of you.