Ginger baby???

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by hopefully85, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopefully85

hopefully85 Well-Known Member

Ok I know it's terrible but I really hope my baby isn't bright Ginger :-S I have dark brown hair, black eyelashes & brows etc. FOB is Ginger, eeek. I know ur gonna say- well u went to bed with one so they can't be that bad but it wasn't a romantic thing at all!! He was a really good friend & we kinda overstepped the mark. Anywho, anyone have a Ginger man & not a Ginger baby?? Lol :p

2. aley28

aley28 2 boys & a girl <3

I have a non-ginger man (dark brown hair) and I am definitely a blond/almost brunette. Our son has red hair and pretty pale skin, but not the typical bright red hair and almost albino-white skin.

That said... the red hair/pale skin is a dominate gene. You'll love your baby, even if it has bright red hair and freckles! :)

3. emma2107

emma2107 Member

lol this made me chuckle we are both dark brown so fingers crossed we don't have a ginger baby I just don't like ginger hair sorry :))

4. Lisa1981

Lisa1981 Well-Known Member

I've got two ginger haired nephews and they are adorable!! Although in saying that the aren't bright Ginger, more strawberry blonde. They are my sisters kids.

My brother is Ginger and his wife is brunette and their son is blonde.

5. shellb

shellb Well-Known Member

Lol. My hubby is ginger and was that bright red when a kid. Although darker now. I was worried about having a ginger too at first but now I'm sort of hoping for it. Its so unique and different. You'll always be able to spot your kid on the playground! Lol. I've read really mixed things on whether the red is dominant or recessive. You'll love your babushka hair even if its bright red :) its cute.

6. ashley2pink

ashley2pink Mom to 4 girls

Actually red hair isn't dominant. Thats why you dont see too many red heads. Dark hair like black or brown is dominant though

7. hopefully85

I will think he/she is beautiful regardless obv I just really hope bub takes after me :haha: :) xx

8. t33cup

t33cup mum of one and expecting

I love bright ginger hair! :shrug:
    Im blonde btw so is my ds, i think this one will be blonde or very dark like oh

9. amerikiwi

amerikiwi Mum of 2

I'm the one with ginger hair, DH has dark brown and our daughter is blonde. In the right light you can see some hints of ginger, but without seeing me beside her, most people wouldn't even see the hint of ginger in her. Personally, I'd hoped she'd have more ginger as I love it!

As said before, it's a recessive gene, and you'd need a ginger gene to contribute as well in order to have a true ginger.

It's all a bit of lucky dip in the gene pool. Both of my parents have dark brown hair and I popped out bright red! Both DH and I have brown eyes, and our daughter has blue!

10. hopefully85

Thats good for u but I don't!! Lol maybe girls can pull it off a lil bit better but Ginger boys..... No. I'm team yellow & I'll be asking at the birth if it's a Ginger not girl/boy lol :p Kidding x

11. cooper2010

cooper2010 Well-Known Member

I like ginger!

12. Makena29

Makena29 Well-Known Member

Actually red hair is a recessive gene, meaning that you must be a carrier of the gene in order for the baby to come out ginger. Do you have any family members with red hair? If not, your child is unlikely to be born with red hair. I have a friend (she's brunette) who is married to a redhead, and their first child was also a redhead and the second was not. She has redheads in her family, so with each pregnancy they had a 1 in 4 chance of the child being born with red hair.

Why don't you like ginger hair? I think it's gorgeous and I've always been jealous of women with beautiful red hair!

13. Shmead

Shmead Well-Known Member

This is apparently a pretty big US/UK divide. Red hair is considered highly desirable here in the US, but not so in the UK.

14. Makena29

I used to live in the UK, but I totally forgot about that until you posted this. What an odd cultural difference between the two countries.

15. MonstHer

MonstHer Well-Known Member

Why though? Is it not considered attractive?

16. knitbit

knitbit Well-Known Member

Red hair is considered pretty here, especially on a girl if it is strawberry or dark auburn.

And I agree, red hair is recessive, so unless you carry the gene, your dark hair will win out. Here, a lot of blondes carry the red gene. (Think Diana and Harry.)

17. Makena29

We probably need a Brit to chip in here, but as I recall it's considered somewhat dorky or wimpy. I think we still have a little bit of that perception about redheaded boys in the US, but not so much with girls. I have to tell you, though, I know some seriously HOT ginger guys!

18. amerikiwi

amerikiwi Mum of 2

Def. a cultural difference. I was always praised at how beautiful my red hair is, as I grew up in USA. Some friends I have from UK are astounded that I was never teased or bullied about it growing up.

The red gene can stay hidden for a long time. I had one great-great grandfather on each side that had red hair. No red heads in family (just a bunch of dark brown/black) since them until me and none since. My blonde daughter carries the gene (as I can only contribute red) so maybe ginger grandkids. Be interested to see what colour bubz #2 gets.

19. honey08

honey08 mum2two boys/2mc

well ive red hair/oh brown and my son very blonde , but my bro whos brown/his wifes brown had a ginger little girl ! it can skip generations , but if all uv got to worry bout is wether ur baby will be ginger :shrug:

20. katrina1987

katrina1987 2 boys and Twin girls

Im naturally ginger and my OH has dark brown hair, we both have dark brown eyes but then our son is blonde hair and bright blue eyes. So it doesnt always happen that way, he quite ginger hair between 1-3months and that was it really. BUt I wouldn't have minded if he had of been ginger its such a beautiful colour, but I did get so much stick and so bullied at school for it, trust me when baby gets hear u'll have more to worry about then hair colour lol (lack of sleep and much much more)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.