Ginger bread house

Status
Not open for further replies.
They look stunning :( How long do they last though, I wouldnt want to eat it lol.

I would love to make one they look fab but I am rubbish. Lidl or Aldi had some in last year that looked good and reasonable might buy one this year cos if I make one it will be horrendous!!!

They look stunning :( How long do they last though, I wouldnt want to eat it lol.

it depends on if you want to eat it or not:blush:.

I'll post the recipe for the ginger bread and icing tomorrow after work. I have to dig them out

All of these are stunning!

I'll give the gingerbread a shot but I'll probably end up buying it.

I love how ikea are selling them, flat packed I presume like their Furnature :rofl:

Oooh I want to have a go- the houses look amazing!!!!
Could I have the recipe pretty please?
:)
x

I went to asda today and they had none :cry:

I even asked and I might have well have asked if they sell grenades as she looked at me with a weird face!

Gingerbread (make 1 house plus a few cookies)

6 cups (1.5L) Flour (white/bleached)
1 tsp (5 ml) Baking Powder
1 tsp (5 ml) Salt
1 tsp (5 ml) nut meg
2 1/2 tsp (12 ml) ginger
1 tsp (5 ml) cloves
1/2 tsp (2 ml) allspice
2 tsp (250 ml) shortening
1 cup (250 ml) sugar (fine white)
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) Molasses (light or fancy)
2 eggs(at room temperature)

sift together all dry ingredients. Melt shortening in a large saucepan or in microwave. cool slightly and add sugar, molasses(works best it is slightly warm), and eggs and mix well. Gradually stir in half the flour mixture. Add remaining flour mixture and knead with hands (or mix in stand mixer). Divide dough into thirds, place each in plastic bag(fresh/clean) or large containers with lids. Refrigerate for 1 hour (at least, best if over night) for easier handling.Remove dough and roll out on wax or parchment. Cut
Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 8 to 10 mins for cookies or 15 to 20 minutes for larger pieces

HINT place a tray of cut-out gingerbread in fridge or freezer for 15 minutes before baking and it will not loose shape while baking.

Icing yields 3 cups
3 1/2 cups Icing sugar
1/3 cup Water
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 Tbsp 1 1/2 tsp Meririgue powder (dried egg whites)

Combine water, meririgue powder, and cream of tartar and beat until foamy. Add icing sugar a little at a time. Beat at low to medium speed so you won't whip too much air into the icing. Beat unitil icing stands in peaks, is dull in color and is stiff and thick. Time will vary according to type of mixer but should take 5 to 8 minutes.

I ordered one from Sainsburys in the end!

I'll put it together and decorate it and show you guys and then I'll eat it!

I will erect (ooo err) another on closer to Christmas ifs any good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"