Girlies i have a dilemma...induced or not

skellysgirl

Reaction score
I need your help.

Throughout this and my first two pregnancies i have suffered with bad pre natal depression, i get quite withdrawn and at points agressive and upset. had a bad day last sun and spent quite a lot of time crying. I have had a few sessions with the counciller at the maternity unit, so i spoke to her on the mon morn she suggested a meeting with my consultant, which i had last Wed
and between us we explain the situation as we have been working through this pregnancy together.

I met him well his intern and told her that i felt like this and that in my mind i only saw one solution which was to get this baby out and that i had been trying already. her response has been to offer me an induction originally for sun then rebooked for tommorrow (tues)
I am now in 2 minds, they told me that they would prefer me to deliver in hosp safely as its better than me trying myself.
But i feel wrong going for induction as its medical intervention and i think my reasons are maybe selfish. But at the same point this is what i have been waiting for for so long, and sometimes i just get sick or trying to cope and locking how i feel away.

A week ago and before, i would have jumped at this chance, now its getting closer im not sure if its just nerves.

The main dilemma is the fact i have had 2 very easy labours with no contractions.
If i go in tommorrow, i have to go in high dependancy rather than low, which means sacrificing the nice suite possible water birth etc.

If i dont i dont know how long it could take before this baby is born and just how my moods will react.

I have been pretty good since last week , as soon as i knew i had a date my moods seemed much better and i made myself a little plan to keep myself occupied. But all that could change..i know im not myself at times and its not fair on others around me.

What do i do Girlies?

Sounds like you really need to let go and give in to this experience. As hard as it is--I've been moaning ALOT! I'm not implying it's easy to let go.

I'm not a fan of induction--unless there's an emergency and no way to avoid it. I am very sensitive to pitocin and found those labors to be much more painful and unmanageable than natural labor. I'll avoid it again if I can. I'm not unreasonable though--if that's the only way I'll take it--but if I have a choice I'd rather let my body do its thing.

How's your support system? Are you on meds for the depression?

It sure is miserable--the symptoms--at the end. I can understand you just being at the end of your rope. Can you get some therapy sessions in? Spa treatment? Massage? Anything to pamper yourself, get the feelings out and distract from the endless waiting? It doesn't feel like it--BUT you are soooo close!

It is very hard..hugs to you Hon but I hope you keep letting your LO bake and come out on its own. Sounds like when LO's ready it will be quick and easy. You said you don't feel your contractions???? Wow!

How's your support system? It sure is miserable--the symptoms--at the end. I can understand you just being at the end of your rope. Can you get some therapy sessions in? Spa treatment? Massage? Anything to pamper yourself, get the feelings out and distract from the endless waiting?

It is very hard..hugs to you Hon but I hope you keep letting your LO bake and come out on its own. Sounds like when LO's ready it will be quick and easy. You said you don't feel your contractions???? Wow!

My support system is ok, my hubby is sensitive to my feelings and has said he will support my decision either way. He tries to help when it gets bad, but to be truthfull i just sitch off, and hide, kids are noticing it though and thats my main issue.

My labours were both early, and really easy, my waters broke with my first, there were no contractions, a few pushes and he was out, 2 hours total from breaking to birth. No pain at all.
The second i went in as i was bleeding, they said i was dilated broke my waters and again no contractions and 45 min later my DD was born, again no pain.

So im like argh do i wait and hope i get another easy birth and struggle with my emotions or go for the induction which very likely will be painfull longer and not natural.

aw hun I'm sorry you're having such a hard time but I think as you are so near the end and you said your other 2 were early and as you tend to have easy labours maybe you should wait and let nature take it's course as the pain and the trauma for an induction may leave you feeling worse and affect your bonding with this baby, I don't know maybe I'm wrong but I guess only you know how bad you feel and how much more you can take so it's a tough decision and I hope you make the right choice for you :hugs:

why not speak to other people on this site who have experienced inductions then weigh up the pros and the cons that might help you come to a decision easier

Those labors you described are the stuff of dreams!!! I know there's no guarantee this labor will be the same as your others but with your track record I'd take my chances with your body before induction. I would definitely wait. It can't be that much longer as Craftymum said. Stay active.

Keep telling your family how you're feeling and the old you will be back soon.

I've been induced twice by the way. Hell both times. Could not cope without epidural. Ended up with wicked episiotomy for one and forcepts delivery for the other. My last birth was natural start and I didn't even need meds. Delivered within 1 hour of getting to the hospital dilated at 5 cm. No tears...nothing.

i cant speak for your mental state but i was induced and the experience was not amazing. firstly you are not actually ready to give birth and they are making your body ready so it can take time even days. secondly the contractions on petocin are hell, but you may not experience this as you have had dream births so far. thirdly a significant number of inductions end in c sections if you dont progress well or the baby is distressed. if you can handle another 4 weeks because that is really the most it can be then i would say try and get through it, even take it a couple of days at a time, and they can always book an induction later if you cant cope.

Right now im thinking these answers are common sense, im thinking set yourself a plan for the next week reward yourself at the end of the week etc.

But then the other half of me is thinking just go get it over and done with. Effectivley there could be another month of this to go.

Hiya hun, I can relate to how you are feeling, i know that I've been experiencing a lot of feelings of depressions on and off and it is horrendously difficult. I used to spend all weekend crying because of how miserable I was. I'm lucky that the hormones have given me a break on that score so I'm not feeling like that so much these days.

I can understand how having a finish date to your ordeal is attractive, certainly it is something which you can work towards as an achievable target. As you are past 38 weeks your baby will be fine. The hospital wouldn't offer you this if they didn't think that there was a good reason to do it.

It is a difficult decision and I think that either choice is a good one, it is just finding the choice which is best for you.

I will be thinking about you and hope you keep us posted on what you choose to do.

:hugs:

I can relate to wanting things over with as I have hyperemesis (have done since week 6) and it's a very depressing debilitating illness too. I have suffered from depression in the past and I had awful PND after I had my first and I know the only cure for the hyperemesis is giving birth, keep us posted on whatever decision you make and good luck x

i am swaying towards the side of waiting, i also feel a bit of a pest for cancelling, im gonna give my couciller a ring in the morn and i think im gonna rally my girlies together to keep me occupied over the next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->