Give birth natural without taking classes?

kcw81

Reaction score
Hi, do you have to take classes in order to give birth naturally without an epidural?

:shrug:

No, I gave birth with just gas and air. I know you can do classes in hypnobirthing, etc, which would help - probably recommended but not essential at all. It's completely your choice whether you want an epidural (or any other pain relief).

not at all. Even with my last birth when I didn't even go in with the mindset that birth is normal, natural and I can do it without pain relief, I didn't get an epidural.
I think if you go into it with a determination that you can do it, you can definately get through with minimal pain relief.

No!! There were no classes hundreds of thousands of years ago! There are no classes for women in developing countries! Women have given birth without classes, books, drugs and even doctors for millennia. They had other women to support them and no preconceived notions about birth. We just did it. Classes are just trying to undo all the damage 'man' doctors, medicine etc have done to womens trust in birth and self belief. The sooner we start to trust nature and the perfect design of a woman's body again, the better!!

Never ever been to classes lol and I don't remember ever having an epidural ;). If you're decently read up (and even baby magazines give a lot of good info); then many classes will just seem patronising and a waste of your time.

No, not at all.
I pushed out our amazing miracle in Sunday at home with just my m/w and DH. I gave never taken a class, never listened to a cd and my only pain releif was 2 panadol taken about 4h before I hit transition!

I truely believe that so much is mental attitude, and while I'm no advocate if being a mayrtar I do think if you go in being positive you can do it!

I believed from the start in mind over matter. I listened to the physios advice about relaxing during labour and threw in alot of tricks too. think they all must have worked, as i didnt have drugs or epidural.
List of tricks::coffee:
  • Positive mental attitudel
  • go for very long walks
  • eat fresh pineapple every day from week 37
  • two strong cups of raspberry leaf tea from week 36
  • eat madras
  • dont panic
    do everything you can to go before due date
    do all you can to avoid being induced
  • relax
  • maintain a sense of humour at all times
  • take two paracetomol
  • stay on your feet during labour
  • use your gym ball even in labour suite
  • find out how to use the TENS machine properly
  • whatever you do, dont lie down in labour ward
  • dont make loud noises, conserve your energy
  • GAS and AIR - great stuff,
hope this helpz. its a long list, but theres nothing nasty in there
x

thank you all so much for the posts you guys! Bunny thank you for the list too! Do you think it is okay to not have a Tens machine?

I didn't have a home birth but am planning one this time. I did however get through a nearly 30 hour labour with just breathing techniques. I didnt learn them from a teacher or from a class, or from a book, it just happened to be the bodys natural way of dealing with it. I went with it and never once asked for pain relief even when she was stuck and forceps were involved. I think our bodies are amazing. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->