Giving baby fruit juice?

amygwen

Mom to Kenny & Gwendoline
Reaction score
I bought some 100% apple juice today at the store that is recommended by Gerber to 'sitters' and I figured I'd try it. I've been trying to get him to use a sippy cup with just water in it but he doesn't seem to take to it, so I figured I'd try juice. What age is appropriate to start giving juice? I don't plan to give it all the time, but I read somewhere it's recommended only to give one 4 oz cup of juice a day. When did you start your LOs, or when do you plan to start them on juice?

I still dont give Omar juice. You can try adding few drops to his water & see how it goes instead of offering him 100% juice. They dont need much water at this age & few sips are more than enough if your LO is taking enough milk feeds for his age. Omar started to drink water at 9-10 months when he started to move around & started to eat more protien. He was only taking few sips & I used to avoid giving him water at 7 months as he was suffering from reflux & water made it worse with solids. His reflux settled at around 8 months. You can try offering him water 1st thing in the morning, it worked for us. xxx

We are told to dilute 100% juice with 10 parts water to one part juice. hth. Oh and we were told to wait until 6 months before giving it. xx

I was told at the wic office that I could give Carter juice (that was at the beginning of this month).

just wanted to mention there is something in apple juice that can damage tooth enamel. My sister is a dental nurse and warned me off it for myself cos i drank loads of it. I started giving my LO water at 4mths in a sippee cup, TBH she didn't drink alot of it but shes really good at handling the cup now.

Its a matter of preference. Kindof like what age is it ok to give a child ice cream or cookies, or anything sweet.

Some drs say 6mo
USDA food program for daycare says 9mo

I didnt give Megan any juice til after her 12mo dr visit. She HAD been loving water though so there was no need for her to have any juice. WHen we switched from formula to cows milk she was a bit constipated. Her dr recommended me giving her a few oz of juice a day to help w/ it (other options were things like mineral oil - no thanks!). I give her 2oz juice diluted w/ at least 2oz water sometimes more water so more diluted.

HOWEVER - I wish I wouldnt have ever given her the juice - as now she wont drink just water for me! She wants juice - and drinks way less water for me than she did before we tried the juice. You are in different circumstances though - if your son wont drink water for you.

Added: You can also put formula in sippycups - he might be willing to take that more than water. We put formula & water in sippycups when starting the cups. Also - sometimes its the cup - and not whats in it.

We are told to dilute 100% juice with 10 parts water to one part juice. hth. Oh and we were told to wait until 6 months before giving it. xx

This is what is says it the NHS book they give us in the UK. It's called "Birth to 5" or something. yesterday I went to the dentist and was chatting to him about Arianna having no teeth yet (or signs of teeth) and he asked if I give her juice, to which I replied "no I don't, but I know that when I start giving it I have to dilute 1 in 10 with water" and he said "TBH I personally wouldn't give it all, just milk and water to one year and longer if you can manage". he said it's bad for their new teeth and they will get enough vitamins from food and milk at this age.

I've not really given cncentrated juice, but have diluted it with water so it's less sweet and sugary. Have you tied that?

have your tried any herbal teas? i have never given my LO juice but she has fennel tea every day. Its compltely natural and sugar free, but gives a taste rather than just water.
she loved fennel but has also had rooibos. i think there are a few other kinds suitable for babies too. Better than juice in my opinion.

I don't plan on ever serving juice because I just don't drink or buy it. But I'm just curious, why do people buy & serve it to their children. Is it just to be a drink because people remember drinking juice as a kid or should I be supplementing some fluids? Genuine curious question.

Daisy has fruit juice diluted with water to about 1:10 or less :dohh: I don't know why but she won't drink water. Even when she was tiny and it was really really hot in summer she wouldn't drink any at all. She wouldn't entertain a cup of water once we started with the sippy cup. But a tiny amount of apple or orange juice in a cup of water and she'll drink it fine. Awkward baby :lol:

I dont plan on ever introducing River to juice.

Of course if she were sick or dehydrated i would give her whatever i could to get liquids in her.

I think juice is ok (if thats what you want) from 4 months

I only offer water and am lucky that he likes it.
If you were to offer juice, I'd dilute it a lot as others have mentioned.

Thank you everybody! I never thought about diluting the juice but that's a great idea. I'm really iffy about it, because my mom constantly gave my sister juice as she was growing up and because of that her teeth are ruined and she's only 28 years old. I love the idea of diluting it though, I'm definitely going to try that! Thanksssss everybody!

This is what is says it the NHS book they give us in the UK. It's called "Birth to 5" or something. yesterday I went to the dentist and was chatting to him about Arianna having no teeth yet (or signs of teeth) and he asked if I give her juice, to which I replied "no I don't, but I know that when I start giving it I have to dilute 1 in 10 with water" and he said "TBH I personally wouldn't give it all, just milk and water to one year and longer if you can manage". he said it's bad for their new teeth and they will get enough vitamins from food and milk at this age.

I think i agree with your dentist! If poss, I will be avoiding it until LO is at least one.

Hey :) Im not going to be giving juice if I can help it for as long as possible. My lo loves to drink water and I think it helps keep her regular too. We introduced a sippy cup at around 6 months when we started weaning and now at nearly 9 months she drinks independently from it. I know for sure if I gave her juice she just wouldnt drink water anymore. Im going to keep it up as long as poss! (im sure I will have to give over at some point though!) My friend however started her daughter on diluted juice from 6 months which she still drinks from a bottle at 11 months each to their own! x

I plan on waiting until at least one before offering Clara juice, but probably longer. I bf on demand, including immediately after meals, so I don't even plan on offering her water anytime soon unless her pediatrician tells me I should. Right now bm gives her all the fluids she needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->