Giving up your cats... *NOW WITH PHOTOS!!!*

NuKe

mummy to 2 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
Hi, my partner and I are currently TTC, and we have a wee cat called Yoshi, who we love dearly. We know that we will have to give up our kitty when we get :bfp: but I was wondering if any of you lovely people has had to give up your kitties for your :bfp: ??? And did you get them back when your little bundle of joy finally arrived?

Lindsay

You dont need to give up you cat, most things said about cats and babies are hugely over exagerated.

No need to give up your kitty. Heck we have 3 of them. I'll even continue to change their litter box as OH never thinks to do it.

really? I had heard there was some germ you shouldn't have near a pregnant lady?

toxoplasmosis. You only need to take care when changing the litter box, wear gloves and wash hands after. Or get someone else to do it if you can.

As long as you are careful there's no reason why you should have to give up your cat.

I agree with AG. I have several friends that have cats, and while pregnant, they just got their OH to clean the litterbox, or they wore gloves and a mask.

I have 3 kitties and there is deffo no way I'm giving them up for my pregnancy when it happens. The cats themselves are harmless just be sensible and wash your hands after changing the litter or wear rubber gloves. IMO it's an excellent excuse to make the hubby look after that side of things for a while! :rofl:

oh my god that IS good news! about keeping my wee Yoshi and getting my OH to do the poopascoopin'!!! She's an indoor cat too, which I think may take away some of the risk?

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

sorry dont mean to just but it ...dump question alert :rofl: ..... i was just wondered is it the same with dogs poop?? sorry weve never had a cat but we have 2 dogs :blush:

thank you sorry again about the silly question ut if you dont ask you neer know

:hug:

i also have 3 cats ...my husband is taking care of the litter for me :)

ditto the above! We have 2 cats and would be heartbroken if we had to give them up.

The info I have read has said that basically you would ideally not change the litter tray yourself (hubby is not looking forward to the day he has to do it as he never ever does it at the mo!), but if you have no other choice than to deal with the litter then you should wear gloves and then thoroughly wash your hands afterwards. However, it does say that those of us that already have cats are probably immune now and so really it is a precaution.

Basically though if you can get your OH to do the litter and also if you're gardening, wear gloves in case a cat has gone to the loo in your garden. No need to get rid of Yoshi :D

sorry dont mean to just but it ...dump question alert :rofl: ..... i was just wondered is it the same with dogs poop?? sorry weve never had a cat but we have 2 dogs :blush:

thank you sorry again about the silly question ut if you dont ask you neer know

:hug:

I am not sure about the toxy side of things, but I would say to be on the safe side either get your OH to deal with the dog poop or make sure you're wearing gloves and wash hands thoroughly :D x

Oh I'm good on the Garden Frontier - We are living on the 4th Floor at the minute, soon to get a house but the hubby loves gettin his hands dirty so I think I'll let him work away!! hehe...

We adopted a 3year old cat 2 months ago. After a couple of weeks I said to OH (while i was washing up and him drying) "now we have a cat can we have a baby as well?" He didn't even hesitate with his answer "Yes - shall we go to bed now" :D

I then informed him that it was his job to do litter tray :D

So here we are TTC and would never consider getting rid of our gorgeous, scatter brained cat. Just need to be sensible - wash hands after hugging cat, OH to do litter tray, or do with gloves.

We adopted a 3year old cat 2 months ago. After a couple of weeks I said to OH (while i was washing up and him drying) "now we have a cat can we have a baby as well?" He didn't even hesitate with his answer "Yes - shall we go to bed now" :D

I then informed him that it was his job to do litter tray :D

lmao!!!!! tigger ur funny... :hugs:

oh my god that IS good news! about keeping my wee Yoshi and getting my OH to do the poopascoopin'!!! She's an indoor cat too, which I think may take away some of the risk?

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

You are in good shape hun, indoor cats don't get toxoplasmosis as they have no opportunity to eat infected birds or mice.

Even if your cat is an outdoor cat, as everyone has said, just wear gloves and wash your hands well afterward.

I researched toxoplasmosis after hearing about all this, and it's not even airborne.

You DO need to be careful when in the garden, dirt can be infected, but again, just clean your hands well following a gardening session.

You can get it just as easily from undercooked meat, or veggies that haven't been washed thoroughly.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

Your sweet kitty doesn't have to leave if you don't want her to! :hugs:

Dont give Yoshi up! :) We have our 'baby' Romi (indoor cat too) and love her too much to even contemplate giving up when our real baby is finally created. xxxx

Your cats will not have toxoplosmosis unless they get outside or catch mice inside (who's gonna admit to that, lol) I got mine as 3 month old kittens ( {-------is one of the 2) for instance and they've been inside since- and no, we dont have mice, lol!! ='x'=

A lot of people who have had cats over the years have totally dimissed the myths about cats and babies. In fact most cats become great proctectors and help parents to alert to things etc. ( mine do even if i overflow the kitchen sink..but i digress :))

Anywhoo, a lot of vets even think that if you've had cats for years and years you might even be immune to toxoplosmosis. In any case, as everyone has said, if you're worried get someone else to clean it or get you gloves on :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->