Giving up your cats... *NOW WITH PHOTOS!!!*

My kitty caught all our mice, so we don't have any for him to catch anymore. He's very sad about that and keeps checking for any possible new mice.

Toxo is actually rather difficult to catch, believe it or not. So, don't worry too much! However, like everyone has said, IF you clean the boxes, wear gloves. And wear gloves if you dig around in outdoor dirt.

I was a zookeeper for 6 years and worked with exotic cats (caracals, tigers, etc). I also worked with meerkats that were actively dying of toxo infections. :( Because of this, I had a toxo titer done when I got my bfp and found out I have never been infected (despite the handling of animals and their wastes that had toxo). You practically have to EAT infected poo or meat to get it.

SO! Don't eat Yoshi's poo!! And don't cut in him to slices and eat him (her?) raw!! ;) Seriously, the only danger is if you get infected feces on your hands, don't wash them, then handle food or put your dirty hands in your mouth.

I have 6 cats and wouldn't dream of giving them up!!

This post is so helpful! I know for sure my husband wont do the kitty litter thing so I'm glad to know I can just wear gloves and a mask and wash my hands. I've always kind of wondered about this. :thumbup:

Yeh I would never give up my two little bundles of fur, they are both indoor and one is FIV+. My mum however thinks that when little baby comes along they will both be on a mission to suffocate it due to jealousy! She ahs a screw loose though, so what she says is not taken to heart :)

i have a cat tennant hes 8months old and a nut case and i wont be giving him up when i get my :bfp: he was here 1st and hes part of the family now!

I agree with all the girls. No reason for giving up anybody. As long as you are careful with the poop. Actually get OH to do it, it;'s a great excuse :0)
Someone asked about doggy poop. It's not the same as cats when pregnant. Nevertheless I would still take care when handling it, just in case.
xxx

No way I'm getting rid of my Jynx she's part of the family can't wait to see what she makes of the bundle of joy if and when we get one. My sister-in-law insisted they got rid of there bird when she found out she was pregnant because she didn't want the little one eating the bird seed it dropped out of it's cage, I think bird seed is the least of her worries when it comes to babies putting things in there mouths any bit of crap they can find on the carpet, poop, mud in the garden the list goes on

i would be so gutted if i had to give up my kitten, shes just like one of the family now.
once i've had my BFP i'll be getting my partner to be cleaning her litter tray! ;)
the perks of being PG :p x

I look into this when I was got pregnant with my first because in France, women are automatically tested for toxoplasmosis. I found out that it was quite rare in GB (but much more common in mediterranean countries). Still I asked my midwife if I could be tested and she agreed without a fuss. It turned out I was immunised (probably did catch it at some point), so didn't need to worry about it.

My cats are now 10 yo, 1 year older than my eldest and I can't imagine our lives without them. They are so wonderful with the kids, an active part of our family.

In Belgium (like FBbaby says), we're automatically tested for toxoplasmosis. I'm not yet pregnant but I already know I'm not immune to it. Not my luck since 50% of women are... You should ask your gyno to get tested!

If you're not immune, you should not change your cat litter or let it scratch you. You shouldn't eat unwashed (or badly washed) raw veggies and eat raw (rare) meat. Well, my gyno told me not to freak out... I have always lived with indoor cats (which means changing A LOT of litters), eaten fruit from our yard and I never managed to catch toxoplasmosis (that's how you become immune in the first place)! Which means there is very little chance I will get it while pregnant, even if I accidentally get scratched by my kitty...

If you're immune, you can change the litter and play with your cat as much as you want! :)

In any case, you don't have to get rid of your kitty! On the contrary, it is proven that kids brought up in pet-friendly homes have better social skills! :happydance:

chances are if you have a cat you already cought the thing from wants in cat poo, it as symptoms like a cold etc, read this in a pregnancy book, so you wont be able to get it again and it wont affect you or baby, also when cleaning the litter box just wear disposable clothes and wash hands after or get your partner to clean the tray.

i'd never part with my cats x

It's nice to hear all you ladies talking about how much you love your little furballs!! I'd love to see some photos!! Let's get them up here! And thanks for all the info and advice, you've all been a big help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LeSqn75s44

^^^^^ thats a wee video of my kitten! she looks like a wee grey leopard!!

my little pure ginger GIRL Mog
https://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2120/44/117/571405229/n571405229_5695820_7576.jpg

Coleo
https://photos-d.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v316/44/117/571405229/n571405229_3984659_34.jpg

Meow
https://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v346/44/117/571405229/s571405229_4545484_5102.jpg

she is absolutely beautifull,im glad you sought out advise and are planning to keep your kitty,its such a shame so many dogs and cats are takin away from the homes they know because a baby is on the way,i work with animals mainly dogs from the pound and most people who surrender them to be put to sleep blame it on the fact that a baby is on the way,i have 2 dogs and they are part of my family,i dont see them as pets but like children i believe that if a person doesnt intend on loving a pet and treating it like a part of the family they should walk away its not fair on the animal...i know its hard when a child comes along to give the animal the attention it needs but its possible you just need to be aware shes still needs you too :hug: good luck with everything animal and baby related xx

You should be able to see Nero and Saffy as my avatar! I also have Arthur (who's silly mummy gave him up because she got a BFP - her loss, my gain), Cleo and a new arrival, Minnie, who replaces my lovely lovely Evie, lost on the road in February :(

I have mostly spotty cats, three egyptian maus and a serengeti, but Arthur is HUGE and fluffy because he is a skogcat :)

Anyone who tries to get rid of my cats will find themselves staked out in the garden for the kitties and chucks to finish off.

My newest arrival is just over 2 weeks old and i have no intention of giving up my cats. They are part of the family, they are both stayin out of the way at the mo, due to the noise level from Katie but they seem to be fine.

V xxx

we're extending our kitty family by a kitty or two x

My fur babies!!

Stink, Cricket, Frith, Nenya, Boris, and Vladimir. Love them all!

Ive always had cats around me when pregnant and when ive had babies - i would never give them up - the only thing you have to mind when pregnant is their poop in the cat tray - i overcame this by using gloves and washing afterwards and using alcohol gel.

Only thing is cats love moses baskets and cots and that is alsdo overcome by a spray gun - the little buggers soon learn lol.

Dont gove up your cat! my children have loved growing up with the dogs and cats around them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->