Giving water to babies

kmac625

Mom to baby Clara
Reaction score
I keep reading about giving water to your babies at mealtimes, but all of the reading I've done says that babies under 1 year old shouldn't be given water as all of their fluid intake should be breastmilk or formula. I always offer breast after Clara's meals and sometimes she drinks more than others, but I know she's getting as much as she needs/wants that way. Especially since at this age food/solids are more for the experience than for the nutrition and most of babies' nutrition should come from bm or formula.

Hi hun, they dont really need water when you start weaning, I'm not sure about BFing, but with ffing they dont need more than 20 oz at 9+ months & the average is 18-21 oz when they are on 3 solids at 6+ months. Formula can take up the space available for solids if it's more than the recommended at 9+ months. Water should be introduce when you start weaning but only few sips to train them. Once they'r eating more solids esp animal protien they wil need more water (around 3-4 oz). Introducing few sips before the age of one is good, as they start to become more picky & fussy about what they eat and drink when they'r older, if they'r used to its taste at an early age, they will take it easier when they really need it xx

We don't really give water either, maybe if it was hot or something inbetween but in small amounts.
Sometimes with his evening meal (pureed veg) for example i will offer him water (if he has his bottle over a hour ago) he takes around 10-20ml and thats it, so under 1oz.

Mine has a sippy cup for water. Sometimes I hold it for her and sometimes she holds it (and is very clear when she doesn't want it), but I always have it there for her at meals as she does want small sips when eating sometimes. She never drinks more than 2-3oz a day if that. I like to have it as she's prone to constipation.

Thanks for the responses ladies. I think I'll ask her pediatrician at her 6 month appointment if I should offer her some water. Clara's a slow weight gainer but a fast grower (between 4-5 months she grew 4cm but only gained 17oz) and I would hate to fill her up with water when she could have calorie-rich bm instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->