Glass bottles

Ellivort

Reaction score
We have decided, i think, to use glass bottles this time. The brand we use offers both bpa free plastic and glass, but with DD we found the plastic ones leaked after being sterilized. We are hoping the glass ones will be more durable.

With any luck I will be able to BF, but still will be doing bottles for DD, hubby and grandmas to help with feedings.

Are there any downfalls to glass bottles, aside from the breakage risk ofc?

We really like the nipples we used with DD and are using the same, improved ones for this babe, just switching to glass and wondered if there was a downfall to them i hadn't considered?

Thanks!

You can get silicone wraps for if they drop the bottle, it wont break.

Theres no disadvantage. Its what our grandparents would have used and those bfore them vs Plastic is just cheaper and easier to get.

id use glass in a heartbeat!

You might also look into stainless steal, which has the benefits of glass without the breakage risk. I don't know how they compare on cost. This company is obviously in the UK, but I'm sure you can find something similar in North America:

https://www.onegreenbottle.com/product-category/baby-bottles/

No experience using their baby bottles, but my daughter (who's 4) uses their regular bottles with the spout and we've been really happy with the quality.

I think my only concern would be it would be hard to measure volume in if you are using it for formula (rather than breastmilk when obviously you don't need to mix it up). Similarly, I've read that some glass bottles easily lose the markings for the volume on the side unless it's etched in rather than painted on, so perhaps that would be an issue either way and one you could find a way around.

You might also look into stainless steal, which has the benefits of glass without the breakage risk. I don't know how they compare on cost. This company is obviously in the UK, but I'm sure you can find something similar in North America:

No experience using their baby bottles, but my daughter (who's 4) uses their regular bottles with the spout and we've been really happy with the quality.

I think my only concern would be it would be hard to measure volume in if you are using it for formula (rather than breastmilk when obviously you don't need to mix it up). Similarly, I've read that some glass bottles easily lose the markings for the volume on the side unless it's etched in rather than painted on, so perhaps that would be an issue either way and one you could find a way around.

thank you. I hadn't thought about the markings. Looks like the glass bottles are marked and not etched, but I am wondering if its going to be a major issue since, with any luck, she will be 90% feeding from the breast. The bottles are more of a novelty because I know DD has talked about feeding her and I know hubby enjoyed having time with DD to feed her and of course Grandma.

I think i'll keep the newborn starter kit, which gives 2 small bottles and 2 larger, plus nipples and see how they work out before commiting to anymore.

It helped my decision that the glass set was on sale 30$ cheaper than the plastic :p

EDIT: It just occurred to me to check reviews (baby brain) and it looks like the glass ones leak too! Uggh. I think we're going back to the drawing board on this one :p

thank you. I hadn't thought about the markings. Looks like the glass bottles are marked and not etched, but I am wondering if its going to be a major issue since, with any luck, she will be 90% feeding from the breast. The bottles are more of a novelty because I know DD has talked about feeding her and I know hubby enjoyed having time with DD to feed her and of course Grandma.

I think i'll keep the newborn starter kit, which gives 2 small bottles and 2 larger, plus nipples and see how they work out before commiting to anymore.

It helped my decision that the glass set was on sale 30$ cheaper than the plastic :p

EDIT: It just occurred to me to check reviews (baby brain) and it looks like the glass ones leak too! Uggh. I think we're going back to the drawing board on this one :p

Mine are etched..

and they leak if you dont use the right ring for the nipple.

Mine are etched..

and they leak if you dont use the right ring for the nipple.

I just googled it because i hadn't opened the box and they didn't look etched. So they could be. I always used the same one that came with the bottle/nipple, but possibly we were doing it wrong with the rings. good to know!

I just googled it because i hadn't opened the box and they didn't look etched. So they could be. I always used the same one that came with the bottle/nipple, but possibly we were doing it wrong with the rings. good to know!

You might also try a different nipple too. I find the silicone ones are better than the rubber. The rubber seem smaller and thinner.

I like glass better than plastic because i feel like the plastic ones get really gross ( with staining/soap build up, etc ) plus the glass ones can connect to the pump and i can then freeze them and they wont break/crack.

Cuppow makes a sippy spout that you can attach to a glass canning jar and we did that when they get to the sippy stage.

With DS1 I used glass (Dr. Browns) up until 2 months when we switched to the 8oz bottles, I found the were just too heavy.

With DS2 I bought the Avent 4oz glass bottles and love love love them! I will switch to plastic though once we get to the 9oz bottles.

I've dropped them too, and they haven't broken on me yet!

I have used the avent glass bottles through both of my girls and I LOVE them!! I've dropped them on my tile also and never had one chip or break. I run them through my dishwasher and don't feel bad about it as I would with plastic! Mine never leaked but I did have one bottle that doesn't seal "tight" and ifor you tried to tighten it , it would click and be loose again!! I got the hang of how tight to tighten that particular one but the rest I never had a single problem with!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->