Glucose in Urine...

sueh81

Mummy to 1 & 1 on the way
Reaction score
At my mw appointment yesterday she said I had readings of glucose in my urine and needed to do a random blood sugar test to test for gestational diabetes, she was trying for almost an hour to find a vein but to no success so i'm having to go back today to see the nurse to get my bloods done, should I be worried as she tried so hard for so long to take blood or is this a standard procedure??

If there is glucose in your urine, this is a common practice to draw blood for further testing...not being able to find a vein is not. Hopefully when you go back, they will have better luck in being able to draw the blood. Best of luck.

dont worry, i have hide and seek veins too! they usually get so fed up that they just find anything and stab at it to see if they get anything, which they never do and i end up black and blue and in so much pain which doesnt do anything for my needle phobia! at least you get to go back to try find a vein instead of them just having a stab in the dark! try drinking LOTS before your next appointment, drink until your constantly needing a pee and wrap up so warm that your sweating, both bring the veins to the surface. i turn up to my appointments like a sweaty pig that cant control her bladder! haha!
good luck!! xx

I had this done it's nothing major I also have awful veins my midwife could never find them in the end I always just asked for a hospital form & I'd go there as they do it all day every day xx

ooo thought id add that if they cant find a vein this time round they might ask you if they can take blood from another part of your body, my nurse asked if she could take it from my ankle because there was a nice big juicy vein there, obviously i refused that and you by no means have to say yes to this. they may send you to the hospital to get the bloods taken because they have more experience with veins playing peekaboo lol! if they end up wanting to do your ankle and you agree then ask for some aneasthetic cream, it takes 30 mins to take effect but at least you wont feel the needle going in xx

ooh thanks for the advice hun!! It was soo painful when she shoved the thing in and 'hoped for the best' I was sat there cringing in pain and left with a lovely purple bruise that wouldn't stop bleeding!!
i'll have to sit there plaiting my legs if I drink loads before I go in a bit!
xx

ooh thanks for the advice hun!! It was soo painful when she shoved the thing in and 'hoped for the best' I was sat there cringing in pain and left with a lovely purple bruise that wouldn't stop bleeding!!
i'll have to sit there plaiting my legs if I drink loads before I go in a bit!
xx

well good luck hun! hopefully this time your veins will be good! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back