Glucose Tolerance Test question

maranda

3rd Trimester!
Reaction score
So I have the GTT tomorrow morning, I thought that you were suppose to fast from midnight on to your AM appointment. I was told otherwise, by my midwife, & that I should eat an egg & couple pieces of bacon & some OJ one hour before I come in. What should I do? I don't want to mess the test up but I asked them 2 times if it was ok to eat. I am confused, anyone else have a similar problem?

You might be eating the breakfast instead of the glucose drink.
Although I still had to fast, and I had to eat the breakfast too.. I don't know, sorry!

I think she is trying to sabotage your results!

I was told to do what I normally do at night/in the morning. I dont usually eat in the mornings anyway so it was no biggie. Hope that helps xx

I know that I am taking the drink, I think I might just not eat. I would hate for something to go wrong and have to do more tests again.

My mw told me I could have a normal breakfast and then 2 eggs before the test (test was at 1 pm.)

I'd be leery of the orange juice, unless the breakfast truly is in place of the sugar drink!! Can you call in the morning and ask?

are you sure they are doing a Glucose Tolerance test? my gyno did a Glucose Challenge test- this is similar to a GTT, only no fasting. They do this as a routine screening to see if you would need a GTT, so that they dont subject every woman to fasting for no reason

eat a normal breakfast -but nothing with tons of sugar - ie, pancakes, cereal w/sugar, etc etc. and don't drink OJ!! that will spike your sugar level!

This is the one hour test right? I guess you can do what they tell you. The substitute doc I got at the appt before told me that there is no need to fast. But apparently my OB wrote on the back of my form not to eat for 2 hours before the test, which I didn't read.

I ate a McD combo with a coke right before my test, because I read people said to eat something before so the sugar spike doesn't cause as much side effects. Anyway, apparently that was a BAAAAD idea. In hindsight it was stupid of me, but coke has always made me feel less nauseous and I already wasn't feeling so good that day.

I was severely nauseous for 4 days after even while I have continuously been on diclectin (had to take Gravol 3 of the 4 nights as it got so bad). I failed the test by a bit and found out I wasn't supposed to eat/drink a couple hours before the test when I was trying to talk my way out of taking the 3 hour glucose test.

I ended up just taking a fasting test without drinking the solution afterward. Still waiting for my result, but I would say eat your breakfast but not the OJ and do it a couple hours before the test.

Thank you Everyone for helping me out. I don't think that I am going to eat before I go in just because I normally don't anyway. I will eat afterward no biggie. I have gone online and done some research about it & everything says NOT to eat so that is what I will do. I know that it won't mess up the results or anything.
& it is the GTT they already told me that I will have my blood taken when I get there, then take the drink wait an hour, and test again.

I'm not sure about the 1 hour test but i had my 3 hour test yesterday
and i fasted from midnight up until i did it and basically i went in had a blood test/urine straight away then i drank a bottle of this drink - waited an hour - blood test/urine - then waited an hour again and another blood test/urine

I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything until it was finished.

x

i had to fast from 12am.. but i could drink as much water as i like.. plain water.. not flavoured.. :) ..

i had me bloods took at 9.30am .. got given some drink that tasted like flat sprite but tasted loads of lime.. then i had my bloods took at 11.30am.. i could still drink water.. but thats it..

goodluck with ya test :) xx

i had mine last week, i had to fast from midnight then have a glucose drink 2 hrs b4 my appt. then i went to hosp. for the blood test. x

I fasted from midnight. Went to the hospital had blood taken. Then drank the sugary crap drink. I was told I could go home and come back in 2 hours. But I had to bring a snack so that she could tell I was ok to go back home. So I packed some cheese and pretzels made my way bag, got osme more blood taken and then sat and nibbled a bit until she was satisfied and I could go. She said the NHS used to offer food after the GTT but with budget cuts we're meant to bring our food. Which I personally think is reasonable enough.

I would fast if I were you. Unless your appointment is like in the afternoon then I would nibble on some veg or biscuits until then so that you don't faint or anything.

I went to the doctors today & I am glad that I didn't eat. They pretty much sounded like I shouldn't have, but if I did it shouldn't matter too much as long as I didn't have any sugar. Anyway I had to drink that orange drink, then wait one hour and get a blood test. Everything should be good they said, Oh & my MW said that the baby is measuring a week ahead = D maybe that means a early delivery? lol they didn't change my EDD though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->