Glucose Tolerance Test

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by aymz1983, Aug 9, 2021.

1. aymz1983

aymz1983 Well-Known Member

Just a wondering - what do they use these days to test this?
    With my first 19 years ago I had to down what felt like the world's entire supply of lucozade (still can't drink it now!) and with my last 10 years ago it was some sort of sweet lemon fairy dish soap stuff bleurgh.
    I remember with my last hearing people gagging etc because they couldn't swallow it quick enough etc which is all I can think of right now and I'm half tempted to not have it because I don't want to risk bringing it back up.... (Phobia)

Thanks!

2. Penguin20

Penguin20 Well-Known Member

With my daughter 6 years ago I was told I would get the horrible drink but I had orange lucozade instead but my midwife said this time round they will use one of them horrible drinks everyone talks about so not looking forward to that lol hopefully I get lucky and they give me lucozade again

aymz1983 likes this.
  3. LoneWanderer

LoneWanderer Well-Known Member

Mine couple of months back was like a sort of flat irn-bru but it wasn't loads (like a typical glass of squash size) and not horrendous. Wouldn't order it in a bar but definitely easy enough to get down - and felt fine after.

aymz1983 likes this.
  4. aymz1983

Thanks...I'd rather have lucozade again if it meant not having the fairy liquid stuff ha

5. aymz1983

That doesn't sound as bad, I think I could cope with that :)

6. Suggerhoney

Suggerhoney Blessed and Thankful

I had this orange drink and tbh it wasn't that bad.

aymz1983 likes this.
  7. aymz1983

That's good to know :)

8. dairymomma

dairymomma Well-Known Member

I have had an orange drink that tastes like orange soda pop without the fizz. I find it's best to drink it when cold because it seems to sit better in my stomach and the worst that's happened to me afterwards is raging heartburn. But sugar gives me raging heartburn every pregnancy I've ever had so no surprises there. If you are worried about the flavor upsetting your stomach, talk to your doctor or midwife about other options. I've heard of people being able to use honey instead of the sugar drink they give you. Or there may be a different flavor you could try.

9. Avasaurus91

Avasaurus91 Well-Known Member

I had my first GTT done with baba #3 a few weeks back its a nasty raspberry esque flavoured drink here, it made me feel rather unwell afterwards, results negative at this stage but another GTT to follow in november due to history of it and being high risk for it again

10. Teafor2

Teafor2 Well-Known Member

I just scheduled mine and they recommend that I bring lemon to add because it makes it easier to drink. You could ask if they allow that?