Godparents!!

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by leedsforever, Sep 30, 2008.

1. leedsforever

leedsforever Kerry!

I think Ive seen on BnB before about godparents and that your baby daughter can have 2 females and 1 male!??!!

Is this right.... I really cant choose between 2 of my friends and want to ask them both?!?

What have others of you done?

2. reallytinyamy

reallytinyamy Mum and step mum

Traditionally a daughter would have two females and a male and a son would have 2 males and a female but its not followed so strictly these days.

Chloe is just having one of each, which will be a nightmare as i have 2 sisters!!

3. Younglutonmum

Younglutonmum Mummy To Maya & Bump

As reallytinyamy says that is the traditonal way but these days you don't need to stick to it

You can have as many as you like. I read about someone having 8 Godparents!!!

Maya will be having 2 of each :)

4. Mrs L

Mrs L Well-Known Member

We are having a naming cermony for Niamh and it that you don't have god parents your have adult guardians! (same thing really!) You can have as many as you want no restrictions

5. leedsforever

leedsforever Kerry!

what happens at a naming ceremony ??

6. Mrs L

Mrs L Well-Known Member

basically it is a similiar idea to getting married in a civil ceremony so not in a church so no reglious content allowed!

Each parent, adult guardian and grandparent if you wish makes a promise to the child it can be anything you like! You give an explaination as to what the childs name means and why you chose it and anything else you wish to add. You can have them wherever you want aswell.

We decided this way is best as i am Cof E and OH is catholic so we thought it would be best to let Niamh decide if she wants to follow a religion when she is old enough to decide for herself.

7. isil

isil Well-Known Member

i think you can have as many as you want really. my neice has 2 men and 4 ladies!

8. louisaL

louisaL Trying for number 1

could you not have both your sisters as godmothers?

9. nikky0907

nikky0907 Well-Known Member

We can only have one of each...It's gonna be a nightmare choosing between friends but I'm not sure if it's even allowed to have more than one of each. :huh:

10. reallytinyamy

reallytinyamy Mum and step mum

I dont want one of them!! She's bad enough being an aunt!

11. donnad

donnad Well-Known Member

i think that it depends on the church because my daughter was allowed to have upto 4 godparents so we picked 2 women and 2 men to make it even

12. Whisper

Whisper Mummy to DD & DS

I think it does depend on the church i have 2 godparents that are female and my brother has 4 female godparents!

13. Margerle

Margerle Well-Known Member

It does depend on the church/religion. Catholics only need one godparent, of either gender, who is a practicing Catholic during a Baptism. The other is a either a Christian witness of the other gender or another godparent of the other gender.

For Sharlotte, I asked my brother and daughter to be Godparents. DD1 has my other brother and a lady friend of our family who is very faithful.

Other non Catholic Christian faiths have other rules/traditions.

Congratulations on the celebration!
    :happydance: