Going back to work - routine?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by BabyMama2010, Jun 8, 2011.

1. BabyMama2010

BabyMama2010 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I will be going back to work when Rayan is 3 months old. Financially I have too although I really really dont want to :nope:

At the moment I am breast feeding which I love & he wakes approx every 2-3 hours for a feed.

I'm just wondering how I'll set a routine for him for during the night for when I'm back at work. If he wakes as often as he does now I'll be knackered!

Need tips, advice, info from working mummys!!! :kiss:

2. Louppey

Louppey Mummy to 2 girls <3

Hey Hun! Firstly congratulations on your little man :baby:

I FF but i'd be happy to share my routine with you as I too am a working Mummy. I went back at 3 months too :thumbup: Admittedly, I only done 3 days a week for one month but I am back full time 5 days a week now.

My Mum looks after my LO and this is our standard work day:

06:30 Wake for the day - This is my half an hour to get ready! Shower the night before!!
    07:00 Bottle for LO, change of nappy & get dressed
    07:30 Leave for my Mum's, the journey takes about 30 mins. Most of the time LO dozes
    08:00 Breakfast for LO (apple & prune puree) and brekkie for me! Toast n tea normally!
    08:40 Leave for work

Then LO's day continues like this with my Mum:

09:00 LO has a nap
    11:00 Bottle
    12:30 Lunch (vege puree) and Water
    13:00 LO has a nap
    15:00 Bottle
    16:00 LO has a nap
    17:15 I collect LO from my Mum, we then travel back to mine, again about 30 mins.

Then the evening routine is like this:

18:00 Bottle
    18:15 Dinner (vege puree)
    19:30 Bath / Baby Massage (I alternate)
    20:00 Bottle
    20:30 Put to bed (awake)
    22:00 Dreamfeed

If it makes you feel any better, your LO will probably not be waking as much as he is at the moment. My LO had no idea about night and day and it didn't really sink in til around 5 weeks. Some babies will be STTN by the time you go back to work. Sadly mine wasn't & still isn't!!! I've just got used to the tiredness now, it's only on an exceptionally bad night that I will really notice how tired I am.

GL hun :flower:

3. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm not much help, I still haven't managed getting LO into a routine, we are having so many problems with feeding and reflux. I'm going back to work in 3 month....it seems ages until I realise its only 12 weeks away :( I'm lucky that most of the time she sleeps through but god help the days she doesnt and I'm going to be at work...I'll be like a walking zombie! xx

4. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

When I was pregnant I always said I'll have my baby in a routine blah blah and it just hasnt seemed to plan out that way. We've had problem after problem. Gave up in the end thinking I was absolutely nutts! But its do-able!!! How the hell have you managed this? Absolutely fab!! Any tips and advice to give for getting my 14week old into a routine for my return to work I'd be more than happy :) xx

5. Louppey

Well tbh i've not really done an awful lot to enforce it, well not until recently! That's really only because i've had too or else i'd never get out the house!!!

The two things I started with was getting LO onto a routine for feeds, every 3 hours at first, then slowly spaced it out (15 mins each time) til she would go 4 hours.

I also introduced a bedtime routine fairly early on, like around 2 months, which was bath bottle bed or bottle bath bed depending on where we were with her feeding. I never used to do this at a set time, but i'd always do the same each night. When I first introduced it, it was pretty much bottle, bath, sleepsuit on, back downstairs, lights off (just one lamp on) and the TV turned right down. I'd then let LO fall alseep downstairs either on the couch or in her moses basket and then i'd carry her upstairs in her moses basket each night. When she got too big for the basket (3 months) I had to be more strict, so it was bath, bottle, wind down downstairs (lamp/tv on low) then upstairs and placed in the cot half asleep. I'd *almost* rock her off to sleep in the rocking chair first but I always made sure she went in to the cot awake.

Don't know if it helps her sleep, but I swaddle her. I find she's a lot calmer when swaddled.

Oh and don't feel bad about not being in a routine, as long as you & LO are happy I don't see that it matters!

6. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

We started a bedtime routine from 6 weeks. Since then Gracie has been in her cot in her room. We had weeks of tweeking at first to find out which order she prefered to do things in etc. We've always stuck to following the same pattern but have had to change the time of bed to fit in with dads changes of jobs and things a few times.
    We do..
    about 6oclock - nap, nappy off time, bath, bottle, cuddles and bed.

I must say she knows when her bedtime is!

Through the day we are just all to piggle with trying different things to help the reflux. Nothing seems to work! Just go with Gracie for now x

7. Louppey

Oh I feel for you having a LO with reflux :hugs:

Coralie doesn't have anything like that, so tbh i'm not sure how well routine would fit with a reflux baby.

However, it's always worth a go! Have you thought about inroducing a morning routine, ie starting the day at the same time everyday. Get the first bottle or BF done at the same time everyday, as well as perhaps the first nap and see if this helps you get more structured?

You don't need to necessarily wake your LO up any earlier than she normally wakes, just work out roughly what time she wakes and then go from there with a set wake up time.

Oh, and another thing which helped me, I keep a note of everything. In a notepad on my phone, what time LO wakes, times for bottles, times for naps (and how long she napped), food, etc etc etc. I then note at the bottom of each day how much milk she has had & how long she's napped for all together. Helped me work out roughly what she needs a day :thumbup: That also helped me sort out a routine that worked for my LO.

8. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

In a morning she'll wake between half 6 and 7 and go back down to sleep until 9ish....its then that it alll goes to plot until her little nap around 6 then we start the bedtime routine.

I had days of writing down and everyday was soooo different I gave up there aswell!

xx

9. Louppey

Haha yeah I had loads of days like that too! Totally different.

Do you have medication for your LO's reflux? Perhaps getting that under control (I am naive - I don't know how easy that is!) will help get you into more of a routine.

IIRC you said you were going back to work in 3 months, so when LO is 6 months old? Are you planning on weaning at 4 months to help with the reflux? As you may find this helps with the routine thing too :)

10. Thegirl

Thegirl Well-Known Member

I work full time and breastfeed at home. My little one only wakes once in the night now. He had settled down to once in the night by three months too.
    I was expressing during the day when I first went back to work. I managed until six months but found it really hard work. Now my little one has formula during the day (mixed in with baby rice as he still won't take a bottle) and I feed him in the morning and at night, plus the solids he's started on now.
    My best advice would be to make sure your little one will take a bottle (we waited too long before introducing one) it is so much easier for someone else to look after them if they will drink from a bottle.

11. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

She has a double dose of gaviscon in every feed.

I'm at my wits end atm with it. Endless amounts of attempts with the GP and HV and getting nowhere. I'm taking her to a&e tonight to see if they can of better help and hopefully will put her on medication or change her milk or something.

We were advised to start weaning and have done. Well we had, then we stopped, now we are again......and probably arent going to be by tonight. Shes been having abit porridge for a few nights now again....but just the last 2 nights she has been projectile sick right before bed :( its so horrible! I dont know if the sick is because of the porridge.

xx

12. Louppey

Oh my goodness that sounds awful :hugs:

Let me know how you get on at A&E tonight, pm me or something cause i'm crap at finding replies on threads sometimes LOL!

Have you thought about skipping the porridge, and offering some puree veg or something instead? Perhaps it's the gluten in the porridge that your LO isn't liking? My LO loves sweet potato, it was the first food we tried her with - may be worth a shot? At the end of the day, you'll only waste a potato.

Also perhaps offer her the solids for brekkie? That way she isn't feeling all sicky before bed time?

13. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Yeah I did think of that but I think she may have that cows milk protein allergy. The porridge is gluten free so it cant be that.

I tried giving her porridge on a morning as well and she was sick too :( not as much as the night time tho but still sick.

x

14. Louppey

How strange. Have you looked in the "Ask me about" thread for reflux mummies help? If you're off to a&e tonight I assume your GP isn't taking you too seriously so you never know a mummy on here may be able to help you out?

It just sounds awful I really feel for you!

15. Louppey

16. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

The GP said they dont like to prescribe medication to babies. Gaviscon isnt classed as medication just a thickener or something. I dont think its just reflux tho, I think its definitely something to do with the milk. We'll get there in the end (hopefully) xx

17. BabyMama2010

BabyMama2010 Well-Known Member

Thegirl - great that your LO only wakes once during the night, any tips for how I can get my wee guy prepared for that? Do you have a routine?

Rayan's already used to being bottle fed as I use formula when we're out & its not possible to get my boob out!

When I go back to work I plan to boob feed him when I'm home & have him on formula when at work. Will this be possible without expressing?

Thanks for any tips! xxx