Going back to work

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by BabyMama2010, Jun 8, 2011.

1. BabyMama2010

BabyMama2010 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I will be going back to work when Rayan is 3 months old. Financially I have too although I really really dont want to :nope:

At the moment I am breast feeding which I love & he wakes approx every 2-3 hours for a feed. I hope to pump at the office.

I'm just wondering how I'll set a routine for him for during the night for when I'm back at work. If he wakes as often as he does now I'll be knackered!

Need tips, advice, info from working mummys!!! :kiss:

2. Lightworker

Lightworker Well-Known Member

I went back to work early on. My DD1 reverse-cycled so although she had 2 bottles that I expressed during the day, she took most feeds at night, we co-slept so that helped alot, but I was still pretty much shattered till I stopped working a yr later. X

3. TigerLady

TigerLady CaveTiger Clan Mama

Where are you? US or UK or ? You say you "hope" to pump at the office. What makes you think you won't be able to?

I went back after US FMLA, which is 12 weeks with DS. With DD I went back half time at 10 weeks and full time at 14 weeks (again maxed out my FMLA).

As for night -- my DS was still waking every 1-2 hours until 14 weeks and 2-3 hours until 8 months. My DD reverse cycles and wakes so much at night that I don't even keep count anymore. :wacko: Co-sleeping is the only thing that has saved me. I'm still tired... but I manage. :thumbup:

4. michkotte

michkotte Well-Known Member

What about freezing your expressed milk and share the night shifts with your husband/ partner when you are too tired...?
    You can freeze your milk up to 6 months

5. TigerLady

TigerLady CaveTiger Clan Mama

The problem with this method is that you couldn't do it very often. Once a week for one or two feeds maybe. If you want to keep your supply up, you have to pump when LO has a bottle of ebm. So, while OH might be feeding and caring for the baby, mom would have to get up and pump. :dohh: It's easier to just do the night duty yourself.

6. becstar

becstar Sleep is for the weak

I went back when La was 4 months. I used to pump 3 times a day and feed her before I left, when I got in and at night. I co-slept as she reverse cycled and fed a lot, so it got me much more sleep to just share the bed with her.

Your employer needs to accommodate you to pump. I recommend a dual electric one (I love my Ameda Lactaline) for quick and easiest pumping and to maintain your supply.

Good luck!!