Going crazy - feel like I have a newborn again!

Sabine

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Hoping you can help! My daughter started sleeping through the night at about 7/8 weeks from 7/7.30pm- 7.30am the next morning. No wakeups, no dummy.

She is now almost 5 months and for the past few weeks she has been waking up multiple times per night, crying.
She's not hungry, not hot/cold, doesn't seem to be in pain during the day etc. Usually I put the dummy in and she goes right back to sleep, but lately I'm having to do this almost every hour and I'm EXHAUSTED!!

I tried giving her some Calpol before bed too, because I thought maybe teething pains, but this didn't change anything.
I even put up blackout blinds because the waking started at 5.30am so I thought maybe the light was bothering her, but now she's waking from 12/1am onwards...

Also, she started weaning at 20 weeks, so I don't think it's hunger.

She seems fine other than this night-time waking.

Please help!! I'm losing my mind!!!!

Sabine
xxx

Sometimes babies go through stages of not sleeping hun :hugs: It can be very frustrating and tiring but I would just keeping rocking her etc and settling her

It could be a growth spurt anything. Hope it gets better soon :hugs: xx

Arrrghh!! How long is this 'stage' likely to last?! I'm totally wiped out!
Thanks for the reply :)

Aidan went through it around 4/5 months and it lasted about 4 weeks. Every baby is different hun, hopefully it doesn't last too long xx

It could be the 4 month regression coming late.

I know how you feel though, Harrison is 7 months and these last few weeks his sleep has gotten worse. He hasn't slept all night yet, but he was getting there. He is now waking up 3+ times a night. He is worse than he was when he was newborn.

Have you tried giving her a bit of water when she wakes?

I would say it's a growth spurt or sleep regression. Their patterns change all the time, it's so frustrating! I guess you just have to ride it out hun. Do you think she might be reliant on the dummy to stay asleep? If it becomes a big problem you might need to think about weaning her off it? xx

Thanks Aidan's mummy :) Hoping it won't last too long either. It's been 4-5 weeks already :cry:

Oliviarose - thanks :)
haven't tried water because I don't want to wake her further...she literally goes right back to sleep as soon as the dummy is popped in.
Should I try water?

Could it be the 4 month sleep regression, albeit a little later than it should be?

My LO had only been waking once a night (for a feed) til about 12 weeks, then she stopped wanting the feed but kept waking up anyway :wacko: I had a really bad week a couple of weeks ago when she was waking anywhere between 30-90 minutes throughout the night :coffee: Last week she was back to waking twice just for her dummy... this week so far has been horrendous with her waking up and staying up for 90-120 minutes crying and just generally being unsettled :sleep:

I'm shattered, and i'm hoping it's the regression so she goes back to her regular pattern of just waking once! Oh if only :cry:

Hang on in there honey, it has to get better :hugs:

blinkybaby - that's exactly what I'm worried about! Don't want her to rely on the dummy too much, but if I don't put the dummy in right away, she wakes up even more and then gets hysterical and takes longer to settle again!! :shrug:

blinkybaby - that's exactly what I'm worried about! Don't want her to rely on the dummy too much, but if I don't put the dummy in right away, she wakes up even more and then gets hysterical and takes longer to settle again!! :shrug:

I know exactly where you're coming from, I'm monitoring Louie's dummy use very carefully! He can go down at night without it and a lot of the time will sleep all night without it but if he does stir in the night I'm straight in there with the dummy and he goes straight back to sleep! If it comes to me needing to do that more than 2 or 3 times a night I will have to think about taking it away completely at night and trying to settle him in other ways like stroking his forehead etc. Hoping it doesn't come to that. At the moment I think the dummy is preferable to a hysterical screaming baby, I think when it really comes a problem for you, you will know and taking it away will be the last resort. xxx

We've had quite a few stages in the past year where I've thought 'oh no, whats happened to our great sleeper!' but every time he seems to settle down again after maybe a week or two. He's going through a phase at the moment of waking at about 3am but he's had a cold and is teething too. xx

It's like torture when they sleep through the night and then all of a sudden, stop!!
You get used to your sleep again!! And then it's gone... :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->