Going on a plane??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by The Catster, Mar 15, 2010.

1. The Catster

The Catster Mummy of 2 girls!!!!!!!!!

I will be 26 weeks when we are going away to the Carribbean at the end of April....just a few questions...

- Will I be ok travelling at 26 weeks? Will the airline let me on the plane?
    - Do you think I am mad travelling at 26 weeks? Is it too risky?

Thanks in Advance....

xxx:hugs::hugs::hugs:

2. discoclare

discoclare Well-Known Member

1. Check with the airline. Most should let you fly before 37 weeks (after 28 weeks you need a letter from your midwife/GP)
    2. Of course you are not mad! I just flew to San Francisco and back and wasn't the only pregnany lady on the flight home. What do you think is risky about it? DVT? If so the risk is a bit higher for pregnant ladies - get an aisle seat and move around freqeuently during the flight. Drink lots of water.

Have a lovely holiday - where are you off to?

3. holywoodmum

holywoodmum 2 girls and one cooking

I flew at 32/33 weeks last time to Fueteventura...
    You should be fine if you have no other problems with pg. Walk around lots, drink lots of wtter and maybe wear those compression socks for long haul,
    Most airlines let you fly up to 36 weeks, but do check, also check your travel insurance will still be valid :)
    They do say the best time to travel is second tri, so I'd say go, and enjoy!

4. holywoodmum

I flew at 32/33 weeks last time to Fueteventura...
    You should be fine if you have no other problems with pg. Walk around lots, drink lots of wtter and maybe wear those compression socks for long haul,
    Most airlines let you fly up to 36 weeks, but do check, also check your travel insurance will still be valid :)
    They do say the best time to travel is second tri, so I'd say go, and enjoy!

5. kc1980

kc1980 Well-Known Member

You should be fine but get a letter to give to the airline in case they hassle you. Am going to Sicily in two weeks and my doc gave me a letter today.

6. The Catster

Aw thanks girls!!!!

I am either off to Dominican Republic or Jamaica....DH not finished his searches as yet lol!
    I wanted a last hol b4 baba came for Grace (DD).

I don't know I think I am a little concerned about if I go into labour over there??? I know it sounds mad...but just a little concern.
    I will defo get a letter off Doc (thanks)....and will watch out for the travel insurance side of things too!

Ah you're all sooooo bloody clever, aint ya!!!!! I knew my girls would have the ansa!!!!

7. Csunshine013

Csunshine013 Well-Known Member

If your going to be flying a long time it's advised that you get up and move around as they are concerned with blood clots but other than that you can travel!

Have a lovely holiday!

8. Zo23

Zo23 Well-Known Member

Ill be heading to hawaii when I am 26 weeks...and I am so looking forward to it. I say go for it and have fun! Just drink lots of water and stay out of the sun!

9. venusrockstar

venusrockstar ~Aspiring Photographer~

I'm going to the Dominican in May for my sister's wedding. I'll be 33/34 weeks. My airline said anything before 36 weeks is okay, but they do want my doctor to write a note saying I am in healthy condition to fly and state how far along I am etc...

As for going into labour over there, make sure you have some kind of out of country benefits. I get mine through work.

10. The Catster

I have private medical insurance but I know it doesnt cover fertility or pregnancy...
    What exactly do you mean by, out of country benefits???

11. holywoodmum

You need to make sure your travel insurance will cover medical care abroad is all I think... most policys cover up to 28 weeks in a pregnancy with no complications... and this week I discovered that this company simple https://www.simpletravelinsurance.co.uk/ cover throughout prengnancy if you have no complications (and haven't had any in previous pregnancies).
    Basically so that if baby did happen to arrive early while you were away that your medical care would be covered, as would any extended stay abroad, and your resheduled return home...
    If you've had any complications IHI www.ihi.com are very good I've used them in the past...

12. ricschick

ricschick Proud mummy of 6!

flying is fine hun just walk about a bit just wondering have you spoken to the doc about maleria tablets and vacs as you need both for domincan republic? and also just be careful what you eat as i had a bad case of the runs when i went to dom rep and dont buy any food outside your hotel. xx

13. venusrockstar

venusrockstar ~Aspiring Photographer~

Insurance that will cover the costs if you should have your baby overseas.

14. vkj73

vkj73 Well-Known Member

i'm just about 27 weeks. i'll be flying a couple of times (short flights) the first week of april. my midwife said it's fine. i asked her if i need a note and she said no. my due date is june 19th and she said i could fly all the way to mid-may.

enjoy your trip!!! it'll be great:thumbup:

15. The Catster

Vey helpful!!! Thank you!!!! xxx:hugs::hugs::hugs:

16. holywoodmum

you;re welcome :) enjoy your holiday!

17. StarLightxx

StarLightxx Well-Known Member

This was really helpful, im going to tenerife at 26 weeks and was worried as I've never been on an aerplane before!

18. EmmaM2

EmmaM2 new mummy

Yeah i'm off to cuba in 4 weeks. Do check with the individual airline as one of the ones we looked at (i think it may have been thompson) had a really early cut off - you had to be no more than 28 weeks at the time of return flight. As the others said though most are much later than this. Have a lovely holiday. x

19. kc1980

kc1980 Well-Known Member

I got a letter from my doc. anyway because if you have a snotty person at the airline, how else can you prove when you are due? If you're really big for your stage, then might be harder to convince them.....

20. The Catster

I have been to Dominica b4, when I was 6 weeks pg and didnt get any vaccs, but will ask mw just in case. Ta. Also will ask about malaria tabs/creams etc....

Thanks for advice!!!