Going on holiday with a 3 month old - would you??

Sassy_TTC

Poppy & Zac's Mummy :-D
Reaction score
Hey Mummys,

Thought you would be the best people to ask as I'm currently still in 3rd tri! Anyway we are planning a holiday aborad to Cyprus in Sept (4hour flight), our baby will be about 3 month's, are we crazy in thinking this will be do-able? will you really need to take that much stuff etc? :shrug:

Any advice would be much appreciated, we would be staying at a villa so I'm assuming that would make things easier than staying in a hotel? :shrug:

Oh God, i don't mean to be blunt, but i really, really wouldn't!

If it is at all possible i would give it at least 9 months if you can. We went to Edinburgh for the weekend when DD was 9 months old and that itself was a proper, proper blag. Never mind going abroad! :lol:

Maybe others will think it won't be so bad, but for me the first 3 months are a whirlwind of visitors, getting feeding established and zombified days due to sleepless nights. The 3 month growth spurt is one of the worst ones and if you're planning to breastfeed it's basically a time when you have baby attached to you almost solidly for up to a week.

Plus, it's your first and without wanting to sound all "BTDT got the t-shirt" you really don't know how much of a culture shock bringing a baby home is until it happens. If you're like me and most women i speak to you will barely have time to wash your hair or go for a shit, never mind having to plan for and pack for a holiday.

And, of course, babies go through SO MUCH stuff - nappies, clothes etc. that you would need to take a suitcase for the baby that is probably bigger than the two of yours and OH/DH's put together!!

Sorry if i'm being negative i'm ust hoping by being honest i can save you a boat load of stress. :)

Honestly, I wouldn't. At that age the baby will need to be kept totally out of the sun so you'd need keep them in a UV tent constantly or stay indoors, you wont enjoy the sunshine. Also with BFing amelie was still on the boob for long periods of time and quite often. IDK, I just know I wouldn't have enjoyed myself.

i went to italy when my daughter was 3 months old - my sister was getting married there so i had no choice ! it was not a holiday in the slightest and i certainly wouldn't have done it if it had not been a wedding

british airways losing two of our suitcases, our pushchair and our carseat was just the tip of the iceberg !

duplicate post due to rubbish internet connection !

At 3 months, probably not. But 4 months was manageable. We only went to Germany though, to visit family which is only an hour flight. :)

I can't imagine going on holiday with Louie right now! To be blunt - no way would I consider it. I feel like it would be a complete waste of money as I wouldn't be able to relax at all. We've only just got LO established into a nice routine and if we went on hols I could see that going to pot! We are going away to Turkey in September when Louie will be 8 months old but again that is for a wedding and I probably would want to wait just a bit longer if I wasn't bridesmaid and it wasn't completely necessary that I go! xxx

:rofl: Thanks for being so honest ladies, I think we will wait until next year then as you're right it probably wouldn't be much of a holiday and will be going with the in-laws next year so we will have lots of help.xxx

Hi,

We took our baby on holiday to Spain (only 2 hour flight) at 5 months. It was fine. Yes, we did have to pack a lot of stuff - one suitcase just for him and one between the two of us. We took our buggy, travel cot, nappies, milk etc etc. I did not breast feed - not sure if that made it easier.

We put our baby in the same routine on holiday as he is at home - he took a nap after every 2/3 hours and was put to bed at his normal time after his daily bath. We loved being away from home and we were able to take the baby out a lot. You just have to be realistic on what you can do on holiday, with a small baby. We never went out at night, because we thought it would disrupt his sleeping pattern. But 2 nights before we were due to come back, we chanced it and took his sleep suit and blanket with us. He slept fine in the pram - we were gutted we didn't try i before!!

But i know what the ladies are saying on the forum here - before you have the baby you think you can do a lot and when the LO arrives, its a total shock. Your day just goes so quickly and the first three months or so, i guess you and your baby are getting used to each other.

But going on holiday is do-able! Just plan it well and be very patient and calm!

Complete opposite here, I took moo away when she was 8 weeks and then again at 16 weeks, was so easy! She slept throughout plane journey and we had a lovely time! We did a 4 hour flight and a 6 hour flight.

Personally - yes I would.

I am a big fan of holidays and I won't let having a baby stop that, I believe before they can crawl is way easier than them wanting to be off crawling on the plane. It will be stressful and take a fair bit of planning but you'll have wonderful family time out there.

I don't even take Thomas to the supermarket, and he's a textbook easy baby haha!

No way he would ever sleep on a plane with people talking and strangers wanting to coo over him and all that. By the time a 3 hour flight would be over, he'd be a total mess and would be screaming.

Though I would just wait and see the personality of your baby before ruling it out.

We took our daughter (& 2 year old) to Turkey when she was 3 months - 4 hour flight. We had a great time and it was no stress at all. In fact it's easier before they're weaned as you don't need to worry about sterilising (that's if you're breastfeeding though). She was great on the flight, fed and slept and it wasn't too hot as we went in October so we didn't need to worry much about the heat.

Took lots of Factor 50, sunhats and sun shades, plus a buggy bag which we filled with nappies so it could go in the hold. I do think it is a big decision to make in advance though, especially if it's your 1st baby.

Personally I wouldn't, not a chance. Some days can be a nightmare even being at home!!! lol We are planning to go at the end of the summer but I think LO would be ok now to go at almost 8 months. I wouldn't have taken him before now.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy x

We took Stephen to Tenerife when he was about 4 months old... his suitcase was about 10x heavier than all the others but they weren't bothered about that, he was fine on the plane - we had some old couple go 'oh god we're in front of a baby!' and then when we got off they actually stopped us and said that it was such a pleasure to travel with him etc - but just make sure if you're not BF that you have enough FF... and I heard that you can order FFs from Boots past security! You can usually take your pram through to boarding.

I'd also advise feeding LO when taking off and landing because of their ears! But all in all Stephen loved being away, he got to sit around in his nappy for most of it so he was more than happy! :)

We've got a week in Cornwall booked for Sept so LO will be 4 months old. I wouldn't go abroad though :)

We took Amy at 4 months and i would do it again, much easier at this age as they arnt walking or crawling, you can keep them in the shade, smothered in suncream and a hat, and they wont pull it off.
The flight was fine she slept all the way there and back, on the beach we took a little UV pop up tent that folded down to nothing. It really isnt that hard :wacko:

I would! In fact I think it would have been easier then than it is now! She just slept all day and I didn't have to worry about sorting out any food other than milk. Also your LO prob wouldn't be in any kind of set routine by then so you won't have to worry about disrupting her. You just obviously won't be able to spend too much time sunbathing :)

I got back from Madrid yesterday with my 3 month old son and 5 yo daughter! We had a wonderful time and D was soo good on the plane. He was awake the whole time on the way there, laying on the fold out trays (with a blanket under him and me holding one) listening and sucking his thumb. He slept the whole way back as it was a real early flight. Maybe early morning or a late night flight would work for you too?!

It was really easy for me as my parents live in Spain so we really only needed his milk and clothes as they borrowed the carseat, pushchair and cot. I know some places you can hire the car seat with a car.... and I wear him alot so that helped with the hands for passports etc, Gatwick just checked him while he was in the sling and I had to taste the milk (urgh!) but you can take whatever amount of milk you need as long as it is the bottles. (I took 2 in a cooler bag with ice blocks if you are planning to ff). Madrid security was funny too, They made me take him off then the woman walked off with him and passed him to a lady who was scanning the bags, he was more than happy there watching eveything while I was checked and I had to ask for him back as she was quite happy (and him too) lol!

He slept no problem away and was more than happy with all the fuss although I think he is now confused as to what language he speaks lol! We had Spanish, Portugese, Welsh and English all in one day! I think its better to get them used to it while they are young as when they start getting bigger it can be a real pain! My DD didn't go on a flight until she was 4 as she wouldn't have sat anywhere that long and used to run off given half the chance!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and birth x

unless your going to visit family i wouldnt take a 3 month old on holiday. they are far far too young to understand what the purpose of a holiday is, too young to play int he sand, or have fun, and your going to be tired and looking after LO so your not going to have much of a holiday and will just waste the money going and doing exactly what your doing at home.

i went to the UK from the USA when my LO was 3 months old for my brothers wedding, it was hard work and i didnt really get to enjoy myself because my LO was far too young as well as going through a growth spurt and waking multiple times through the night.

even now at 8months id not really want to go on holiday anywhere, id probably wait till hes a year before i go anywhere, infact he'll be 13 months and we're planning a camping trip but event hat is int he same state so if it comes to it we can just drive home. when hes 18 months we might go back to the UK to see my family again, for christmas. he'll be old enough to understand then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->