Going to the doctors

See its not just me being a weirdo!! i made an appointment to see somebody about our plan to start trying to conceive and was made to feel like an idiot :growlmad:. they were basically like 'what are you doing here'. it was the nurse, so dont know if doc would have been better but in my prev experiences the nurses were usually nicer than the docs!! i came out really annoyed and quite upset because like all you ladies i thought i was doing the right thing. especially as i had a lot of issues with my low blood cell count a few years ago and i have a retroverted uterus. but they were rubbish and made me feel like i was wasting their time saying 'why did you think you should come' and i should just go have sex if i want a baby. silly me thinking i should clarify and prepare first :dohh:! hope you have a much more pleasant experience!! xx
ps. sorry for the rant!!

My doctor's were the same, EmilyCJ... fortunately, I didn't make a special trip or anything - I had to go and see them about a bad cough I've had for a while - but I told him about our plans to TTC in February, and asked if I should have a pre-conception appointment. He looked at me like I was nuts... I was kind of expecting that so I told him that I was only asking because that's what all the pre-conception books advise. He said: "Oh, they're mostly American imports... in America you pay for every appointment so of course they want you to have as many as possible, but it's different here." I suppose there's something in that, but still - it's not nice to be made to feel like a gullible idiot for just wanting the best for your future child!

I don't really have any 'reasons' for seeing the doctor - no genetic issues, weight problems, period problems or the like - so I was just double-checking, but if you have fertility concerns, you need to be taken seriously! Grrrr...

hiya ladies, i cant believe you are having so many doctors telling you that you shouldnt see them before TTC :S they are the ones behind, not you and if they say anything to those ladies about to go say your midwife friend told you to ;)

I went for one recently and my doctor looked at me blankly like 'but what is your actual issue you've come to see me about'? I felt a bit foolish and just said is there anything I need to know or that you want to check and he just said take folic acid and good luck! then I raised the issue of my anti-depressants and he said 'oh yeah, come off those now' but with no reduction plan (!) and then I asked about my recurrent thrush problem because I've heard you can't take the usual medications when pregnant, and he agreed I should sort it out if I can and to go to a GMU clinic. So, a waste of time perhaps, but at least I know I was trying to be responsible!

I know thinking about it as well, my mum was diagnosed with diabetes earlier in the year and I possibly could be as we are both overweight. I think it is disgusting that doctors are treating us this way.

I went to my doctors a few years ago with really bad food poisoning and he asked me how I knew what it was and I told him that I'd had it before!!! He didn't believe me. So that is why I would rather see a nurse than the doctor. They are on half day today so will call them tomorrow to arrange an appointment.

I'm glad you posted this thread since I'll be seeing my doctor next summer about TTC if everything goes right so it was something I was curious about as well.

But you mentioned not liking your doctor. I would suggest changing doctors so you have one you feel comfortable with if that's possible.

I'm glad you posted this thread since I'll be seeing my doctor next summer about TTC if everything goes right so it was something I was curious about as well.

But you mentioned not liking your doctor. I would suggest changing doctors so you have one you feel comfortable with if that's possible.

yeah i agree, once you are pregnant you will find you might need to go for little things such as thrush, anitbiotics for UTIs etc and then once you have a baby you end up going all the time :dohh:

I have been meaning to change as it is the same docs I have been going to all my life but as I've only ever needed him for bc I've not bothered.

Will def consider that before making my appointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->