gone off the boob? please help!

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Brockie, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Brockie

Brockie Well-Known Member

hi ladies

well im having a bloody nightmare at the moment with Fred!

he has always fed really well and is a little chunk so the boob has suited him well. this last few days he will feed for a few minutes then pulls off and goes rigid, he just wont go back on, im getting so stressed about it which i know isn't good for him.

for about 2 months he has had a bottle at bedtime, EBM at first then introduced formula about 3 weeks ago and its never been a problem. last week i started adding a formula feed at lunch too which he took.

my OH is in hospital at the moment and i wonder wether all the goings on of the last week have just unsettled him?

he woke in night last night which he hasn't done for about a month, i fed him and he fed well. but this morning we are back to on and off! he's not crying so maybe just not that hungry at the moment?

any advice ladies im going mad here! xxx

2. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

If he's getting 2 bottles maybe he's hoping he can make it 3! Obviously its a much easier deal in a bottle so he could be playing you a bit??

x

3. Brockie

could be, will see how we go today, i stripped us both off and had some skin time and he fed a bit more, feel like i have a newborn again! just when you think you have them sussed they catch you out again, really don't want him to stop feeding yet though xx:hissy:

4. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

I agree, bottles are so much easier forthem. Stand your ground x

5. Mervs Mum

He's a clever monkey!! If the 2 bottles suit you then stick to them hun - it might be a battle of wits so try to remember he's a bloke and ultimately he should do as he's told...:rofl: x

6. Brockie

thanks girls i feel better for your advice! think im feeling a bit low with OH not being here and Fred not feeding just pushed me over xxx will see how we get on today! xx:hugs:

7. 1st_baby

1st_baby Guest

good luck hun and like toria said be strong :)

8. Wombat

Wombat Married mum of 2:)

Have you tried to breastfeed in the bath? When I was breastfeeding Daniel, few times he went off the boob completely (I was giving him a bottle too) so I was told to try and reintroduce the boob in the bath. Worked the first time! And it is such a lovely feeling of closeness too. :hug:

9. Brockie

thanks again all of you, today i have really persevered and spent lots of time feeding him even if he didnt seem hungry! he seemed to be back in the swing of it by tea time so fingers crossed its just a phase xxx he has changed sooo much this last few weeks, he seems to have grown up and is into everything my newborn baby has gone ;( xxxx

10. Mervs Mum

Good girl!! Well done hun and well done Fred too xx