Gonna be a useless parent :(

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by xxsteffyxx, Nov 14, 2011.

1. xxsteffyxx

xxsteffyxx Single Momma

The cat I got for my OH ran off yesturday and still hasn't returned...

How am I going to be a good parent if I can't even look after a cat.

Havn't stopped crying.

2. Belle25

Belle25 Guest

:hugs:

You won't be a useless parent, the cat will likely turn up too, so don't worry.
    :flower:
    xx

3. Sketcher

Sketcher Well-Known Member

Cats are really independent and often wonder off for a days at a time and then return.
    It does not remotely mean you will be a bad parent! For one thing, your baby won't be wondering off for days till its at least 16 if ever!
    Babies really need you and depend on you, to be honest cats don't really need you much at all, so no comparison!
    Don't worry, cat will probably waltz in like it never left.

4. elfy_p

elfy_p Mum of 3

Awww hun you will be a great mum!
    Cats are awkward little sods (I've got 3) and its not unusual for them to wander off for days on end. Specially if the cat hasn't been with you long, it's probably still getting used to its new home. I'm sure it'll turn up!
    Remember you've grown your baby for all these months, he/she knows your voice and will need you so much more than anyone else. Also newborn babies can't wander off like a cat can! It's so different to looking after a pet so try not to worry yourself about it :flower:
    If you're feeling anything like me atm, it's probably just those hormones mixed with feeling worn out and fed up.
    Hope this helps a bit xxx

5. Dannieo

Dannieo Well-Known Member

You poor thing, of course you're going to be a good mum. Like the other ladies have said, they're swines for doing what they want to do, when they want to do it.

Someone once said to me cats were once worshipped as Gods, and they've never forgot it!!! :haha:

My mum has 5, one is so clingy he has to go to the toilet with her and another comes home, has a fuss and a nap, eats some food then goes off again for up to three days, we only ever really see him when it's bad weather.

Your puss will walk back in and act like it's done nothing wrong, expect dinner and offer no explaination as to where it's been! Maybe it's preparing you for when your LO is 18!!!

Don't worry, you never own a cat, they own you! xxx :hugs:

6. xxsteffyxx

xxsteffyxx Single Momma

still concerned as cat still hasn't returned... I don't know but I have a sinking feeling she wont come back... gutted :(

7. Sweedot

Sweedot Esmé and Teddy's mom

awww, hugs hun, you will be fine when the time comes...

on a side note, I kind of wish my cat would run off, lol, he is a pain in the butt...I am always shouting at him lately, he just loves anything to do with the baby and wants to sit on it, in it or sleep in it! it's driving me nuts, Ive had to throw him out of the bassinet twice, even though its covered! he still manages to get in it somehow, and that means washing and disinfecting things!!! which is really annoying!

I caught him snoozing on her diapers, he had managed to crawl in to one of the baskets in our changing caddy and was sleeping on hr diapers...he makes me so mad, Ive already threatened DH that Im about ready to put him up for adoption!

8. Kirei

Kirei Well-Known Member

You'll be a great parent, cats are so independent, and it's no reflection on you. Is this the first time the cat has been outside? Is he/she normally an indoor cat? My friend lost her cat for 5 days, then he came back on his own and acted like nothing had happened! They're very clever at finding their way home. Have you thought about putting notices up if the cat doesn't return soon? Maybe in this weather you could ask local people to check their garages and sheds and keep an eye out. I hope kitty comes home soon x

9. xxsteffyxx

xxsteffyxx Single Momma

No cat has been out loads of times, there is no reason for her to have run off. She always has access to indoor and outdoor through windows... so still can't work it out

10. nicolefx

nicolefx Well-Known Member

My cat does this all the time - last time it was about 9 days and we were panicking .. then he turned up like nothing had happened :dohh:. Had some dinner, went to sleep then went back out! Cats are very independent :flower:. x

11. MommyMoore503

MommyMoore503 Mommy of 2 girls

Maybe your cat fell in love and went off to go make babies of it's own?? See, you inspired him!! That's a good thing!

12. sparkle83

sparkle83 XLTTC: 10 yrs & counting!

one of mine went missing for 3 wks, we very nearly got a new kitten as we'd given up hope. He came back fine, turns out he'd been fed by a neighbour and decided to sleep outside as it was summer.

another (she was about 10 at the time) went missing for a fortnight. we assumed that at her age, she'd gone off to find somewhere quiet to pass away. Turns out she'd gone across the road and into the next cul de sac and gotten lost! We happened to be driving past one day and saw her wandering along the path way looking around. She was fine, not even any skinnier.

The cat will come back, and even perfect parents have no control of the weirdness of cats, so dont worry.

13. JohnsPrincess

JohnsPrincess Well-Known Member

Lol, awe hon, you can't compare owning a cat to being a parent. I have a 3 year old cat. Her greatest want in life is to get outside. I won't allow it because A-I don't keep a collar on her because it wear wearing on her skin and B-she's totally declawed (front and back) because her favorite place to be in on me...and she'll jump from anywhere to get there. She gets by me into the garage ALL THE TIME and thankfully every time the big door was closed. She's even snuck outside a couple times...and I didn't notice!!! She's very sneaky! But both times she came back. Cats...are cats. They aren't at all like kids!!! Don't worry!

14. xxsteffyxx

xxsteffyxx Single Momma

Snipped - wouldn't even let her think about being a promiscuous puddy cat.

I do hope she still turns up. I keep her food outside so she doesn't get hungry, I do hope she comes back soon xx

15. babyhopes2010

babyhopes2010 one boy one girl.perfect!

u cant compare a baby with a cat :hugs:

u cant control or keep an eye on those furry idependant creatures :haha:
    ull be a fab mum x

16. MyTurnYet

MyTurnYet Surprise - pg with #2!

Awww, that's so sad. :cry: But don't worry, it doesn't affect your parenting at all!!! I hope he comes home soon.