Good/bad experiences with UTI in early pregnancy?

Mamamumum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just wanting anyones experiences past or present with having a UTI during early pregnancy? My story is that I wasn't really having any pregnancy symptoms, and because of previous experience I've been worried about a missed miscarriage this whole time. Well about 2 weeks ago I did suddenly get a bunch of symptoms like bloating, exhaustion, generally feeling pretty unwell, back pain etc. I don't know exactly how long it went on before I realised my pee was a bit darker than usual despite drinking more water than I would usually. So I took myself off to the Docs and sure enough I had a UTI albeit none of the usual symptoms. So he gave me a 3 day course of strong antibiotics (500mg Amoxil). Now, I know nobody can tell me, but obviously I know that a UTI gone untreated can cause a miscarriage so I'm worried I didn't catch it early enough. And I'm also worried because since taking the antibiotics most of my symptoms have disappeared, making me think they were only UTI symptoms I've been having and not pregnancy related? I'm back off to the Docs today to get my pee checked just to make sure the infection has cleared up but I know they won't be interested in hearing my worrying as my surgery is ridiculously overstretched at the minute :/ just wondering if anyone has any experience (good or bad)?

Hi lovely, I have interstitial cystitis so have infections a lot and I had a ton in my last pregnancy which was fine. Theres really not a lot you can do now, you caught it as soon as you could so you did everything right. How far along are you? It should all be fine, just check the infection is gone and Im sure that will put your mind at ease x

I suffered quite a lot with UTIs in my first place pregnancy. Actually ended up in hospital with severe pain due to one when I was 20 weeks and given antibiotics. I also seen on my notes that I had one when I went into labour a few weeks early. As soon as I felt I was getting one I would drink plenty of cranberry juice and it did really help ease them and help them go away. As soon as I felt stinging when I peed mixed with blood I'd drink a whole cartoon of the cranberry juice and it would fade by the end of the day.

With my first pregnancy I had utis from 6 weeks all the way to the end.every other week I had them.it was very uncomfortable especially with a baby dancing on your bladder but the Dr wasn't concerned and my daughter was perfectly healthy. Have you tried drinking pure cranberry juice daily.worth a try x

Missed miscarriage is generally caused by genetic issues (a cell just replicates wrong or a pre-existing genetic abnormality). You can have a miscarriage or preterm labour due to a UTI, but you'd know it by now. It can't just cause baby to stop developing, so I would try not to worry. If all otherwise seems well, I would assume it is. If you are worried, I would get a private scan. I had one with my last pregnancy (which did show a mmc) and am having one again this time. More than likely everything is fine, but I think it's worth it for peace of mind.

Thank you all for your replies. I had my Docs appointment yesterday and while I was there they asked all sorts of things because my wee is now showing up clear on the dip test but is very cloudy and I've still been having some unexplained pain in my back and pelvis. She seemed concerned about an ectopic to begin with but couldn't feel anything untoward. She asked what my last period had been like and I said I remembered it had lasted for 2 weeks which has never happened to me before and she thinks there may be a possibility that I was actually already expecting at the time. I have my first MW appt on Tuesday and the Doc said she may want to send me for a dating scan. X

I had a pretty horrible UTI around 6 weeks with my last pregnancy. I course of nitro did the trick. I thought I felt one coming on last week so I upped my fluids big time and seemed to keep it at bay.

I'm glad you're healthy again! I have bad at least two UTIs with all of my pregnancies. Awful. The symptoms are horrendous. I've also had two pregnancies with little to nothing in the way of symptoms. Both of those are toddlers now. Just keep up with the extra water!

With this pregnancy, I had a normal period after a 28 day cycle, and two weeks later, I found out that it wasn't a period after all and that I am PREGNANT! I'm now over 36 weeks along. So yeah, it could be that you were already expecting when you had your strange period. That one really messed with me. Lol. But all is well! And I hope everything is beautiful with your pregnancy, too!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->