Good excuses to friends why you can't drink?

heaveneats

Emma's Mommy
Reaction score
I have a wedding coming up where i am a bridesmaid for one of my very good friends. She is already talking about drinking and partying together on the day of which of course i get because its her day! But since i just found out i'm pregnant i obviously can't partake in the fun haha. I will be 7 weeks so i'm just hoping the sickness doesn't happen to make it obvious.

Any ideas on what excuse to give?

Say your on strong antibiotics for an ear infection or something or a uti as that'll explain any discomfort or bloating ;) x

You could hold a glass and put it to your mouth pretending to take a sip and pour a bit out every now and then when you go to the loo :). That's what I did for hours at a work function and nobody noticed a thing. They will all he drunk after a couple and won't be very observant.

Alternatively you could say you are on antibiotics for a tooth infection :)

I drank appletizer out of a wine glass at a wedding I went to. Otherwise antibiotics is a good one.

I was going to suggest antibiotics too. Its well known that you can't drink while on them.

If you're going out to a bar: get the bartender to be in on it with you. Tip him/her very well at the beginning of the night and tell them you are pregnant but can't tell anyone yet. Tell them to make a mocktail for you for the whole night.

If you're drinking at home: get a bottle of beer where the bottle isn't clear! (tinted is fine, like a heineken). Dump the beer and keep refilling with water!

Good luck!!!

I personally would confide in your friend and then let her support you in finding creative ways to not drink. Like say you'll be in charge of keeping the other bridesmaids drinks full and making drinks (which means you can make your own and keep it non-alcoholic). Or I would just be really open and say you are trying to conceive and you might be pregnant and you aren't sure yet, but you've been advised to not drink until you know. Otherwise, sneaking around and getting drinks when no one's looking can mean you look like you have a drink in your hand, but it's alcohol-free. As you're likely to face pressure from lots of people in the wedding party to have a drink, I personally would stick to the story that you might be pregnant and aren't sure so you're being extra cautious until you know.

I personally would confide in your friend and then let her support you in finding creative ways to not drink. Like say you'll be in charge of keeping the other bridesmaids drinks full and making drinks (which means you can make your own and keep it non-alcoholic). Or I would just be really open and say you are trying to conceive and you might be pregnant and you aren't sure yet, but you've been advised to not drink until you know. Otherwise, sneaking around and getting drinks when no one's looking can mean you look like you have a drink in your hand, but it's alcohol-free. As you're likely to face pressure from lots of people in the wedding party to have a drink, I personally would stick to the story that you might be pregnant and aren't sure so you're being extra cautious until you know.

i just worry she may accidentally say something - she isn't the best at keeping secrets :(

You could say you have got a bad hangover :). Naughty but might work. Pull a face when people suggest alcohol :)

Appletize looks very like champagne , get the bartender in on the secret , the other one Is make up a reason that you may need to drive somewhere at some point. Don't have pre drinks and say you don't want to get tipsy before the big occasion :hugs:

I would recommend not using the antibiotics excuse, it's become the equivalent of an "I walked into a door" level excuse haha. The only time in my pregnancy I've had to be in a situation where I'd normally drink but people didn't know I was pregnant, I just kept pretending to take sips and my husband drank my first drink for me, then the second one I just kind of subtly pushed it away from myself bit by bit until it was just another glass on the table. You'd be surprised how little people notice - when the meal/event has finished, ask yourself how many drinks other people round the table had. You'll realise you have no idea, no ones really watching! But as soon as you say "I'm on antibiotics so I can't", you'll get people suspecting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->