Good health insurance plan in the US?

We had one company keep ringing us over and over even though we said we didn't want the insurance, they said they'd taken us off of their calling list but they rang again, 4 times! Put the phone down on us multiple times... =/ So I'm a bit worried about providing our contact information, as all of the comparison sites I've checked out ask for address/telephone number etc.

Somebody in TX said they only paid $500 out of pocket in total...that'd be fine with us!!! We just don't want to be paying several thousand if we don't need to!!

I agree about NOT giving out any of your contact info... no emails, phone numbers, or addresses. They might sell your info to other people and it is a nasty cycle.

Where I live there is a local company that provides you with all the info that you need. Just schedule an appt with them (BW Insurance), tell them what kind of coverage you are looking for and they will do all the research. They answer all your questions and you dont have to do tons of research.

It's unfortunate that for anyone not working that health care is so damned expensive here.

I can't express how lucky I am that my DH's work offers several different very good health plans. The one we're on now only requires a $20 copay for my initial maternity visit, and is free for all maternal care after that until I give birth. I don't have to pay for ultrasounds and what not, and when I give birth the hospital copay is only $250.

I'm really sorry for any of you ladies who are having a rough time of it financially. :( There are too many people caught between being eligible for state funded care and who make enough to actually afford proper health care.

It's unfortunate that for anyone not working that health care is so damned expensive here.

I can't express how lucky I am that my DH's work offers several different very good health plans. The one we're on now only requires a $20 copay for my initial maternity visit, and is free for all maternal care after that until I give birth. I don't have to pay for ultrasounds and what not, and when I give birth the hospital copay is only $250.

I'm really sorry for any of you ladies who are having a rough time of it financially. :( There are too many people caught between being eligible for state funded care and who make enough to actually afford proper health care.

That 20/250 co pay is the same as mine, then after she's born and they've filed, we pay 10% of the total bill. Our insurance guy said its a really good plan for how things are at the moment. I hope we get to keep this one when we renew in December.

I've started putting weekly payments towards the 10% we will owe the OB (which will be about 250) so we aint got to find that lump sum when she's born.

Let me ask this and see if anyone knows, Our insurance deductible resets at the start of December. Now, if the hospital are a bit slow in filing and send it in after this date, will it go on the previous deductible that we've met, or will it go on to the new policy?
I'm almost certain it's filed by date and therefore would be included in part of this years deductible, I can't see them charging us for it on a new policy...

Ah the joys of learning a new countries polices haha

That 20/250 co pay is the same as mine, then after she's born and they've filed, we pay 10% of the total bill. Our insurance guy said its a really good plan for how things are at the moment. I hope we get to keep this one when we renew in December.

I've started putting weekly payments towards the 10% we will owe the OB (which will be about 250) so we aint got to find that lump sum when she's born.

Let me ask this and see if anyone knows, Our insurance deductible resets at the start of December. Now, if the hospital are a bit slow in filing and send it in after this date, will it go on the previous deductible that we've met, or will it go on to the new policy?
I'm almost certain it's filed by date and therefore would be included in part of this years deductible, I can't see them charging us for it on a new policy...

Ah the joys of learning a new countries polices haha

The hospital will file the insurance claim for the date of service. IF your insurance starts over in December and you have you baby before then you are okay. If you have your baby on September 23rd (for instance) the hospital/doctor will file for the date of September 23rd. They may not submit the claim for a couple of days but they HAVE to use the exact date of service or it is insurance fraud and the hospital/doctor will get into trouble.

I bet you wont have any problems. That is how they make their money, so for them to not to file a claim is $$ out of their pocket.

I have to make sure I stay on this plan when it comes time to renew next year because I don't want to have to worry about my current maternity provider not being on the new plan, plus this one pays 100% of maternity. No copay, no hospital cost, nothing out of my pocket.

I have insurance through my husbands employer. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. The company he works for is based there so that is where our insurance is from. Anyways, I paid a $15 copay at my first prenatal visit and then 20% of my OB/GYN's bill. My OB has been paid. The only thing we will have to pay is 20% of the hospital and everything else they want to charge us for. I know my insurance only pays 80% of everything, but it is better than nothing. One good thing about the 20% we have to pay, it can be paid out in payments. So, i'm not too worried. BCBS is a very good insurance agency. They have many plans to choose from.

I have insurance through my husbands employer. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. The company he works for is based there so that is where our insurance is from. Anyways, I paid a $15 copay at my first prenatal visit and then 20% of my OB/GYN's bill. My OB has been paid. The only thing we will have to pay is 20% of the hospital and everything else they want to charge us for. I know my insurance only pays 80% of everything, but it is better than nothing. One good thing about the 20% we have to pay, it can be paid out in payments. So, i'm not too worried. BCBS is a very good insurance agency. They have many plans to choose from.

I LOVE BCBS. I have been on my moms policy when I was younger, my own, and now my husbands... I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Our deductable is 500 per year but my husbands company is smaller. The larger the group you are on the less your deductable is. My moms coverage is with a HUGE company and they have outstanding coverage through BCBS.

The person we spoke to who said Maternity Coverage is a waste of time said that we could get some kind of coverage if we set up our own business...which is what I'm trying to do... It has to be co-owned by me and hubby, which is no big deal... I want a home birth and as far as I've read there are a lot of insurance companies who still haven't seen the benefits of insuring homebirths... Just as far as I've read, if anyone can suggest anything, feel free. If all goes to plan, that would just be the one of payment for birthing pool and payment for midwife/wives...etc. Avoiding major hospital fees - if all goes to plan.

We're basically looking for coverage for the Drs visits, prenatal care etc... All the little things. If we can find something that covers the delivery - midwife costs, anything like that..then it's a bonus! Of course, it's the fact that I still can't get insurance until I have my SS number, or have been here for a year (DH recited what the guy read out to him and it actually sounds like I have to be here for a year....but travel insurance should cover it!) :wacko:

SOOO, anyone know if travel insurance will cover the prenatal care etc? All the Drs visits and stuff.. Obviously I highly doubt it'll cover the birth or anything like that, but if we could at least get SOMETHING that'll pay for a portion of anything related to pregnancy/baby care etc, it'd be worth looking into.

The person we spoke to who said Maternity Coverage is a waste of time said that we could get some kind of coverage if we set up our own business...which is what I'm trying to do... It has to be co-owned by me and hubby, which is no big deal... I want a home birth and as far as I've read there are a lot of insurance companies who still haven't seen the benefits of insuring homebirths... Just as far as I've read, if anyone can suggest anything, feel free. If all goes to plan, that would just be the one of payment for birthing pool and payment for midwife/wives...etc. Avoiding major hospital fees - if all goes to plan.

We're basically looking for coverage for the Drs visits, prenatal care etc... All the little things. If we can find something that covers the delivery - midwife costs, anything like that..then it's a bonus! Of course, it's the fact that I still can't get insurance until I have my SS number, or have been here for a year (DH recited what the guy read out to him and it actually sounds like I have to be here for a year....but travel insurance should cover it!) :wacko:

SOOO, anyone know if travel insurance will cover the prenatal care etc? All the Drs visits and stuff.. Obviously I highly doubt it'll cover the birth or anything like that, but if we could at least get SOMETHING that'll pay for a portion of anything related to pregnancy/baby care etc, it'd be worth looking into.

In a word, no. Travel insurance is based on you visiting a country and leaving and is there to cover accidents, sudden illness etc, Not on you going there to live and getting pregnant. If you were pregnant at the time of travel that would have been taken in account with the price at the time of purchase and would cover emergencies with the pregnancy, not normal pre natal care.

There's no short cut around this, I think you're just going to have to be patient and wait to see if your visa is approved so you can get a job/insurance, or do your business thing.

Either that, or get pregnant now and pay it all out of pocket.

I want to say about home birth, it's cool to want one, but you need to prepare that you will have to go in to hospital and make sure you have money for that as you never know what is going to happen. (Emergencies etc)

This is why you guys need to support Obama to bring free healthcare...

In a word, no. Travel insurance is based on you visiting a country and leaving and is there to cover accidents, sudden illness etc, Not on you going there to live and getting pregnant. If you were pregnant at the time of travel that would have been taken in account with the price at the time of purchase and would cover emergencies with the pregnancy, not normal pre natal care.

There's no short cut around this, I think you're just going to have to be patient and wait to see if your visa is approved so you can get a job/insurance, or do your business thing.

Either that, or get pregnant now and pay it all out of pocket.

I want to say about home birth, it's cool to want one, but you need to prepare that you will have to go in to hospital and make sure you have money for that as you never know what is going to happen. (Emergencies etc)

I agree.

I know that midwives are becoming more popular in the US. I would check out OK rules and regulations on Midwives. In Wyoming they are only allowed to practice under a liscenced physician. And our state does not recognize "home births" and everything has to be done in a hospital. It all comes down to our states mal-practice laws. I live in a pretty "red-neck" state but just get as much info before hand. Not every state is the same so check on OK's rules and regulations.

Didn't think the travel insurance would do much...don't know if it was DH's idea or if the guy suggested looking into it...I've never really paid much attention to travel insurance, just got the cheapest that looks like it'll cover enough stuff.... =/

I know, I've considered that we might end up having to go into hospital, or I might change my mind as we get further into the pregnancy and decide I'd prefer hospital or birthing centre... It's a pain in the ass though. These sorts of times I wish we could just move to the UK! Only then we wouldn't have jobs or a house.... :p :dohh: Oh for the ease of the NHS though, walk in and just take it for granted you'll be seen and not have to worry about a huge bill!!!

We'll see how it goes.. thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"