Goodbye swaddle

sublime_ivy

Reaction score
And goodbye sleep. Tonight dex rolled over whilst swaddled so we have to stop now. Dunno what we are gonna do as he still has his startle reflex and only sleeps about 20 mins at a time unswaddled if we are lucky. :cry:

:hugs: Hope tonight goes better than you thought it would!!

I hear you completely!! Juliette is almost 11 weeks old and our pediatrician has told us to stop swaddling her. Especially since she rolls to her side and breaks out of it. She's very strong, but her startle reflex is still very strong, like your LO's/ Without being swaddled she wakes within 10-15 min. after hitting herself in the face.

How's you LO doing? Hope you're getting some sleep. :hugs:

oh man i am not looking forward to that! Hopefully thomas is lazy and wont roll over til he's like 15 or something lol Good luck hun, hope you can work something out!

It is 7am here, I stopped swaddling at 5am when he rolled over, he is tired and grouchy just like me. I dunno how I will survive or him for that matter. It's funny everyone wishes their baby to roll over quickly but I've been doing the opposite.

Oh no im dreading this too hun, let me know how it goes and if your get him to sleep pass the tips onto me, im still swaddling but Olivia isnt rollling yet, shes gona be there pretty soon though!

Good luck,wish I had some advice but I don't! x

not sure if this is any help - but this is what we do at the moment -

Swaddle - put down awake in cot - when i go to bed and give him a feed around 10:30ish, i swap the swaddle for a sleeping bag - if he is asleep/drowsy at the time he has no problem sleeping till 5/6ish ( he does toss and turn, and lift his feet up and bang on mattress, but all with eyes closed!)

Is there any way that you can swaddle to get to sleep - then say half our later put in a sleeping bag? - I am not sure if what Reuben has is part of the startle reflex, or something different, but the reason we still need to swaddle is cos he 'boxes' with his fists, and it stops him from sleeping. The above might not work if your LO wakes at small noises, but may be worth a try?

good advice thanks, we have no problem getting him to sleep though (we swaddle him after he sleeps) it is keeping him asleep as he hits himself in the face. I'm not sure if it is noises that do it.

my OH got him to nap for 45 mins today so we shall see, i am dreading tonight.

Oh no im dreading this too hun, let me know how it goes and if your get him to sleep pass the tips onto me, im still swaddling but Olivia isnt rollling yet, shes gona be there pretty soon though!

yeah she may well be your LO and mine have the same birthday.

Ok well nothing worked so I had to swaddle again (I am going to keep a close eye on all night), he had not slept all day and he was grumpy. I have ordered a sleep positioner so that he wont roll over. Hopefully I can keep doing it until he stops hitting himself. I am also going to buy an angelcare monitor.

Do you know at what age they stop hitting themselves with their hands?

Thanks!

I better hope LO rolls late at 6 months, and stops with the reflex early at 4 months!

hehe, that was my wish. You have the choice of a positioner at least if he does roll.

Aw well at least you have found a way for the moment!!

Yeah, I just hope in the next two days he doesnt roll to much. I am giving up the swaddle for naps.

i stopped swaddling LO when he was 2 weeks old bcoz it was really warm and i didn't want him to over heat...since then he began to sleep through his startling so i no longer bother with swaddling- i just pull the cover up to chest height and tuck it under his arms. He does sometimes knock his dummy out when he's drifting off which wakes him up but thats abt it- he still moves around and waves his arms all over the place in his sleep but it doesn't wake him.
Tis just my opinion but i think babies can learn to sleep through their own movements is u don't do swaddling...bit like how babies learn to sleep through noise if u get them used to it or the movement of a pram/car. Hopefully (if my theory is right) ur Lo's will start getting used to being unswaddled and learn to sleep through the startling.

I think you could be right, it is just so hard to see what he is like with no sleep. I've tried it for a week and it didn't get much better he was just sleep deprived.

Try a wearable blanket. It will make Dex feel snug but he'll have his arms free. I use Halo SleepSacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->