Got My Mat Leave Sorted :)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by zorak, Jun 5, 2013.

1. zorak

zorak Well-Known Member

I am so pleased, I officially agreed my mat leave with my boss today. I am in the US but due to the small size of the office I work in my company does not qualify for FMLA. My boss had said at the very start she'd be happy to give me a total of 12 weeks off using a combination of vacation, state disability and unpaid leave. However, after finding out that California offers 6 weeks disability pay for a vaginal birth and 6 weeks family bonding time (paid like disability) I asked if I could extend my leave a bit.

So my last day of work is the 30th Aug (I'm due Sept 5th) and I don't return until the 9th Dec. So, I'm getting about 14 weeks.:happydance: The other good thing is that since I am going back in the middle of Dec this is our quietest time so I will have plenty of opportunity to work from home or just pop into the office with baby for a couple of hours. So he won't have to really start daycare full time until Jan when he will be about 4 months. :happydance:

I'm so lucky to work for an understanding employer!

2. CastawayBride

CastawayBride Mother of Two

I worked mine out too but I am a State employee so I do get FMLA, I go out last week of August and back Feb. 1st! I cannot wait!!!

3. zorak

zorak Well-Known Member

The other good thing is that I have been able to keep 5 vacation days aside as well as some public holidays. Our vacation year runs April to April so I can take some time off after Christmas too.

4. CastawayBride

CastawayBride Mother of Two

Thats great! I am looking forward to being home for the holidays too....I can't wait! 11 weeks to go! lol

5. cammy

cammy Mummy To Alexander XD

Glad it worked out for you. Must be a huge stress reliever :D