got the implant fitted yesterday

isil

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know some people where also thinking about the implant, so I thought I'd write up what happened when I got it fitted yesterday.

The Nurse called me in and went through what was going to happen and we just generally chatted for a bit as the Dr was running late. The Dr came in and asked how LO was (lol) and asked which arm I wanted it in. I said 'right please'. She got me to make a 'strong man arm' and she drew a little line with a pen (I'm presuming it wasn't ink!) on the inside of my upper arm. If you tense your muscle, it's in the little dip before the rest of your arm. Then I lay on my back on the bed and shuffled over towards the left a bit. They asked me to put my right hand behind my head (so that my elbow was sticking out - like you're relaxing on a hammock if that makes sense!). Then they injected the local anaesthetic. It scratched a bit but it was nothing really. Then she left it for a bit to leave the anaesthetic to work (she and the nurse discussed the beckhams and what they were both going to cook for tea!). Then Dr jabbed me a bit to see if the anaesthetic had worked yet. It hadn't so they had to give me some more lol. So, she gave me some more and went to catch up on some phonecalls. I lay on the bed for 5 mins (enjoying the quiet!) and then she came back and made sure the anaesthetic had worked. After that, she cut me with a little scalpal and then inserted the implant using a big (but not sharp) injectiony type thing. It clicks when it goes in.

I didn't even realise they'd finished and it wasn't uncomfortable or anything. The nurse put 3 steristrips on the incision and then a waterproof dressing and then a wrap bandage, which I've just taken off.

I've got a little bit of bruising and I'm aware that it's a bit uncomfortable but really nothing like I'd expected. I thought it'd be agony!

No bleeding as yet but I think that'll take a while.

I feel a bit sad about having it done as it means no brother or sister for Ally for a while. I'll have just turned 26 when the implant needs taking out - I keep feeling like it'll be too late to have another but it really isn't, is it? Lots of first time Mums are 26 or older....yes?

Thanks for sharing it with us as ive been contemplating having one but was a little unsure of what would happen. Has put my mind at rest xx

You can take the implant out at any time and you can try conceiving again straight away. I was going to have it but it's a waste of time as I don't have sex anymore :( don't see the point in having all the side affects when I don't need too. It sounded like the best option out of all of them. For me anyway, I was hopeless on the pill

Im thinking of geting one of those... did they say you had to wait for AF to come back before you got it put in? Just coz my GP said I did, but midwfie said you dont lol

xxx

Hi All,

I know some people where also thinking about the implant, so I thought I'd write up what happened when I got it fitted yesterday.

The Nurse called me in and went through what was going to happen and we just generally chatted for a bit as the Dr was running late. The Dr came in and asked how LO was (lol) and asked which arm I wanted it in. I said 'right please'. She got me to make a 'strong man arm' and she drew a little line with a pen (I'm presuming it wasn't ink!) on the inside of my upper arm. If you tense your muscle, it's in the little dip before the rest of your arm. Then I lay on my back on the bed and shuffled over towards the left a bit. They asked me to put my right hand behind my head (so that my elbow was sticking out - like you're relaxing on a hammock if that makes sense!). Then they injected the local anaesthetic. It scratched a bit but it was nothing really. Then she left it for a bit to leave the anaesthetic to work (she and the nurse discussed the beckhams and what they were both going to cook for tea!). Then Dr jabbed me a bit to see if the anaesthetic had worked yet. It hadn't so they had to give me some more lol. So, she gave me some more and went to catch up on some phonecalls. I lay on the bed for 5 mins (enjoying the quiet!) and then she came back and made sure the anaesthetic had worked. After that, she cut me with a little scalpal and then inserted the implant using a big (but not sharp) injectiony type thing. It clicks when it goes in.

I didn't even realise they'd finished and it wasn't uncomfortable or anything. The nurse put 3 steristrips on the incision and then a waterproof dressing and then a wrap bandage, which I've just taken off.

I've got a little bit of bruising and I'm aware that it's a bit uncomfortable but really nothing like I'd expected. I thought it'd be agony!

No bleeding as yet but I think that'll take a while.

I feel a bit sad about having it done as it means no brother or sister for Ally for a while. I'll have just turned 26 when the implant needs taking out - I keep feeling like it'll be too late to have another but it really isn't, is it? Lots of first time Mums are 26 or older....yes?

I am in my 30's and all three of my kids were conceived and born in my 30's.

Thanks for sharing! i having this next month. As for 26 being old?!!!! ive just had my first baby 2 weeks ago and im 26 next month, so no it isnt too old!!!!

Ah, thanks girls re the 26/27 for next baby thing! I should probably explain that the reason I'm extra paranoid about it is that I've always been told I'd have mega problems getting pregnant and that I'm practically infertile. Now that I know I'm not (see Alasdair...) I am just worried that in 3 years I will be even less likely to be able to get pregnant.

Linzi - I didn't need to have had an AF... could be waiting a long time for that seeing as I only ever had 3 a yr!

i am a first time mum at 33!!! want to have another one in a couple of years.

Christine
X

thanks i did wonder how they done it ,dont think its for me tho neadles and being awake dont agree with me :rofl: think am going for the coil , my i would off :hissy:

Hee hee, I'll be going back to Switzerland to get the implant if I decide to get one, they don't go cutting you there :sick: But glad it wasn't traumatic for you and isn't too sore.

I'll be 26 on my EDD. I had the same worries as you, I've been ttc for 2 years because I always worried that as I had fertility issues I wanted to try as soon as possible to increase my chances. Plan to wait a couple of years after this one for the next.

Linzi - I didn't need to have had an AF... could be waiting a long time for that seeing as I only ever had 3 a yr!

Yes I used to be the same, usually one every 3 to 4 months, so god knows how long Ill be waiting now. Still think Ill let my body get back to 'normal' before I get it fitted. Thanks for the info though :)

xxx

arrgghh nooo this is the devil me and my friend had it fitted exactly the same time i got severely depressed, and she turned anorexic rly messes ur head up and when i googled implanon rod and depression most ppl had exactly the same thing, i strongly strongly advise ppl to stay away from this. Its good for an easy life in sense of protection and no periods but the psychological and emotional damage is so extreme it rly isn't worth the risk. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->