Got the wobbles, can anyone reassure me/offer advice please?

Greta Chick

Happy mum of 3 :-)
Reaction score
Hi

I'm booked for a homebirth because the birth centre is still closed. All I feel I want to do at the moment is bob about in water, but our bath is tiny and I don't have a birth pool because I was told the birth centre would probably be re-opened by the time I get to my EDD (which is 5 days away). But it's still not open and they've now moved some of their beds to the main maternity unit, so it's not looking like it'll open again at all at this rate :growlmad:

I've been practising my natal hypnotherapy have been really relaxed about having a homebirth, but this last couple of days I've been having wobbles that I won't cope with the pain (I know the midwife will bring Entonox which I'm happy to use and is all I used with both my other children, but with my DD my body shocked my by pushing all of a sudden when I got in the pool at the birth centre and I had no control over it and it made me feel really out of control and I was swearing quite loudly :blush: )

It's too late for me to get a pool now, unless I can find a high sided childrens' pool in a shop I can go in and actually purchase this weekend so it'll be adry land birth for me this time.

I don't know what positions I'll be comfortable in at home, but I don't think that's helped by the fact we're getting a new suite delivered on monday and we're spending this weekend fitting out our DD's new bedroom.

I've seen a huge beanbag chair thing that looks really comfy, but don't know if I could actually deliver on it (with towels and waterproof sheeting on it of course!) because of it being squidgy...........

Can anyone reassure me or offer any advice please? I've got the practical things in place, midwife's homebirth kit, waterproof sheeting and dark towels for me, all baby's things ready etc. But I just feel anxious and worried I won't cope. Hubby's said a few times that he's not 100% about me having a homebirth because it not being a hospital environment and having to wait for the midwives to come to us, will they get there in time etc (he told the midwife that when she came to meet us) and he's also said that he knows how hard it was seeing me last time when my body took over and I had no control.

That's the reason I decided to do the hypnotherapy but I'm wondering if it really will help, if being at home will really help........

I suppose having had 2 children through active natural births with only 10 minutes of Entonox each time I know how painful it can be and although I've been practising and practising my hypnotherapy I've suddenly got the wobbles this last couple of days.

I'm sorry this is so massively long, but if anyone can offer any advice (where to buy a cheap pool quickly??) or give me their experiences or some reassurance I'd be really grateful.

Thanks so much in anticipation:flower:

xx

Didn't want to read and run but I am leaving you with some hugs and some strength! You made it through the first two and your instinct this time was to go natural so try to listen back to what originally made you want to go natural and see if this helps with the wobble feeling. Good luck and congrats!

Pretty natural to have wobbles!
I know that mothercare sell the Birth pool in a box. I have seen it in some stores too.. phone around your local ones, to see if they have one. Or like you said a high-sided paddling pool will do.

I know the chair-type bean-bags you mean - They do look so very comfortable, but personally I'd be concerned that I would end up in a comedy situation where I couldn't get out of it!

Really try and let yourself go when you body take over. Don't fight it, you dont' need any control over it or your conscious mind doing anything. I can imagine that if you do fight it, it could be like going through transistion for a long time (and for me that was by far the worse bit, and made me very panic-y) Let your Hypo-birthing techniques take you through this. Plus, make sure your OH knows some of the techniquies too. He is going to take a much more active role in your HB and it is really easy to breath-hold, and "forget" to breath through. I found my OH simply reminding me to breath with him, invaluable.

The great thing about being at home is you can use your whole house to get comfortable. There are some good positions on the NCT website you might like to look at, or print to remind you of some of them - good to have handy - as it is easy to forget to try something else at times. I liked hanging off the door handle, leaning on the kitchen counter and swaying my hips from side to side, kneeling on the sofa towards the back with lots fo pillows under my bump and a hot waterbottle on my lower back.
Have you also thought about using TENS?

I think that I good thing that I did was to call my MWs early on in labour. Ok maybe the first time I called it was really early! (I didn't realise I was going to be ages yet, being my first) I had 2 assesments before 1 stage labour was established; I was in latent labour for an age! But it helped my MWs co-ordinate who was going to be with me when I needed them. The MW who came to us in establised labour only lived round the corner, and my MW (who I had seen for my anti-natal appointments) was able to come as my second MW for the delivery. All you really need for a homebirth is that community MWs co-ordinators number - they will be happy to come out to check you anytime.. so don't feel as you are an experienced mum, that you have to hold on until you can feel the head coming before calling!
Much love, it is going to be amazing!
XxX

I know of 2 places that hire out the Birth Pool in a Box, try giving them a ring, you never know- they might have one in stock for you!

https://www.mothernurturedoula.co.uk/Birth-Pool---TENS-machine-hire.html (friend of mine)

https://www.waterbabybirthingpoolhire.co.uk/ (where I've hired my pool from)

Hiya,
Have you looked on ebay for the birth pool? There are a couple on there with express delivery (2 days) and you may find one near to you that is pick up? (that's what I did :) )
Keep listening to your hypnobirthing tracks and maybe do the fear release one? I think it's pretty normal to have wobbles.
Keeping everything crossed for you.
Love Ceri xx

Hi. Being in labour at home is SO much more relaxed. You are in your own environment and have much more control and choice. Plus you can eat and drink whatever you like!

My OH made a 'delivery den' on the floor out of sofa cushions and covered it in a shower curtain. Try and get your OH 100% onboard and supportive.

You have done this before, have faith in yourself and your body! :)

And if you can't cope, you can always transfer into hospital. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good luck lovely!

Try looking on ebay but also contact any local home birth groups, quite a few there have pools you can hire!

Good luck!

(Wobbles are normal, go with what you ultimately feel deep down you want to do!)

Didn't want to read and run but I am leaving you with some hugs and some strength! You made it through the first two and your instinct this time was to go natural so try to listen back to what originally made you want to go natural and see if this helps with the wobble feeling. Good luck and congrats!

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your hugs and strength :flower: I'm hoping I'll be "alright on the night" so to speak. When I was in labour with our DD I was coping absolutely fine at home, then we transferred to the birth centre as planned and was ok for the next 10 mins then the pushing started as soon as I got in the pool and that's when it freaked me out as it was so strong and painful and I had no control whatsoever :blush:

Hopefully if I can keep doing my hypnotherapy and staying at home will keep me relaxed like last time.

I've been told by a few people (including a midwife) that third labours can often be troublesome and as hard as the first ones............ :shrug:

xx

Pretty natural to have wobbles!
I know that mothercare sell the Birth pool in a box. I have seen it in some stores too.. phone around your local ones, to see if they have one. Or like you said a high-sided paddling pool will do.

I know the chair-type bean-bags you mean - They do look so very comfortable, but personally I'd be concerned that I would end up in a comedy situation where I couldn't get out of it!

Really try and let yourself go when you body take over. Don't fight it, you dont' need any control over it or your conscious mind doing anything. I can imagine that if you do fight it, it could be like going through transistion for a long time (and for me that was by far the worse bit, and made me very panic-y) Let your Hypo-birthing techniques take you through this. Plus, make sure your OH knows some of the techniquies too. He is going to take a much more active role in your HB and it is really easy to breath-hold, and "forget" to breath through. I found my OH simply reminding me to breath with him, invaluable.

The great thing about being at home is you can use your whole house to get comfortable. There are some good positions on the NCT website you might like to look at, or print to remind you of some of them - good to have handy - as it is easy to forget to try something else at times. I liked hanging off the door handle, leaning on the kitchen counter and swaying my hips from side to side, kneeling on the sofa towards the back with lots fo pillows under my bump and a hot waterbottle on my lower back.
Have you also thought about using TENS?

I think that I good thing that I did was to call my MWs early on in labour. Ok maybe the first time I called it was really early! (I didn't realise I was going to be ages yet, being my first) I had 2 assesments before 1 stage labour was established; I was in latent labour for an age! But it helped my MWs co-ordinate who was going to be with me when I needed them. The MW who came to us in establised labour only lived round the corner, and my MW (who I had seen for my anti-natal appointments) was able to come as my second MW for the delivery. All you really need for a homebirth is that community MWs co-ordinators number - they will be happy to come out to check you anytime.. so don't feel as you are an experienced mum, that you have to hold on until you can feel the head coming before calling!
Much love, it is going to be amazing!
XxX

Thank you so much for your support, I really appreciate it a lot.

I'll have a look at the NCT website, thank you for that recommendation.

Lol at the comedy situation with a bean chair! :haha::haha:

I think that's what happened when my body took over pushing with DD, I tried to fight it and to take control back and the only way I can describe it is as if I was going through a massively long transition phase (it was actually only 15 minutes but felt like forever).

Because I was only at the birth centre for 45 minutes before DD was born, and I'd been coping absolutely fine before that, not believing I was in labour the midwives have said to ring them when my contractions are 10 minutes apart this time and they'll both come together rather than just one of them then ringing the other one later. I was talking through my contractions every 5 minutes with DD so they didn't realise how far along I was (neither did I obviously). So we'll definitely be ringing them well in time. I mentioned to hubby tonight that it'd be good to ring them sooner rather than later as they can then support him while he supports me, as he said he feels useless sometimes when I'm in labour :hugs:

I remember leaning on the kitchen counter and swaying, swaying is how I coped throughout all of my DD's labour until I got into the pool and she was born 20 minutes later, so it's something I think I may well want to do again this time. I remember doing it on the stairgate as well, but we haven't got that downstairs this time, only the one at the top of the stairs.

Out of interest, where in your house and in what position did you end up delivering your little one?

xx

I know of 2 places that hire out the Birth Pool in a Box, try giving them a ring, you never know- they might have one in stock for you!

https://www.mothernurturedoula.co.uk/Birth-Pool---TENS-machine-hire.html (friend of mine)

https://www.waterbabybirthingpoolhire.co.uk/ (where I've hired my pool from)

Thank you for those websites, I'll have a look now :flower:

xx

Hiya,
Have you looked on ebay for the birth pool? There are a couple on there with express delivery (2 days) and you may find one near to you that is pick up? (that's what I did :) )
Keep listening to your hypnobirthing tracks and maybe do the fear release one? I think it's pretty normal to have wobbles.
Keeping everything crossed for you.
Love Ceri xx

Thank you, I really appreciate your support.

I'm watching a pool on e-bay at the moment and it's not very expensive but I need to contact the seller re postage as she'd rather it was collection but will arrange courier if necessary.

What's the fear release track on the hypnobirthing? I've been using natal hypnotherapy which is different to the original hypnobirthing so I don't know which track you mean.

xx

Hi. Being in labour at home is SO much more relaxed. You are in your own environment and have much more control and choice. Plus you can eat and drink whatever you like!

My OH made a 'delivery den' on the floor out of sofa cushions and covered it in a shower curtain. Try and get your OH 100% onboard and supportive.

You have done this before, have faith in yourself and your body! :)

And if you can't cope, you can always transfer into hospital. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good luck lovely!

Thank you for your support, I really appreciate it :flower:

When I was at home in labour with DD I was coping fine, I was sure I wasn't in labour then she was born 45 minutes after we got to the birth centre. So I'm hoping this time will be as relaxing as that was, especially with my hypnotherapy tracks on to keep me focused.

I think the problem when my body started pushing by itself with DD was that I tried to fight it which was horrible, rather than being relaxed and letting my body do it's stuff. I wasn't prepared for it at all as I'd had to physically push myself when in labour with DS, I had full control over it whereas I didn't with DD.

xx

Try looking on ebay but also contact any local home birth groups, quite a few there have pools you can hire!

Good luck!

(Wobbles are normal, go with what you ultimately feel deep down you want to do!)

Thank you, I really appreciate your support :flower:

I looked on the homebirth website for local homebirth groups in my area and there weren't any very close to me, they were all over an hour away. I'll see if I can get in touch with any of them though and see what they say, thank you for that suggestion.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->