GP prescribed 19 month old with Pholcodine cough medicine

nicksi27

Reaction score
.....but the leaflet with the medicine says not to be given to under 6year olds. I only read this afterwards :( it's to stop his dry cough and he's now napping and hasn't coughed once.

Would u keep giving him it? His gp is very experienced and the pharmacist who dispensed the medicine didnt question it

Bit confused!

:hugs: my son has epilepsy and his specific med also says not for under 6. He's been on it since 2. If unsure just ring th chemist x

You can always call and ask about it. Our pediatrician did this before when my son was a baby, and I called to inquire about the age thing. She said that yes, it is meant for older than the age on the bottle, but exceptions can be made when symptoms warrant it and outweigh the risk, and dosage is adjusted to suit age. I would question it every time it comes up, though, just to be sure. With something like that, I want reassurance that its necessary and okay.

About 5 years ago all the cough products (except things like glycerol) were repackaged as they were no longer recommended for children under 6. I personally wouldn't want to give it to my LO. But I wouldn't worry about the fact you've already used it, I'm sure your LO is fine, but it's just not recommended anymore. I think it's odd the GP gave it because they rarely give cough mixtures out anyway!

My GP prescribed some cough mixture (available off the shelf) when my son was 12 months and a cough was making him throw up in his bed. The recommendation says not for under 6 on the bottle, but doc said they are actually very very safe for otherwise healthy children whose parents clearly understand dosages. People can get a bit blasé about off-the-shelf medicine but if you are capable of following instructions, there should be no issue with it at all.

I had pholcodeine recently for a dry cough and it was the only cough medicine I've ever had that worked! Like pp have said id ring the docs and ask

Medicine trials aren't done on very small children, so unfortunately, NO medicines are shown to be safe for very small children. Instead, they just take a guess at what's safe. Some guesses are good guesses and others, after decades of use with children, a negative pattern pops up. I personally wouldn't give cough medication unless the cough was extreme. I also don't do cold medicine. I just let things run their natural course unless it's something that NEEDS medical intervention.

Studies have shown that medications that are effective for adults are not generally effective on children under 6. So now ALL cold medicines (at least in the US) say "not for children under 6" it isn't because they aren't safe, although they can be quite dangerous if not properly dosed, it's just that the benefits (usually not effective) don't outweigh the risks to market them to general public.

Doctor has recommended I give DS benadryl, even though on the box it says "under 6 consult a doctor" (which is actually what I think most say in the US, not that they are unsafe, but to consult a doctor), he said it was perfectly safe as long as you follow the correct dosage. We didn't end up using it, as he miraculously got better after his doctor visit..

If it's been prescribed by the GP and the pharmacist was happy to dispense it then I would have no problem giving it to my child. It wouldn't have been prescribed if the cough wasn't that significant I presume.

If it's been prescribed by the GP and the pharmacist was happy to dispense it then I would have no problem giving it to my child. It wouldn't have been prescribed if the cough wasn't that significant I presume.

This is a good point too. I once had a doctor right the wrong dosage on one of my cough prescriptions, and the pharmacist wouldn't fill it until the doctor corrected the order to the correct dosage (I think he had put one too many 0's in the dosage script?)

I've checked things like this with the GP before. Every time it has been a medicine that is available over the counter and the leaflet is instructing the over the counter purchaser. The doctor prescribed the medicine having made a clinical decision regarding my child as an individual. Never a problem checking with them though!

Hi ladies just a quick update .... I have been giving charlie the medicine but have been giving it in half doses (2.5ml instead of 5ml). I also put my warm air vapourizer in his room last night and his cough decreased so much. The night before was just awful he got no sleep bless him. He slept for 13hrs straight last night!!

The bug he's got has really been a bad one im praying that's it till next winter now. Does anyone know how long toddlers can be more tired for after a viral illness?? He's playing and running around like normal but becomes very tired and naggy really quickly which ain't like him because he's such a happy pleasant baby usually

Medicine trials aren't done on very small children, so unfortunately, NO medicines are shown to be safe for very small children. Instead, they just take a guess at what's safe. Some guesses are good guesses and others, after decades of use with children, a negative pattern pops up. I personally wouldn't give cough medication unless the cough was extreme. I also don't do cold medicine. I just let things run their natural course unless it's something that NEEDS medical intervention.

Doctors don't guess at things. They make informed decisions after years or training , study and further study. PhDs for example. Drugs are nothing to be scared of. It's silly comments like this that fuel movements such as anti-vax.

Hi ladies just a quick update .... I have been giving charlie the medicine but have been giving it in half doses (2.5ml instead of 5ml). I also put my warm air vapourizer in his room last night and his cough decreased so much. The night before was just awful he got no sleep bless him. He slept for 13hrs straight last night!!

The bug he's got has really been a bad one im praying that's it till next winter now. Does anyone know how long toddlers can be more tired for after a viral illness?? He's playing and running around like normal but becomes very tired and naggy really quickly which ain't like him because he's such a happy pleasant baby usually

Take him back to the gp. Not sure you should be choosing the dose. What noon child states above is absolutely correct.

You could always go to a&e and a paediatrician would see you.

Take him back to the gp. Not sure you should be choosing the dose. What noon child states above is absolutely correct.

I chose to give him a half dose because his cough was improving but not completely gone. I don't think the gp would be impressed me going in just to say is it ok to give charlie half a spoon instead of a full spoon. He's fine today and cough has practically gone. :)

I chose to give him a half dose because his cough was improving but not completely gone. I don't think the gp would be impressed me going in just to say is it ok to give charlie half a spoon instead of a full spoon. He's fine today and cough has practically gone. :)

I think it would be different as PP have stated if it was a medicine to treat something, like antibiotics or blood pressure medication, or antidepressants. But cough syrup is solely to treat symptoms, and only as needed, taking less than prescribed is not going to hurt anything but treat less symptoms.

Cool. And the bonus is, next time you won't need to go to the gp at all as you'll be able to get the medicine over the counter and give as Desired. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->