GP's appointment and 'cat got my tongue'....

hastbury

Mam to a Welsh Wolfcub x
Reaction score
Hi to everyone!

I went for an initial appointment today with one of the GPs at my practice, and everything was pretty straightforward, but when she came to asking if I had any questions, I just went blank!

I feel really silly now, as I'd wanted to say about how I want to have as natural a birth as possible, about exercise, about sex, but it all just flew out of my head!

The main part I'm really angry at myself about for not questioning was that she said she would put me down for the local hospital (the midwives come to the GP practice) and whilst she mentioned another hospital, I had planned at this point to ask about birthing centres etc etc but it all just flew away...

She was very nice but did mention a few times how early I was so most things won't happen for a while..I'm 5+2.

has this happened to anyone else? If anyone has any experience of births in SE London area I'd also love to know any tips about options!

Thanks x

TBH most of those questions are best to be put to your midwife anyway. GPs aren't always up to date with the L&D facilities etc in their area as things change rapidly.

When you get your appointment through you can change the place and time if you need to (I did as I needed the local hosp too due to my work hours) and you can also change your hospital/birth place at any point up to 36 weeks (I changed to a birthing unit at 33 weeks with Earl). Try not to worry. You have plenty of time.

Congratulations!! xx

I went completely blank at mine and had loads of questions when I left lol xxx

Thanks ladies!

With this being my first I'm not all too sure about who and what to ask and when etc - I think it just threw me (ironically) that the doc said 'lots of women come in with a long list of questions'!

I'm such a succinct and forthright person normally I think I just felt a bit stupid leaving the room like a doormouse!

I agree, you have plenty of time. You don't need to choose where to give birth right now, you have plenty of time, and also you will have to wait and see if you end up being low risk and allowed to go to the birthing centre. Your midwife can discuss all this with you. Ditto the natural birth, you have a long time to talk about that and find out about it. The GP doesn't need to know about it.

Exercise is fine, just don't overexert yourself with something your body isn't used to, take it a bit easier if necessary and stop if it hurts.
Sex is fine too.

You should see a midwife at 8-10 weeks and that will be a longer appointment. Take a written list of questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->