Gravox gravy and cheese sauce

Macca18

Reaction score
Hello,
I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if it's ok to give tin gravy or cheese sauce to a 7month old? I want to start making him meals but not 100% sure what he can and can't have. I have been giving him the basic vegetables but wanted to try something new. :shrug:

I wouldn't due to the high salt content. Its quite easy to make your own cheese sauce.you just melt butter, add an equal amount of flour, stir til it goes into a ball, add milk, then stir until it is smooth, then add grated cheese. You can add more flour to thicken sauce or more milk to thin it.

As for gravy, we did baby lead weaning so she didn't get gravy at all. I did make her mince and potatoes but I used a tomato based sauce for the mince, more like bolognaise.

She only got gravy for the first time at Christmas, she was 14m and even then it was too rich for her and too salty.

I would say no. It probably has too much added salt. But just leave off the gravy or cheese sauce on his portion and have it for yourself. If it's to go in a recipe, there are sodium free stock cubes you can use or make something like a basic white sauce from scratch, or just make stuff that doesn't need a sauce (like plain pasta or roast chicken, etc.). But yes, mine had everything except whole nuts and honey or much added salt or sugar before 1, no need to stick to just one type of food. Just avoid the super processed stuff for now.

Like others said, it's the salt in pre-packaged and convenience foods that is the issue. I got so used to making pasta sauce with no stock cubes (or as she got older a small pinch of stock) that I got used to the taste and would forget to add it to our adult meals!

Regarding gravy I'm afraid I'm a total food snob and have never been able to stomach packet gravy. Gravy from scratch is so yum in comparison. Your baby can have gravy from scratch if the meat it comes from is prepared without salt and no stock is added (or zero salt stock), but a lot of people prep a roast with salt so that would make it unsuitable.

Thank you everyone. I think i woll just stay away from it all in till he is older. Does anyone know if reduced salt chicken stock ok to cook his vegetables in and bled together? Or is that a big no no aswell?

I've never cooked vegetables in stock and at 7m I certainly didn't blend vegetables, I'd say it is unnecessary.

Maybe buy a baby cook cook. I heard the Annabelle Karmel books are good (not sure I spelled her name right)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->