Green Poo - TMI

Storm7

Reaction score
Hi all,

My 5 week old little girl has had a bit of an upset stomach over the last few days and I just thought I would see if any of you had had similar problems.

On Friday she started throwing up after each feed, it was quite a bit but mucusy (she's had a cold so I thought initially it might be her way of clearing the mucus out). I spoke to my health visitor about another issue and she said that maybe Avi is being greedy and eating too much which leads to her bringing some back but that as she is breastfed they can't tell.

Then yesterday she started having green, mucusy poo which made her scream as it passed through her system/into her nappy. She was also constantly on the breast from 6 till midnight (she normally sleeps from 10/11 till 6 so not like her).

Today her poo is less green but she still wants to feed pretty much constantly from 2.30 till now she falls asleep at the breast sometimes and then screams on waking till she gets fed again.

Has anyone been through similar? Should I be concerned about the green poo? (She has had plenty of wet nappies throughtout and was 7 lb 10 oz at birth and was 9 lb 2 oz on Wed at 5 weeks.).

My lo sometimes has 'a' green poo and I am not too concerned as its always a one off, if it continues I would get in touch with your hv :) Maybe it will pass when her cold does, expect bubs to cluster feed on the evenings, she may be going through a growth spurt, I actually miss our cluster feeds, my lo only feeds for 5 minutes at a time now :(

Sounds like she has a food allergy, take her to the doctor and they can help you determine what you are eating that she is allergic or sensitive to. One of the most common ones is milk protein.

It may be a food allergy/intolerance but that isn't usually the cause; I'd say it probably is due to the cold or maybe a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance caused by her feeding a lot (this should be temporary) if it continues for another couple of weeks though then look at your diet xx

Has she had a vaccine recently? My LO has had green poo for a few days after his vaccination. He also broke out in a rash.

Googles and found out that the virus in vaccines suh as the Rotavirus and MMR can cause green poo.

Thanks for the replies.

No vaccines as yet so not linked to that. The poos have returned to yellow again this morning so I will see if we get a change in them again. She seems to want to feed constantly today too so possibly the 6 week growth spurt come early. I barely made it through the last one so fingers crossed I'll cope. Doesn't help when people keep suggesting that if I just gave her formula she would settle better and be fuller. Grrr

Actually, feeding formula may give moregreen poo if your baby's digestive system doesn't agree with it.

Another reason for green poo has to do ith foremilk and hindmilk. If not mistaken, if LO drinks more foremilk (more watery), there's a tendency for getting green poo. It was advices to finish drinking from one boob before moving to thennext boob so that LO gets both foremilk and hindmilk.

I tend to feed from one side for around three hours (however many feeds she has in that time) then switch so hopefully that should be going some way towards preventing the fore/hindmilk imbalance.

Alice always used to get a few green poos after having a virus. If she's had a cold, that's probably it.

Found this site by a paediatrician describing poo colours. Quite interesting.

https://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html

Thanks for that link i think its really quite helpful and his advice seems on whole very accurate and correct to the subject

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->